Alaska 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like they just crossed the border at Sumas and are making tracks for home!

Can't wait to hear about the adventure.

--G

Home safe. Approximately 800 miles ridden today
smile.png
One hell of an adventure. Stories and pictures to follow in the coming days and weeks.

760 miles for the day... that's 10 miles into the 'The pain in my ass is now in my Neck' ...phase.
Well done Passengers... and Pilots.
That's hilarious! Yeah, at 760 miles my ass will be screaming bloody murder and it will make me pay dearly!!
dribble.gif
Was really 505 for the day.

Quite a push, 1300 miles in two days. I'm looking forward to talking to you guys as next year I'm hoping to head that way.

I bet it was nice to get in your own bed.

Ride Reports like this are both inspiring and depressing. You guys have done a remarkable thing and I admire you for it. I admire the ladies for their part even more.

You have me depressed because I do not have the time, the resources, or perhaps the courage to undertake something like this myself. Also it makes my "Big Trips" seem puny and dull by comparison.

Thank you for sharing this, I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

The missus has the official confirmed animal sighting count, these numbers do not include any seen in Denali National Park. Just the one's we found tooling around:

1 weasel

1 caribou

1 fox

2 wild sheep

13 bears

20 moose

75+ bison

deer (did not count)

Eagles, otters, seals, whale spouts, black swans, and a bunch of other stuff as well.

A few statistics:

6353 Miles traveled over 17 days

Shortest day - 0 miles

Longest 786 miles

Approximately 250 miles of gravel roads

164.10 gallons of gas

38.71 mpg (two up towing a trailer for most of the trip - 2 days i n Seward left trailer at camp)

$187.93 Cost per day including repairs (1 tire, 4 bearings, 1 auto shop to press in bearings, and tours taken)

Value of the adventure with my wife and great friends - priceless

Last edited by a moderator:
@Panman...there is NOTHING better than the first night combo of your own shower and your own bed. I did not want to get out of either one.
I know how we felt after our 1156 mile run in 18 Hr's.

DSCN5594_zpskuhd1tez.jpg

Felt like Zombies

DSCN5592_zpsiieqbshc.jpg

I think we all slept pretty good at the Motel that night!

A few statistics:

Shortest day - 0 miles

Longest 786 miles

164.10 gallons of gas

38.71 mpg (two up towing a trailer for most of the trip - 2 days i n Seward left trailer at camp)

$187.93 Cost per day including repairs (1 tire, 4 bearings, 1 auto shop to press in bearings, and tours taken)

The Memory's you guys will have from this trip will be priceless & last the rest of your live's!

Awesome trip, I'm really looking forward to the full report.

Redfish Hunter posted:
Ride Reports like this are both inspiring and depressing. You guys have done a remarkable thing and I admire you for it. I admire the ladies for their part even more.

You have me depressed because I do not have the time, the resources, or perhaps the courage to undertake something like this myself. Also it makes my "Big Trips" seem puny and dull by comparison.

Thank you for sharing this, I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
What he said. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

A few statistics:

Shortest day - 0 miles

Longest 786 miles

Approximately 250 miles of gravel roads

164.10 gallons of gas

Spotwalla track overview of the trip (you can go here to drill down and see the roads)

Alaska%202016%20Route_zpsgp70kxho.png

It has been a couple of weeks since we got home. Had some time to sort through some of the 3000+ pictures that the Mrs. took.

I want to go back and add a few pictures:

Day 6 leaving Fairbanks and heading to Denali NP.

As we were looking off to the south at the amazing mountain ranges and climbing a nice grade, this came up on our right. I did a double take, and asked Mrs. AuburnFJR if she saw what I did? The answer was affirmative. Followed by should we go back and get a picture? The others were too far ahead of us to advise, so we kept going. Thus this picture is from skinny dicks halfway inn website

Skinny%201_zpsoiyncxvt.jpg

Skinny%202_zpsivgzvq4e.jpg

Needless to say we laughed pretty hard about that all day.

Later that morning, upon entering Denali NP

IMG_0340a_zpscamfk1fz.jpg

Traffic stopped as we got about 1/4 mile into the park entrance to see this:

IMG_0353a_zpsq910gkw8.jpg

and this (can you find the moose)

IMG_0359a_zps2r0vlog5.jpg

Day 7 Denali to Anchorage to Seward

One of the most beautiful valleys to drive through on the whole trip is south of Denali heading to Anchorage.

