Fred W and TMJ's Vacation Ride to the Great Divide

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am jealous thats a trip I want to do but wife says not on no motorcycle. Have a great ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Final count-down...

3... Packed a few things in our bags. Always a concern, are we bringing enough, or just too much? Forgetting something? Probably. Oh well...

2... We went out to our favorite local Mex joint, La Cucaracha's for the pre-game meal. Enchiladas, Tostadas, Fish Tacos, dirty rice & beans w/ a house Margaretti to seal the deal. Probably won't have any more of that for the next couple of weeks.

1... Sat out on the back deck and burned a mild Dominican, while sipping a Harpoon Summer Ale. Also not likely to see more of either of those since I'm not packing any cigars (can always buy something on the road if I feel the need).

Saw a couple of yellow leaves falling down from the trees out there. Made me realize that when we get back it will be awfully close to autumn. I love the fall, who hey... who doesn't? But it still makes me melancholy to think the end of summer is so close.

The dogs seem to know that something is up. Even crazy Charlie is behaving himself. Our eldest is going to house and dog sit for us, so it;s all good. But we're both gonna miss those pups while we're away.

We're both ready to go. Just need to wake up and get out early.

Next post will be from the net book, out on the road.

With photos.

Safe travels for you and TMJ, Fred!

If timing were different, I'd shoot over to ID and hook up with you for a day. Looking forward to following along!

--G

Well, well...?

Come on Fred, yer almost as bad as Ol' Michael!

Have a great ride with the bride,

Have fun on the run -
Don't take the4 corners wide

While out west chasing the fun!

Three pages and they haven't even left the driveway yet! So, today is departure day for the Ws, and a fine day it is for travel. They should be under way by now with a clear, dry, 60º morning. Bon voyage!

Safe travels you guys. Fred not sure if you're route will bring you close to Cleveland/Brunswick...if it does, I've got a cigar for you.

Fred, I'm working if Buffalo this week and was in Niagara Falls last night. PM me if you want to meet for a drink tonight. First two are on me!!! -Steve

Houston, we have lift off...

Up early (of course), and out of the driveway at a good time:

IMG_2279.jpg

Took photo to log start odometer reading. How the heck did I manage to rack up 90k miles and never before go west of Ohio?

Part of getting on the road early was forgoing any breakfast. Just a cup'a for the road and then mounted up. Our initial plans were to stop at Audry's Cafe on the Dublin / Marlboro line for B'fast, but when we got there we weren't all that hungry just yet. Onward, she said, and who am I to argue?

Got over to our first state line in no time:

IMG_2280.jpg

Certainly one we have traversed many times prior. but it is always so welcome to see that sign since it means open season on the double yellow. Before we'd gone too far, we were rolling up on our first two hours... Seemed like a good time and place to stop for some eggs:

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

And in this RR there will be Fud pR0n!!

IMG_2282.jpg

Mmmm, that hit the spot. Chelsea Royal Diner in West Brattleboro has their own farm fresh eggs.

Breakfast took a whopping 1/2 hour. Back on the road and enjoying the wonderful road that is Vermont Route 9, though it was a bit foggy still. The lookout from the top of Hogback Mountain, was underwhelming.

IMG_2284.jpg

We whizzed by an Adirondack chair that even BeemerDonS would be able to fit into:

IMG_2291.jpg

And before you know it, we had got around Bennington (on the wonderful new bypass), and then zipped into New York State so fast that TMJ didn't have a chance to pick up the camera to shoot the sign.

This place in Hoosic always cracks me up, and it seems to get bigger and bigger with more and more statues every year

IMG_2297.jpg

From there, we ran through loverly Troy, home of RPI, Troy Built Power Equipment, and purported to be the home town of "Uncle Sam", though I know for a fact that he wasn't born there. (He was born in Mason, NH)

IMG_2306.jpg

We stayed on NY Rte 7 to circumvent the shitty of Albany, and then joined up with the interstate on the far side of Schenectady, home of this monothith:

IMG_2309.jpg

Slabbed it from there to just shy of Rochester. In case you were wondering what the slab looks like...

IMG_2316.jpg

One thing that we noticed in the Upstate was that people really wanted to drive the speed limit in the left lane. Understandably so since there was a State Police Cruiser poaching about every 15 miles or so. But they were being really nice to us by leaving their Radar on the "ON" position, and I was picking them up about 2 or 3 miles before we came up on them.

Just before Rochester, we diverted north on the east side of the city, and rode along the Lake Ontario shore for while. It is a really nice parkway with views of the water all along, and best of all, no traffic! It was getting quite warm out on the slab, but running along the Seaway Trail, things cooled off quite nicely (which means that Josie asked for her jacket liner back).

IMG_2329.jpg

Hit a little bit of rain just before we slid into Niagra Falls. Staying outside the hustle and bustle, with plans to view the falls early in the AM before the hoards are up and at it.

Walked to dinner at a bar just a block down the street. It didn't suck, which is a big bonus. Guiness Draft and a decent burger. Ahhh...

IMG_2345.jpg

TMJ went with the Raspberry Mojito and a chicken something or other. Also claimed to be good.

I am envious. You two know how to enjoy a trip. I'm watching the spot track and wishing I was with you.

Looking good you kids. That place in VT with the big chair?-- I think its called Wahoo Eatery. A good lunch destination. I've done it a couple times with the guys from work. The place is in Wilmington VT, We work in Wilmington MA. So its the Wilmington-Wilmington Lunch Ride. Get it? Really just an excuse to knock off an afternoon and ride. Maybe a future NERDS RTE?

Have fun, ride safe!

And in the RR there will be Fud pR0n!!
IMG_2282.jpg

Mmmm, that hit the spot. Chelsea Royal Diner in Brattleboro has their own farm fresh eggs.
Where the hell are the grits??? Can't eat no eggs without grits. What's wrong with you, son? Oh, forgot...yankees don't know 'bout no grits. Shame.

Walked to dinner at a bar just a block down the street. It didn't suck, which is a big bonus. Guiness Draft and a decent burger. Ahhh...

IMG_2345.jpg

TMJ went with the Rassberry Mojito and a chicken something or other. Also claimed to be good.
Now THAT'S a burger I could wrap my lips around....bacon on a bun with a bit of beef. The IDEAL heart-attack-on-a-plate.

What a great looking Day One. Keep up the fud pr0n...it's why I subscribed!
rofl.gif

Not like you to leave on an almost empty tank Fred,
bye.gif

IMG_2279.jpg

Plenty of gas stops along the way, Have you mapped out a route or are you doing this on the fly with an end destination at the end of the day. Wish I was there, Time to save up my penny's for next years big adventure.

Dave

Not like you to leave on an almost empty tank Fred,
bye.gif

IMG_2279.jpg
Fred, Dave's post brings up an interesting thought...you only have 127 miles with only 2 bars left???

How bad is your mileage? I invariable always hit the 220~240 mile mark with 4 bars left, although the transition from 1 solid bar to blinking "reserve" is only about 25~30 miles, then I've got 40 miles to find a refill.

edit: Of course, was the bike on the sidestand when you snapped that pic???

Latest posts