Audiovox Cruise Control-Problem Solved?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NEW PROBLEM

Well as I posted last night all was well with the AVCC. Today on the way home from church, I hit the rev limiter and did not think anything about it when I got to the interstate I went to set the AVCC and the power light would come on and then shut off. If I held the power on the CC would set until I let off on the power switch. When I got home I checked the power lead and the fuse and I have power to the circuit board. So did hooking to the orange wire at the ecu, have something to do with the rev limiter? I guess if someone has a circuit board I could buy from them I could do a check. So you may not want to get to close to the REV LIMITER. Before I get lambasted I know I should not have hit it in the first place, I was having to much fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't get blasted for bumping the rev limiter, this bike does not rev very high and in the lower two gears it's really easy to hit it. Been there, done that many time (actually).

Can't think why it would have any effect on your CC though. I'd recheck all connections, mostly the ground though.

FWIW, I left the wire on the coil and just did the switch and it's working just fine.

[quote name='scottsbmw' date='Jun 15 2008, 12:18 PM' post='434895'

EDIT FIXED NEW PROBLEM

Well as I posted last night all was well with the AVCC. Today on the way home from church, I hit the rev limiter and did not think anything about it when I got to the interstate I went to set the AVCC and the power light would come on and then shut off. If I held the power on the CC would set until I let off on the power switch. When I got home I checked the power lead and the fuse and I have power to the circuit board. So did hooking to the orange wire at the ecu, have something to do with the rev limiter? I guess if someone has a circuit board I could buy from them I could do a check. So you may not want to get to close to the REV LIMITER. Before I get lambasted I know I should not have hit it in the first place, I was having to much fun.

FIXED

The AVCC modular plug under the tank has the red pin pull out of the plastic and was not making contact.

All praise to Ross! :yahoo:

In anticipation of my trip to Asheville this Friday, I finally got around to changing the dip switch #7 to "off". That's all I did; no relocation or shortening of the blue wire.

Went out for a 50 mile test ride on the super-slab and the thing held 100%, even at speeds of 80 mph+. It also seemed to maintain speed better, whereas before it would wander and hunt ever so slightly.

It will be nice not having to cover the throttle in anticipation of the CC cutting out, which would usually happen when some cage was tailgating my ass. :angry:

Thanks again! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here! 1,000 miles this weekend with lots of high speed CC operation including steep climbs and high winds. Not one single cut out! All I did was change #7 to "off". Left the blue wire on the coil.

Timalan
You are welcome to use my garage to help with anyone who wants to install the cruise.

I'm 5 miles due west of the FAA in OKC.

I might be interested in doing my 07 if I had help. But there is no way I would tackle that by myself.

Glenn
Dang Glenn I just saw your post.

We actually did the install On a couple of bikes here at my shop(work) Inside in the airconditioning. That was freekin cool of my boss to let us IN the shop.

Both installs are working to the best of my knowledge. I wish I'd seen your post. CHRIS D rode over from OKC Sat Morn, you could have joined him.

FWIW, I only really lended space and helping hands. I didn't really "do" anything but help out.

It also seemed to maintain speed better, whereas before it would wander and hunt ever so slightly.
Mine still wants to wander +/- 3-4 mph even on flat terrain as it did before I switched #7 to off. Doesn't do it rapidly, but still doesn't hold as steady as a car. In hills it's even worse, might finish it's acceleration at the top of the hill and then decell going down the hill.... at the bottom it will be at the - side of this pattern and it will jerk hard trying to get back to it's set speed and will then go to the extreme on the + side. It usually smooths out quickly, but as stated, even on a flat surface it wanders up and down slowly.

It also seemed to maintain speed better, whereas before it would wander and hunt ever so slightly.
Mine still wants to wander +/- 3-4 mph even on flat terrain as it did before I switched #7 to off. Doesn't do it rapidly, but still doesn't hold as steady as a car. In hills it's even worse, might finish it's acceleration at the top of the hill and then decell going down the hill.... at the bottom it will be at the - side of this pattern and it will jerk hard trying to get back to it's set speed and will then go to the extreme on the + side. It usually smooths out quickly, but as stated, even on a flat surface it wanders up and down slowly.
That is exactly how mine behave when the chain/cable was hanging up in the Stainless tube I made for it. I since removed hangups and it works well now.

What switch setting did you use for "sensitivity" (switches #4 & #5)?

4 on, 5 off is "light , high horsepower vehicles" which seems to work fine.

both off is "medium"

4 off, 5 on is heavy, low power vehicles.

If you used "medium" you may want to try "light" and see if that helps, or vice versa.

Timalan
You are welcome to use my garage to help with anyone who wants to install the cruise.

I'm 5 miles due west of the FAA in OKC.

I might be interested in doing my 07 if I had help. But there is no way I would tackle that by myself.

Glenn
Dang Glenn I just saw your post.

We actually did the install On a couple of bikes here at my shop(work) Inside in the airconditioning. That was freekin cool of my boss to let us IN the shop.

Both installs are working to the best of my knowledge. I wish I'd seen your post. CHRIS D rode over from OKC Sat Morn, you could have joined him.

FWIW, I only really lended space and helping hands. I didn't really "do" anything but help out.

The cruise so far is working great. :yahoo: It will make a big difference on the ride back to GA.

Don't let Timalan fool you, he went way above & beyond helping us install the CC. Thanks again Tim!!!

both off is "medium"
Those are the settings I used, light vehicle / high horsepower. I've looked for snags in the system but don't seem to have any. Vacumn is taken from all four ports with check valves installed.

Does anyone else experience some drifting up and down in speed? Or for the most part does the AVCC on your bike hold a steady speed? (Again, in a level grade mine will slowly go +/- 3mph very slowly. In the hills this can cause a jerk when correcting down a hill or starting up a hill and the +/- increases).

Check for slack in the bead chain that connects to the throttle tab. There should be as little play as possible without interfering with the tab being able to sit on the idle stop. If there is slack it is most likely your problem.

both off is "medium"
Those are the settings I used, light vehicle / high horsepower. I've looked for snags in the system but don't seem to have any. Vacumn is taken from all four ports with check valves installed.

Does anyone else experience some drifting up and down in speed? Or for the most part does the AVCC on your bike hold a steady speed? (Again, in a level grade mine will slowly go +/- 3mph very slowly. In the hills this can cause a jerk when correcting down a hill or starting up a hill and the +/- increases).
Mine is rock steady on level ground. +/- 2 mph on steep hills.

Do you have an extra vacuum pot installed? I have the standard 6" length of 1.5" PVC with caps. I'm running only a single vacuum tap with check valve.

And as many check valves as Smitty has installed, he's had MANY check valves be CRAP right out of the package. But your servo cable may be a slacker! :rolleyes:

Hmm, mine surely is not rock stable on level surfaces. Cable has very little slack, I had to redo that early on in order to get it to engage quicker. I have a vacumn cannister made out of 1 1/2" PVC that's about 5 inches long.

Just wanted to say thanks to rfulcher, and everyone who worked on this problem. It looks like the Gen II problem is solved. On that note.. if anyone would like my cruise service for Gen II bikes ( and Gen I) I will start doing them again. Contact me thru a PM. Thanks everyone, Smitty

Thank you rfulcher! I finally have flawless system thanks to your contribution. I already had the blue wire shorten, just changed the dip switch setting. I have the CC unit under the tank and was able to change the switch without removing the coolant pipe.

I tested it at 25MPH and at 90, worked perfect. THANK YOU !!