dealers and recalls

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bama FJR

Reaction score
I know this probably belongs under dealers, but since I'm not naming specifics, I thought I would post here.

I'm just curious if anyone else's dealer makes them bring the bike in and and leave it for ever how long it takes them to order and install the recalled parts. Last time it took my dealer 5 weeks to get the parts in and fix my bike (the whole time it sat in their service dept and I was unable to use it). They refuse to order the parts until I do this which is extremley frustrating.

Is this normal or is my dealer just nuts??

Your dealer is nuts. My dealer would order the parts and pull the bike in when they had them all on hand.

I know this probably belongs under dealers, but since I'm not naming specifics, I thought I would post here.
I'm just curious if anyone else's dealer makes them bring the bike in and and leave it for ever how long it takes them to order and install the recalled parts. Last time it took my dealer 5 weeks to get the parts in and fix my bike (the whole time it sat in their service dept and I was unable to use it). They refuse to order the parts until I do this which is extremley frustrating.

Local dealer told me the same thing and even added he had to order the recall parts and not the parts department.

Seems very odd to me.

IMHO -- your dealer is just nuts.

When I got the memo for the AE shifter 'reliability enhancement' (not a safety recall) -- my dealer ordered the parts THEN scheduled me to come in for the service when the parts were at the dealership. (Ward's Yamaha in Troy, AL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your dealer is nuts. My dealer would order the parts and pull the bike in when they had them all on hand.
I think some dealers start the paperwork like the bike is there and then order the parts and call you when they come in. It must be some way of Yamaha keeping track of warranty parts and which bikes got fixed. Otherwise a dealer might order recall parts for bikes that don't exist and the dealer get paid to do repairs by Yamaha. It has happened at car dealers when they get slow.

I have a work order for my trunk recall and I still have my bike. The parts have not come in at the dealer and its been a week since I was supposed to drop it off for repair. I don't know what the real hold up is, and it will get fixed some day. :rolleyes:

Bama,

If you are talking about Recall/Warranty parts, the shop I used called me when they are in.

If you are talking about taking it in for troubleshooting for the unknown, then I have experienced what you are talking about....but only a week 1/2....not 5 weeks.

Sounds like the dealer has to work on paying his bills and credit issues.......

I think he's specifically talking about recall items and not warranty issues.

Assuming the recall issue is one that can be traced by VIN number (like a TPS) then there shouldn't be any reason they should need to see the bike first.

Maybe they're merging their warranty and recall policy together....which they shouldn't. Say, you claim a defective side bag....they're going to want to see that first....and that's reasonable.

If they won't preorder a recall item....take your business elsewhere.

+1 Iggy. My dealer ordered my TPS even before I bought this bike ( had an 03 that needed the TPS before my 05). Any dealer that wants to keep my bike more than they need to doesn't deserve my business.

I am in Oneonta--Smith Brothers Motorcycles 205-274-0789 closed Mondays--they have ordered the top box parts and put my name on the list for repair. I did not buy my bike from them because I was too late to get on their list, but they have always been cooperative. Service manager said he had already ordered a couple of kits, but they are back ordered. He will call me when parts arrive. They have even helped install a few farkles that I was not comfortable tackling. They replaced the odometer-computer under warranty because mpg was registering 17. Ordered part, called me when arrived, took bike in and had it back in half a day. Bike did not have to stay at dealer to have parts ordered. Sounds like your dealer has had problems with ordering parts for individuals and having to eat the cost.

Yep, that stealer is NUTZ, I have a shitty stealer near me and even they will order the parts and call me when they are in, and they can do the repair the same day.

Skippy

Is this the TPS recall? If so, then it is 'safety related' and the documentation does say that the bike should not be ridden until it is repaired - there may well be liability issues related to them knowingly 'letting' you ride when they know that you know that there is a problem of this type.

Top box issues aren't 'safety' in the same sense.

On my TPS recall, I simply gave them my VIN, they ordered the part, and called me to bring in the bike when the part arrived. Total down time was maybe a day or two because of my work schedule and their open hours.

The dealer I use ordered the part, I was already in their computer system and the vin # came up for the recall. Part arrived and they called to notify and arrange an appointment. They did it while I waited. But it was a very expensive wait. I went over to the sales floor and a 650 Wee Strom caught my eye. Just had to have one.

YOU own the bike! Don't let him dictate to you unreasonably. He gets paid for warranty/recall work. If he wants your business, he'll accomodate you better. Otherwise, don't let him waste your time. My dealer said my recalled parts would be in next week. Guess what...I'm not available. They had no problem with me scheduling the repair when I get back from WFO. The problem with my dealer is that his shop is sooo busy it's hard to get in! I think 03HiYoSilver's onto the issue. If, in fact, your dealer's operating that tight, doing things that benefit you are probably not his priority. I'd go elsewhere.

Is this the TPS recall? If so, then it is 'safety related' and the documentation does say that the bike should not be ridden until it is repaired - there may well be liability issues related to them knowingly 'letting' you ride when they know that you know that there is a problem of this type.
Top box issues aren't 'safety' in the same sense.
Yep, this is the top box recall so not really related to safety. What really bothers me the most is the amount of business I've given these guys over the years. The next closest dealer to me would be about 75 miles away which makes it really inconvienent when you have a dealer only 3 miles away.