Alaska 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pterodactyl" data-cid="1313571" data-time="1464281667"><p>

There are plenty of places to have tires mounted along the way. Anchorage: multiple bike shops and Alaska Leather. Palmer: the Abby. Fairbanks: Four bike shops and Adventure Cycle Works. Tok: CJ's. Dawson: The Dick. Whitehorse: The Honda dealer. Watson Lake: See the owner of the Airforce Inn for advice.<br />

<br />

To each there own, but I don't carry tires. Plugs and tubes should get you to a place where you can get tires. But, if I were pulling a trailer, then I might think differently. It certainly cannot hurt to have tires available all the time... along with a bottle of Irish to see you through the dismount and mounting.</p></blockquote>

Very limited wifi tonight. Only carrying the tires and tools to put on if we should slice one on gravel. Otherwise we will plug and change them at local shop somewhere. Brought the tires to make sure we weren't stuck waiting for one to ship in and we had the means to carry them

We're doing the road we'll have about 60 miles of gravel on the road from Chicken over the Top of the World road toward Campbell and take the road south to Whitehorse.

We are in for the night at Hixon...had a couple of hours of rain over the 550 miles but more than manageable...

Tomorrow is the start of the wildlife dodging...saw 40 bears in a day in 2011 when we ran that section.

Weather looks iffy for the next bit which puts a damper on the photo taking.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Uncle Hud" data-cid="1313589" data-time="1464284709"><p>

They're in Canada ....</p></blockquote>

We been calling it Canuk-a-stan. 200+/- miles of rain today. One roadside chat with a sheriff - no performance awards distributed 😎

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Uncle Hud" data-cid="1313589" data-time="1464284709"><p>They're in Canada ....</p></blockquote>

We been calling it Canuk-a-stan. 200+/- miles of rain today. One roadside chat with a sheriff - no performance awards distributed
In Canada or perhaps just British Columbia persons caught at 20 or 30 kph over the limit can have their vehicle impounded. The performace awards get pricey then. I am sure AuburnFJR is well aware of this but others following this thread may not. Be safe out there. Hopefully the vegatation is cut away from road shoulders as they are in the Jasper area - that sure helps spot critters and gives you a fighting chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
punk.gif
Great trip! Pulling for nice weather and safe travels..

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Uncle Hud" data-cid="1313589" data-time="1464284709"><p>They're in Canada ....</p></blockquote>

We been calling it Canuk-a-stan. 200+/- miles of rain today. One roadside chat with a sheriff - no performance awards distributed
In Canada or perhaps just British Columbia persons caught at 20 or 30 kph over the limit can have their vehicle impounded. The performace awards get pricey then. I am sure AuburnFJR is well aware of this but others following this thread may not. Be safe out there. Hopefully the vegatation is cut away from road shoulders as they are in the Jasper area - that sure helps spot critters and gives you a fighting chance.
If you have ever traveled with those two couples they don't travel slow. When we rode from Pasco Wa to Williams Az we averaged 64 miles an hour for 1150 miles in 18 hours pulling trailers and two of us stock tanks.

When George and I went up the Cassiar and back down 97 that is one thing that really stuck out is how far back the roads were cut. Grazing land for the wildlife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Small issue this morning. Was smelling antifreeze. The overflow bottle was almost empty, temp was registering steady 4 bars. Fluid around the top of of the bottle. No drips under the bike. Cap was loose. I always carry a bottle of the Honda premixed with me. Took about a cup to fill. Looks like all is good but will be monitoring to be sure.

So...I pulled a wheelie at about 200KPH and passed a mounty hiding behind a Tim Horton's right in town there, eh. He pulled me over a ways down the road and then politely asked Colleen to keep her top down next time, it was too distracting for that time of day.
damn I ran out of likes before Pops did.

the sealaska was closed. Doesn't look like it has been open for a while. Staying at the Bear River RV park just as you enter Stewart. Nice place. Had the fish and chips at the Glacier Inn, could not find Huddy Bear.

Another change since we were last here in 2011, the roads are paved in Hyder. Who would have thunk??

wifi is limited, so no pictures yet. Coolant problem is fixed, loose cap on the overflow bottle.