FODS IV Oct 8-10, 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi UberKul: Are there map sets you'd recommend I purchase before this weekend? I'm not a GPS guy, in fact I hate GPS. Any maps for the local area you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi UberKul: Are there map sets you'd recommend I purchase before this weekend? I'm not a GPS guy, in fact I hate GPS. Any maps for the local area you recommend?
Not really any maps I can recommend. I'm too cheap to flip for the Garmin topo's so downloaded a freebie off the web that covers some of this area for the 60Cx GPS. I have used the Zumo with City Navigator out there as well which covers most of the dirt roads and works well for getting back to camp. You can see for almost ever in this area. I do a lot of dead reckoning (I ain't dead yet, I reckon I'll go ever there) from hilltops. There are some VERY basic trail maps at the office that show some places of interest and make good day trips. The Ludwig Mine (North) and Pine Grove Mine/ghost town (South) are must-do's if time permits.

I was thinking about taking any brave souls on a ride Sat up to Dayton via the Ludwig mine then over to Carson City for lunch at Q's BBQ. I have not done this ride past the mine before so getting lost will be part of the fun. If no takers a trip south to Pine Grove might be in order. You can get to either in the Jeep. Maybe air down a little for the sand.

The Ludwig Mine (North) and Pine Grove Mine/ghost town (South) are must-do's if time permits.I was thinking about taking any brave souls on a ride Sat up to Dayton via the Ludwig mine then over to Carson City for lunch at Q's BBQ. I have not done this ride past the mine before so getting lost will be part of the fun. If no takers a trip south to Pine Grove might be in order. You can get to either in the Jeep. Maybe air down a little for the sand.
Roughly how far/ how long are these rides? We will be planning our riding around how long we can reasonably leave the dogs chained to the trailer before we need to check in on them.

The Ludwig Mine (North) and Pine Grove Mine/ghost town (South) are must-do's if time permits.I was thinking about taking any brave souls on a ride Sat up to Dayton via the Ludwig mine then over to Carson City for lunch at Q's BBQ. I have not done this ride past the mine before so getting lost will be part of the fun. If no takers a trip south to Pine Grove might be in order. You can get to either in the Jeep. Maybe air down a little for the sand.
Roughly how far/ how long are these rides? We will be planning our riding around how long we can reasonably leave the dogs chained to the trailer before we need to check in on them.
Ludwig Mine can be done in a few hours, I'm guessing 20 miles RT (round trip). The lunch loop would be an all day thing, 100+ miles RT. The Pine Grove ghost town is about 90 miles RT so call that an all day thing as well. There is a super-highway-gravel-road to Pine Grove as well which could turn that trip into a couple hours. There is also a fun little ride over the mountain towards Hwy 339/Yerrington than can be done in an hour or two. It gets a little rocky on the back side though. There is plenty of riding close by and ATV/UTV's in our group staying close to home and taking the short excursions.

I bet money there will be folks around camp enough to keep an eye on the dogs. Our Beagle stays in the trailer during our rides but I swear half her body is bladder. :eek:

We'll be there, but, in a cage :( ...... Doc strongly advises not to motorcycle till the ligaments have time to heal. Been 2 months now and STILL painful --- what am I supposed to do ? Sit on my arse all day :angry:

We'll be there, but, in a cage :( ...... Doc strongly advises not to motorcycle till the ligaments have time to heal. Been 2 months now and STILL painful --- what am I supposed to do ? Sit on my arse all day :angry:
No matter how you arrive, we'll still be delighted to see you both.

I bet money there will be folks around camp enough to keep an eye on the dogs. Our Beagle stays in the trailer during our rides but I swear half her body is bladder. :eek:

I'm sure we'll find plenty of fun places to ride. The dogs are too big to leave inside the trailer, so they will be tied up outside. Of course, they may decide to move our trailer to a different space while we're gone.......

I've been researching the resort website for some fun things to see via the pickup. This is even going to be great for "cripples" like Rog and I.

And, Brad, excellent weather choice...unlike Rich who always plans our rides in the rain.... ;)

If all goes well my son Joe and I will stop by Friday afternoon to say Hi on our way over to Hawthorne for some Dualsporting into Bodie on Saturday. We were to late to get a cabin and he worked at a campground all summer so camping is out ( I can relate). Anyway it would be fun to check on the Fodsters. Heck it's almost been a month since I saw BeemerDon at SWFOG.

With this week's moisture it should be awesome riding this weekend. :yahoo:

The FastJoyRiders are enroute. We made it to Wasco OR tonight, which should make it easy to get to Shasta Lake tomorrow in time to drop off my seat at Russell for a minor repair. See you all in Smith on Friday!

If you are going down 97 give me a shout 541-536-8556 when you get south of Bend. Would love to say hi on your way through.

Ya'll have fun while I work 6x12 at the local nookie plant...
Ah, my other Alma Mater: Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant; ran by Pacific Guess and Estimate; General Foreman for Bechtel Corporation! I spent much more time there than I did at my other Alma Mater: Cal-Poly San Luis Obispo. With seven-day and 14 hour workweeks, I made a hell of a lot of money at Diablo back in the 80's!

If all goes well my son Joe and I will stop by Friday afternoon to say Hi on our way over to Hawthorne for some Dualsporting into Bodie on Saturday. We were to late to get a cabin and he worked at a campground all summer so camping is out ( I can relate). Anyway it would be fun to check on the Fodsters. Heck it's almost been a month since I saw BeemerDon at SWFOG.

Bugnatr and Son Joe, I wish I'd have seen this earlier Guys. I've not heard a single solitary peep out of RenoJohn, I've sent him numerous e-mails and phone calls. I figure he is either in jail or on the run from a jealous husband with a rifle. I would hate to think that he is on the Gay Men's Glee Club Ocean Liner Cruise with Old Michael and ShinyPartsUp, but you never know. "DON'T ASK AND DON'T TELL" is the FJR Forum Club Motto!

So, you two would be welcome to stay in the Seth and Don Stanley cabin this weekend. These cabins are supposed to sleep six; pull out double bed in the front living room; double and two single beds in back bedroom. We'll have our MacBook Pro laptop with us, but better to call us at 480-440-4666.

I've been researching the resort website for some fun things to see via the pickup. This is even going to be great for "cripples" like Rog and I.

And, Brad, excellent weather choice...unlike Rich who always plans our rides in the rain.... ;)
Roger and Mike, Don't forget you're fully welcome to ride in The Stanley Boys Jeep four wheel drive Liberty; got the big cleat mud/snow tires on "Mi Mexico Mule"! I'm not bringing up my DS for just 1 day.

There will be a Coleman cooler in the back and plenty of room for snacks; you two can tell Seth jokes and he can tell you jokes; while you ride along drinking beer on the dirt trails, with a "designated driver"!

Bugnatr and Son Joe, I wish I'd have seen this earlier Guys. I've not heard a single solitary peep out of RenoJohn, I've sent him numerous e-mails and phone calls. I figure he is either in jail or on the run from a jealous husband with a rifle. I would hate to think that he is on the Gay Men's Glee Club Ocean Liner Cruise with Old Michael and ShinyPartsUp, but you never know. "DON'T ASK AND DON'T TELL" is the FJR Forum Club Motto!

So, you two would be welcome to stay in the Seth and Don Stanley cabin this weekend. These cabins are supposed to sleep six; pull out double bed in the front living room; double and two single beds in back bedroom. We'll have our MacBook Pro laptop with us, but better to call us at 480-440-4666.
Thanks Don, I will ask Joe what he thinks but I know he's burned out on campgrounds. I'll call you today. Doug