Candy Butt Association 800

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in Yreka where the hell is Wheatie?
What? You think I hang out in one spot? That is soooo last week.

I do think there is a good diner in town...the Black Bear Diner or sumpin, if I'm rememberin right.

That's when FJRay let the air out of my tires and said I had a flat.

Seriously though Don...we're all thinking about you. Keep your chin up.

Is that why you tipped my bike over the next day???
smile.png

Arrived safe.

The CBA 800 is now transforming to the CBA 800 part two come next Sunday.

The good news is that Pops made very good progress today - even the Docs are impressed.

I see Dad tomorrow morning and get to talk to the Doc directly.

He is scheduled for a lot of tests in the morning.

Apparently, a swallowing problem is allowing fluid into the lungs causing pneumonia. The thickened liquid diet he's on leads to dehydration, which causes renal problems which stresses the heart and the next thing you know a kind man is believing all the nurses are trying to kill him by pushing him down a flight of stairs.

Fo now, off to the jacuzzi. My little Candy BUTT did fine, but the back and left hip are talking loud right now.

Thank You All for the Very Kind Words.. appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
2014-04-16 CBA 800Permalink Submitted by dcarver on Thu, 04/17/2014 - 09:30.

Rode up I5 yesterday to see Pops. I have Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat. Leave Sunday early, work on Monday.

Rear tire is a bit sketchy for the ride home.. may need to replace it. Ray says he's 3 hours away and has a tire changer.. but that's 6 hours + change time. Need to think this one through some more.

The ride was uneventful. For the first real time, I now appreciate having aux fuel on board. It's nice to know you can ride the 350 miles or so between tanks.. it helps when there is a fairly long ride ahead. The CC surges sometimes; when it accelerates, it hits really hard. As in BANG. Most of the time though, it works flawless. The sound system got fuzzy twice... Reseating the Zumo 550 into the cradle fixed it. I need a new cradle. I clean the contact pins.. but the frequency of failure has increased to intolerable, given the relatively cheap replacement price.

Call from Sister - Dad has made really good improvement. His vitals are stable, the kidneys appear to be returning to at least an acceptable if not stellar level. When the kidneys come back, they can admin some 'water pills' to help eliminate the fluid in his system. The fluid is leading to pneumonia.

I didn't get to sleep until after midnight, to jacked up from the ride I guess.

I'm now at Shari's in Keizer, off to see Pops in a bit.

Oh, it's raining, KrZy8 is getting a bath.

Call from Sister - Dad has made really good improvement. His vitals are stable, the kidneys appear to be returning to at least an acceptable if not stellar level. When the kidneys come back, they can admin some 'water pills' to help eliminate the fluid in his system. The fluid is leading to pneumonia.
LIKE!

There is a well thought of Yamaha dealer just a little ways east of Salem. Power Yamaha I think. They could probably do you a tire. If you are coming here let me know and I'll run up to Bend and pick up a tire.

Ray, thanks for the info and offer to make a Bend run for a tire.. Looking at tire carefully today, I can make it back. I'll check again tomorrow and rotate it 360 to be sure I don't have any really skinny patches. It's a PR2, other 2's I've run don't tend to wear incredibly fast like some other brands, cough-cough Avon.

Dad took a turn today, which further reduces any 'free' time to get a tire..

2014-04-17 - 9:00 pm HallucinationsPhone call from rest home while at dinner. Please come back now, we need to send Dad to the hospital, you need be here.

He's hallucinating badly and doesn't want to go back to the hospital.

At worst, he's about 50% in and out. He keeps speaking of an older black woman he stumbles upon while walking in a field.
Last time, she was on hands and knees paying homage to her God.

Before dinner, Dad thought he was in a helicopter or had at least flown home in a helicopter.
He actually came home in a van, but I do get the helicopter thing - the van has a lift gate and he felt the sensation of going up and down. And the ride home was 'noisy' with van's interior creaking (like a helicopter might sound).

He moves in and out fluidly. The only visible sign is a slightly different look in his eyes. If you will, the get a long distance stare. Yes, I know he's blind, but if you saw it you would agree.
Is he seeing Jesus? Or just losing his mind? What is normal at this stage?

Long of short, I agreed to spend the night with Pops to make sure he doesn't try to get up without help and/or to call for help if he gets out there - that was the agreement to keep him out of the hospital tonight. He REALLY didn't want to go when delusional and was willing to go if needed when lucid.

So now you know. Pops woke up about 10 minutes ago, said he was having a dream about two friends, something about being Catholic and hoping the children born were all male for some reason he stated but I couldn't make the words out.

To weird for me to grasp...

The ebb and flow of life in and out of Dad at this time is, intellectually speaking, fascinating, and yet emotionally incredibly difficult to witness and try to process. Is this the beginning of the end, or simply the behavior of a very tired 95 year old man?

Hang in there Don -- this part's the hard part. Been through the delusional stuff with both parents, and it's hard. But you're doing good being there for him. Prayers and much mojo to you, your dad and the family.

Brings back memories of... well, this is your road.

"There is a road, no simple highway

Between the dawn and the dark of night

And if you go, no one may follow

That path is for your steps alone" ~ Robert Hunter

Wishing strength, understanding, and peace for you and pop.

Don, a lot of us went through much of this, and most of the rest of us will. Hard to see, but you have to do what you can, and you're doing that.

I walked in on my dad a few years ago, he was sitting on his bed in a darkened room and staring at the window, drapes closed. I asked him what he was doing. "Watching that stop sign. Cars keep going through it." I asked him if he was getting ready to pull them over. Turned out he was really sitting on his police Harley, all ready to go, and it was about 1955. After a while he was fine again, and we had a couple more years with him. He was 93.

I guess "what is normal" is whatever happens. And you take it as it comes, do what you can, and enjoy the moments of clarity. I wish you both well.

Caring for loved ones who are dying knows no energy deprivation bounds.

I travel 14 hours home starting 0400 Easter Sunday - a few short hours from now.

Dad struggles and fights to survive.
Arrangements are in place.

Now off to load the motobike.

Me thinks the ride home will be good for my soul.

Thank You everyone. I suck at this death shit.

Bgross.. Wow. Nice.

Don,

Thought and prayers for you and your dad. Hope the long ride will do you good

I have a rear tire if your need it or anything else as you pass through Redding

Greg