IMG_0440a_zps6xdzyvtw.jpg

IMG_0442a_zpsk6txypjx.jpg

South of Anchorage headed to Seward along the Turnagain Arm

IMG_0478a_zpsm6e7m1mn.jpg

The Chugach (CHOO gash) National Forest - 2nd largest national forest in the United States 10,795 square miles (almost 7 Million acres)

Turnagain Pass

IMG_0596a_zpsvyk4j1cx.jpg

IMG_0606a_zpsih8qaqnt.jpg

Seward, AK

IMG_0662a_zpsnpxrhk7l.jpg

IMG_0672a_zpsoyv1owta.jpg

While we were base camped in Seward for 4 days, we did two day trips without the trailers.

Day 8 was a trip from Seward to Whittier through the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel to ride the Klondike Express out onto Prince William Sound for a glacier and marine mammal site seeing tour. About 5 hours round trip on the sound.

We got about 20 miles outside of Seward and BeamerReamer realized they need to fill up as Moose Pass didn't have any gas as they thought it would. They had to turn around and go back to Seward for fuel because we didn't have our trailers or there spare fuel can.

The tunnel is only one way and runs every hour, with motorcycles going last.

waiting for the BeamerReamers to catch back up.

IMG_0697a_zpsxygtacyf.jpg

Drizzled the whole time

IMG_0698a_zpseqneiund.jpg

Exiting the tunnel on the Whittier side (about 2 miles long) - glad we didn;t bring the trailers. The rails would have played havoc with stability going through.

IMG_0702a_zps9fjirtku.jpg

Day 8 continued:

We were on the Klondike Express. I highly recommend this tour, it was breathtaking. The crew was amazing and the scenery was...the pictures do not even come close to doing justice to what we saw. The following is just a sample of what you will see.

IMG_1290a_zpsncmmhwum.jpg

IMG_1287a_zpsxz4s3bfa.jpg

IMG_1292a_zpsbmvxkasi.jpg

IMG_0754a_zpseudtxrag.jpg

IMG_0759a_zpsxhdwzdws.jpg

IMG_0772a_zpsnnedtb0y.jpg

IMG_0802a_zpsrngbsuty.jpg

IMG_1298a._zpsfxjbwios.jpg

IMG_0814a_zpso0r999cj.jpg

IMG_1301a_zpsjbis7dnv.jpg

IMG_1312a_zpsmqb7nyew.jpg

IMG_1318a_zpsvyohflf8.jpg

IMG_1325a_zpsgb9tbmrs.jpg

IMG_0849a_zpsozkeyfuy.jpg

IMG_1335a_zps6geovst6.jpg

IMG_0859a_zpstgbzefd3.jpg

IMG_0867a_zpsnfa3aq0x.jpg

IMG_0885a_zpsyn8gd5bt.jpg

IMG_1361a_zpsjicoqwbd.jpg

IMG_1362a_zpscbjjnkue.jpg

IMG_1363a_zpsrtn0afgl.jpg

IMG_1364a_zpsjikld7go.jpg

IMG_1388a_zps25ttuu2o.jpg

IMG_1394a_zpsu5azsvzu.jpg

IMG_1397a_zpsj7g9wfse.jpg

Our better halves:

IMG_0945a_zpssjnv2uva.jpg

A couple of Bald Eagles

IMG_1409a_zpskxaq8je8.jpg

Day 9 was a day off the bikes.

Day 10 was a day trip to Homer, AK

One of the main modes of transportation to the remote areas of Alaska

IMG_1016a_zps5uuaug4f.jpg

IMG_1031_zps9sjvbfbf.jpg

IMG_1053_zpslsgocqau.jpg

The BeamerReamers

IMG_1059_zpsy9ai12p3.jpg

IMG_1070_zpsuwn5ouno.jpg

IMG_1075_zpspnw3jbws.jpg

IMG_1085_zpsrqwego7l.jpg

IMG_1091_zpsfjmoqhsx.jpg

IMG_1098_zpsvmwfykhe.jpg

A sudden downpour and a wood deck bridge...

IMG_1112_zpsrqcfgskg.jpg

and the flat tire problem starts

IMG_1114a_zpslphkwsiv.jpg

IMG_1135a_zpscjptk4a3.jpg

We had 4 more tries and a phone call to EscapreFJRist to learn we need to cut the strings closer to the tire so they would not pull out.

On the way back to Seward we had just left Soldotna and a very large cow moose and her two calves walked across the road stopping all traffic. We weren't close enough to get them on the road, but just off the road.

IMG_1144a_zpso9hmtgkx.jpg

the site of the 5th and final string we had to do. Got it right this time.

IMG_1158a_zpszd8pj7zu.jpg

waiting for the glue to dry

IMG_1166a_zpsffzy9nkh.jpg