FJR Freedom - Is there a place that you have not taken your FJR to?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score
Is there a place that you have not taken your FJR to, because it's not a dual-sport such as GS/GSA. S10, etc?

Yeah...All the good dirt trails less than a mile from my house. Up the mountain roads in my mom's back yard. Big Bend Natl park, where I had to borrow a buddies WR250, bunches of Colorado trails with my brother, and FODS.

There are lots of places this bike can't go, because its not built for it. However, I have gone lots of places, far from home that I probably wouldn't have dreamed of if not for the on road capabilities of this bike.

Like anything else, its a trade off...we get some, we lose some. Honestly, with the FJR, I think we get more than we lose.

I'm asking this question, because I currently own a 2007, my wife and I enjoy taking 2 weeks trips. But, I'm thinking about upgrading, I know that 2013 FJR is out, but there is also the BMW GS.

I like the fact that FJR has a low cost of ownership.

I'm asking this question, because I currently own a 2007, my wife and I enjoy taking 2 weeks trips. But, I'm thinking about upgrading, I know that 2013 FJR is out, but there is also the BMW GS.

If you like the low cost of ownership I don't understand why you are looking at a BMW GS assuming you are buying new. I've ridden New Zealand, Iceland, Alaska, Mexico, the Alps and a bunch of other places. Taking a FJR through Copper Canyon would be a big mistake and the same could be said of Iceland since in both cases there were very few paved roads. You can ride a FJR on gravel but it is not much fun when there are other bikes that do it so much better.

For the above reasons this is why I own two motorcycles, my FJR and my WR450F dirt bike. Both are very good at what they do but neither would be good in the other's terrain. We need to know more about what you want to do with your bike before we can make any kind of informed recommendation.

If all you are going to do is run miles down the interstate then buy a Gold Wing. If all you are going to do is go to the local bar then buy a Harley.

I've ridden the S10 and liked the riding style and features, but I think the S10 and GS are too heavy to be dual sports unless driving on gravel constitutes dual. I've been on quite a few gravel roads with the FJR two up and had no problem, add a set of wider bars and the handling would be greatly improved.

I've ridden the S10 and liked the riding style and features, but I think the S10 and GS are too heavy to be dual sports unless driving on gravel constitutes dual. I've been on quite a few gravel roads with the FJR two up and had no problem, add a set of wider bars and the handling would be greatly improved.
That's an opinion which is far from fact. The fact is 1200GSAs are VERY capable off road. I have seen those bikes go all over the place.

When I went to Big Bend, it was with BMW riders, including the Sales manager and Service manager from our local BMW shop. There wasn't anywhere I took that 250 that they didn't take their 1200s. I was however , the only Yamaha there. I was also the only bike that couldn't go over 60-65, and I was the only one that ran out of gas.

Because of weight and the front wheel, sometimes they had to work harder, but those bikes have about the same power to weight ratio as smaller bikes. All they lack are the riders with the ability to ride them.

Don't believe me? PM Patch308. He's my younger brother and rides his everywhere. Maintenance on his BMW is actually easier and just as cheap as my FJR. Today's BMW is not the BMW of 20 years ago, but some people can't let it go. There's a reason the BMW GSA is the most prolific dual-sport bike in the world.

That's an opinion which is far from fact. The fact is 1200GSAs are VERY capable off road. I have seen those bikes go all over the place.

When I went to Big Bend, it was with BMW riders, including the Sales manager and Service manager from our local BMW shop. There wasn't anywhere I took that 250 that they didn't take their 1200s. I was however , the only Yamaha there. I was also the only bike that couldn't go over 60-65, and I was the only one that ran out of gas.

Because of weight and the front wheel, sometimes they had to work harder, but those bikes have about the same power to weight ratio as smaller bikes. All they lack are the riders with the ability to ride them.

Don't believe me? PM Patch308. He's my younger brother and rides his everywhere. Maintenance on his BMW is actually easier and just as cheap as my FJR. Today's BMW is not the BMW of 20 years ago, but some people can't let it go. There's a reason the BMW GSA is the most prolific dual-sport bike in the world.

I always find it interesting that Bmw's & Harleys get bombed for problems and high cost of ownership. I go on Adv rider and with all the bitching you'd wonder why anyone would buy one! I have had two Harleys and a Buell and they were good overall. The main issues were the motor shaking things loose. I rode a 1200 GS through Europe as well and I loved the bike. I wanted one for a long time, but never bought one. I'm glad your keeping an open mind Zill!.Maybe folks expect more perfection for the cost of the buy in?

I guess this is a bit 'off topic', but Zilla raises a good point.

This year I met an 'older' couple (my age) from Washington touring 2up on a GS. They had recently been to New Zealand and rented a new BMW RT, to see how it compared as they were considering buying one. They decided to keep the GS as it was lighter and gave them the option of exploring gravel roads etc.

729.jpg

Al
cold.gif

So you guys really don't think the FJR is capable off-road, eh? Ask extrememarine aboot the time he was following Ashe around and they wound up on the TAT... Or follow Rayzerman around Quebec. 2-up.

There's a reason the BMW GSA is the most prolific dual-sport bike in the world.
I'll give you 2 reasons why, 'Zilla:

1. Charlie

2. Ewan

Hell, there are as many BMW-riding Baja-wanna-bes at Starbucks who think they're bad-ass because they ride a BMW and dress like a power ranger as there are Harley riders who think they're the most bad-ass dentist in town because they ride a Harley and wear a doo-rag and a SOA t-shirt.

Don't believe me? Look at all the used low-mileage garage queen Harleys out there and look at all the used low-mileage, never off-road, never dropped GS's.

I've ridden my S10 pretty hard, and so far have not hurt it. Tires and skid-plates, but not the bike.

It'll go anywhere you want until you run out of ground clearance. Or until your wife tells you to stop and turn around.

Have ridden the FJR on many roads that were not paved. For short distances ok. Not fun being in a perpetual state of pucker. I rode a 1200GS last year in Scotland and found it a very capable bike and, coming off the FJR, Thought it was fairly light for a dual-sport with that size engine. Was 2-up the whole time and didn't do any off road riding, though.

Have ridden the FJR on many roads that were not paved. For short distances ok. Not fun being in a perpetual state of pucker. I rode a 1200GS last year in Scotland and found it a very capable bike and, coming off the FJR, Thought it was fairly light for a dual-sport with that size engine. Was 2-up the whole time and didn't do any off road riding, though.
How would you compare wind protection on GS compared to FJR?

Some of you guys obviously don't have your FJR properly outfitted for off road use...

FJRKnobby.jpg

Seriously, though, even with something like that on there, I wouldn't go off road with it.