FJR vs Connie Head to Head in RoadRUNNER

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought you guys might be interested in the comparo between the FJR and Connie in the April '14 issue of RoadRUNNER. Check it out if you see it on a newsstand.

12620535233_77a0ab3e99_z.jpg

I Have never found a store that carries this mag. Can someone post the Cliff's Notes version at some point? The Feejer is a better bike, I hope they are honest about that.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a coinkydink that "RoadRunnerDavid" is promoting "RoadRunner Magazine"?

I have never seen it either, or maybe I've just never paid attention.

Is it a coinkydink that "RoadRunnerDavid" is promoting "RoadRunner Magazine"?
I have never seen it either, or maybe I've just never paid attention.
I have (or had) a subscription to RoadRunner. It is waaay expensive. It is somewhat interesting but the format for the stories is strange and does not flow well. Each paragraph is a separate little story in itself and I cannot recall ever reading anything else set up that way. I have not seen this issue in my mailbox yet but that is not uncommon. I only received about 1/2 of them. Also, it is not a 12 month publication.

I'm sure that it is cosmic coincidence that the Roadrunner magazine is published in North Carolina and the OP is from North Carolina ;) The magazine was started by an Austrian couple which may influence how it reads.

The FJR comparison starts on page 54. You can read this issue up to page 24 HERE.

I don't think it matters much to me what they say. Unless they want to compare a 2005 FJR to some other bike it is all moot to me. ;)

FYI... it seems David is one of the test riders who wrote the article: reference

One good thing about the mag is that the routes they run in the articles are provided as maps and GPS files ( I believe). They can be saved for future reference...

Why would they test a 2013 FJR ?????

Canadian FJR
Probably at testing time the '14s were not too readily available. Plus that bad ass Red would of really made it an unfair comparison ;)

I don't think it matters much to me what they say. Unless they want to compare a 2005 FJR to some other bike it is all moot to me.
wink.png

FYI... it seems David is one of the test riders who wrote the article: reference
Moot has it; that once the Jeep is paid off, Fred is shopping to upgrade the ole bass-bow-ter!

...just da word on the street :)

My local Barnes n Noble carries this mag. I looked through the previous issue and read that this comparison issue will be on the stands February 26th, fwiw.

I like the mag and I have a subscription. Always a good resource to keep my bucket list growing.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm the photographer for the article, and the reason we used the '13 was that the '14 was not yet available from Yamaha. I won't give away the conclusion, but let's just say we've racked up many more miles on the FJ than the connie (I've got about 2500 on it myself).

And I should say that the one bike that continues to show up in the pages of that magazine just happens to be a 2005 "BassBoteBlue" FJR that they continue to customize and use in just the way that warms every heart on this forum.

The purpose of the magazine is very close to what I want, a big emphasis on touring. My dislikes center on their format, or the presentation of the story. I have never read anything anywhere set up like that and I don't enjoy reading it that way. They do have some excellent maps at the end of every story and Pop and I read and re-read the stories that cover someplace we are interested in going. In fact, it was a story in that mag on The Santa Fe Trail that led us Out West last year.

Now that I think about that, maybe I should make sure my subscription is current...

I think you should post the article here. Even just the text part would be nice.

I get that you are involved to some degree in the production of a magazine, and that putting your work here for free doesnt get your magazine an immediate profit. But... you are generating interest (maybe just this side of advertising?) in your magazine by posting on the forum.

This would be a good opportunity to contirbute to the forum, and, at the same time, maybe generate some new subscribers if some of us find the article well written and want more of the same every other month.

Thanks