Forks and Wilbers shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got that... but it didn't say when they wanted them, what the timing was for delivery, how long it would take to do the work, how payment was arranged, and a number of other questions I thought they'd want/need to answer before we got started, especially since Dale made a couple of references to them contacting us in the GB thread. Plus, I responded to that email with some of the questions above, and haven't heard back.
Man, you engineers are fussy types, aint'cha? :lol:

I got the email, filled out and printed the form and shipped the stuff. Man, like, the cosmos is gonna take care of the rest, man, like, you dig?

We had a few e-mails get kicked back at us so that's why some did not get an e-mail, this is what it said.

Thanks for signing up on the FJR1300 group buy.

For those of you sending in forks or shocks or both for the complete fork job or rebuild on the Wilber’s shock please go to www.gpsuspension.com and go to the services tab and click on service order form and complete it for us. It is very important to us that nothing get’s misplaced and you get your own suspension back, so please fill it out for us and put one inside and outside the box. Include in the comment box that you are part of the group buy.

We ship in a 36x8x8 box, wrap in bubble wrap and add insurance of $1200.00 for the forks and add enough if you are sending in a Wilber’s shock. This is to insure that if the shipping company of choice will buy new units if they loose or destroy them.

Please call us at the shop so we can take down some info from you.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent my forks in on Monday. Just got a call from Dave at GP Suspension. They are done and he is sending them back to me today. :clapping:

Now that is fast service.... :yahoo: :yahoo:

I finished taking my 05 apart today, and FWIW, the pair of forks weigh 20.5lbs and a Wilber shock weighs 6.5lbs.

So it should be under 35lbs with packing.

I'd say my new motorcycle lift just about paid for itself when I parked my ass in a chair as I removed the fender and calipers!

I was a little shocked when my electric impact wrench couldn't break the front axle free, the PO was torque wrench challenged I guess. :eek: :eh-smiley:

I ended up using water pipe on a ratchet with a piece of 3/4" brass hex stock in the 19mm cap head on the axle.

So here's to anticipating the said "transformation". :)

Dave at GP was great to me. He allowed me to bring the forks in on 12/22 on my way to some R&R with the wife in Portland. They were officially closed but that didn't stop them from accommodating me, since they were doing a "ton" of FJR front ends and working the holiday weekend. Great customer service!

Dave even gave me a tour of the shop, showed me the C&C machine, some of his custom aluminum parts he designed for forks, parts he keeps from the stock fork, etc. etc. Really friendly and basically talked technical jargon well over my head. What I got from it all was he has a passion for his work and a very high quality standard. One funny moment (for me) was when the mechanic in back yelled -- turned out somebody with an FJR fork had filled it with so much oil it spurted all over his shoes. They were gentlemanly about it, though. There were a lot of FJR fork tubes ready to be worked on, I'll tell ya..........

And I never got an email (phone only) but Dave dropped everything to fill out forms on the computer so that I was taken care of.

A class act. :clapping:

Can't wait to get them back now.

True dat. Forks and shock got there Friday before Xmas and Dave called the day after Xmas... "We're just about done, let me explain about the springs... We'll have these done today and into the UPS truck. Expect them Friday or Monday."

:good:

I have to do the steering head and swing arm service, so it will be a while before I can go for a test ride. I think I'll be happy, though. My Visa, on the other hand, is not so happy. Ouch. :eek:mg:

Mine came back today. Sadly, I'm waiting on the steering stem spanner to service the steering head, so it'll be a while before I can test ride. A quick inspection leads me to believe that GP has gone ahead and set the adjustments for me and my riding style. Plus, now I'm a real pro since the forks sport nifty GPS stickers! I wonner if they'll be sending a sponsor check soon?

:lol:

Chalk me up as another person who hasn't heard from them....

Groo, they sent out a blanket email directing you to the website to fill out the form for inclusion in your package. You didn't get that?
Hmmm, I didn't get this email from them. Either that or I deleted it as spam without looking at it. Does anybody still have the url? No hurry at this point because I'm snowed in for at least a couple of months.

There is no cut off time, as long as you are signed up on the group buy then you can send them in at your leasure. We have one customer that's going to come out in June to have his bike done.
That would be me! :rolleyes: Since my forks are brand new, post the Bambi killing, I wanted to simply ride with stock forks for awhile. Make me feel like I got my $$ out of Bambi. GPS is shipping the new Penske 3 way, and in June I'll be doing a SS1k to the folks at GPS. Hey, I have built in witnesses!

Got my shock and forks back on Monday the 7 th. :yahoo:

Had to send my shock to Klause as GP found a crack in the aluminum cap part.

Hope warranty will cover it.

Smitty will reinstall the forks but cant do any test ride until I get the shock fixed.

GP Suspension got my Wilber shock Friday the 4th and called me the 9th to tell me it was done. Talk about FAST service! Can't wait till the snow goes and the roads clear to try it out with the new spring in the rear shock (mine was only a little limp from the factory).

Tom

Sent my forks in on Dec 14th GP received them on the 19th, I got received the forks and my new Penske 8983 back on Jan 7th. eveythings back on the bike too bad, the wind chill is about 0 to 10 below here in Wyoming, can't try the bike out till it gets a little nicer. Great service from Dave at GP, and thanks again to Warchild for arranging this group buy