Alaska 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kev...it is at least all of 408 miles to the Yukon. Why you got to round down? Still 1200+ to Fairbanks.

G, shush it about the rain. We got pretty lucky today and it would be sweet to pack a dry camp in the morning.

Good place to camp is Nugget City. It is a couple of miles west of the intersection of the Cassiar with the ALCAN: 400+ miles from Hyder. They have cabins too, and a decent restaurant called the Wolf It Down Inn. Better food then the standard roadhouse fare. Fuel as well.

Had the fish and chips at the Glacier Inn, could not find Huddy Bear

Ahhh man. I paid good money for that bear. Ok, I paid $5. I bet he was infested with bedbugs or such.

408 Miles didn't take very long.
punk.gif
Looks like they are at Junction 37 already.

Wonder if they are going to camp at Nugget City ... or if they want to make some more miles.

If you stop at Nugget City, then there are two places I can recommend for the next night.

A short day will be 275 miles to Takahini Hot Springs on the Klondike Highway, ten or so miles north of the ALCAN. Camping is good and the hot springs are great.

A better option is to go to Haines Junction, 360 miles. Turn off the ALCAN at the Raven Motel on your right as you enter town. A block down on the left is a bakery with great pastries, sandwiches and coffee. Behind the bakery is the Paddle Wheel. They rent canoes and other equipment, but also have two cabins that they rent for $90 (2 years ago). They have cable TV, running water, wood stove heat and share a bath/toilet facility.

And, there is a Provincial liquor store on the left just past where the ALCAN turns to the right

Last edited by a moderator:
We hit the junction early and decided to keep going since the weather was good. We want to get into Fairbanks by mid-day Monday.

Tough to post pics here so far...sketchy Internet and long days on the road. I think my Facebook page is public...you can find a smattering of daily pictures there. You can find me by searching David Killough...Maple Valley WA, currently has Memorial Day themed profile pictures.

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone. I hope I can pay my respects in Fairbanks somewhere.

Just passed through Beaver Creek, Yukon Terr. Looks like they are doing another long day and long mileage but they are just so capable it does not worry me.

A-way up north (North to Alaska)

Way up north (North to Alaska)

North to Alaska

They go north, the rush is on

North to Alaska

They go north the rush is on

Thanks Johnny Horton I think ...

Just passed through Beaver Creek, Yukon Terr. Looks like they are doing another long day and long mileage but they are just so capable it does not worry me.
A-way up north (North to Alaska)

Way up north (North to Alaska)

North to Alaska

They go north, the rush is on

North to Alaska

They go north the rush is on

Thanks Johnny Horton I think ...
Thanks for keeping us informed.

Stopped at Border City motel. Discovered the loose cap on the radiator over flow wasn't the problem while waiting to cross the border.

Problem turned out to be a loose hose clamp under the radiator cap. Heat cycled last night all appears to be good.

Did about 50 miles of gravel yesterday on Yukon 1. Some was just about as good as pavement and some was the worst I have ever ridden. Slick, wet, deep gravel, huge side winds and hail.

Very limited wifi, and rain has limited pictures and ride reports. Hopefully tonight we'll have better coverage in Fairbanks