Gen III Engine Temp / Low Ambient Temps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two scenarios. Take your pick:

1 - If it's spitting scalding green fluid all over your legs, peeling layer after layer of flesh, you have a problem

2 - If it's not spitting scalding green fluid all over your legs, peeling layer after layer of flesh, you don't have a problem

Is your coolant above the minimum mark? If not, fill.

Is the radiator clogged? If yes, clean it.

Check the fans operation, and if they don't, fix.

If any of the above require action, go ride, see if the "problem" has gone away.

If you are riding in temps constantly below 50F stick a thin piece of cardboard(like from a cereal box) under the screen in front of the rad that will block off the center 50% of the rad. The temps will stabilize much faster and you will not get the temp swings. The engine will run at a more appropriate operating temp.

Thanks for the useful responses and ideas (Uncle Hud, mcatrophy, Canadian Steve and so forth).
Because of the colder weather, we are probably at the end of the reasonable riding weather for the year and may not get a chance to gather additional riding information. However, when I do my anual maintanance, I'll be sure to check the items several of you have mentioned.
I'll get back to you if I have further questions/problems

Please do report your findings back to this thread.

Future forum members might search, find this topic, but have no resolution to the issue. (Issue "resolutions" are what make this such a great place.)

If you are riding in temps constantly below 50F stick a thin piece of cardboard(like from a cereal box) under the screen in front of the rad that will block off the center 50% of the rad. The temps will stabilize much faster and you will not get the temp swings. The engine will run at a more appropriate operating temp.
I'd save that advice for the cross country truckers.
img_4813_zpsc3a70dbd.jpg

As noted, the digital temp gauge variation DISPLAY seems to be normal on the FJR..

Note; on the digital dash on my 2007, FZ6, the temps do NOT VARY up and down like the FJR.

It will rise slowly and drop slowly, literally a degree or two at a time.

Something, programming/sensor, etc, is causing the quick rise and fall of the gauge as the temps certainly aren't

changing 30 degree's within a second or two. Its specific to the bikes design..

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know where the FZ1 coolant temp sensor is located, but on the FJR it is not actually in the engine block. It is located on the right end of the metal coolant stand-pipe above the valve cover, the one you remove to do a valve check. The Thermostat is further downstream of the sensor, in the neck of the radiator fill pipe. I think that what you see on the gauge is representative of the temperature of the coolant in that standpipe. Changing by 30-40 degrees in a period of 30 seconds or more is not unreasonable.

When the temp reaches high enough to open the thermostat a little there would then be a period of flow of hot coolant that was in the engine passing through the pipe, until, eventually, the ice cold coolant from the radiator has passed all the way through the engine, past the sensor, and is felt by the thermostat to close it. The radiator is sized to be able to cool the coolant sufficiently in the worst situation, with warm ambient temps. This means that with cooler ambients the coolant in the radiator will be very cool when it is called.

So that is why you are seeing the temp cycling: There is some hysteresis built into the system due to the component locations.

That makes sense Fred.

I knew the themostat was not installed in the engine block itself (but under plastic).

On the FZ6, both the thermostat and the temp sensor are located on/in the rear of the block/cylinder (literally about 4" apart from each other), thus the accurate and steady readings vs the FJR.

The Gen I and II's always had a small quantity of heated coolant flowing past the temperature sensor. The indicated temperature would follow more closely the actual coolant temperature in the engine.

The cold high idle wax motor on those designs had a steady flow of coolant which bypassed the thermostat.

The wax motor is not included on the Gen III so all the coolant must pass through the thermostat. For no flow conditions I'd guess you still experience a small movement of the coolant due to differences in density due to temperature.

There was no digital temp display on earlier gens either, only the bar gauges where each bar is a wide range of temps, so people would not have noticed the cycling nearly as much. There is a digital coolant temp gauge on the 5th Gen VFRs, and coincidentally there is a lot of discussion about those temps on the forums that discuss that bike too.

Years ago many cars came with analog gauges that displayed things like battery voltage, coolant temp and oil pressure. The manufacturers were constantly being barraged with warranty and service requests from owners who insisted that there was something wrong because they saw the gauges moving. Eventually, some of the manufacturers (Ford, for one) replaced the variable sensors driving the instrument gauges with switches (like for idiot lights) so that the gauge sits exactly dead centered unless there is a real problem, and then the needle pins. People were much happier.

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad to see this!

I left home (Sherwood Park Alberta) on Wednesday and rode to Cardston Alberta - everything was fine.

Rain through the night and all day yesterday riding to Missoula - I noticed that the engine temperature was cycling constantly between 66C and about 82C.

Ambient temperature was between 8C and 15C all day.

The bike normally warms up to around 73C and stays there.

As it is always stored in the garage, I was a little worried that all of the moisture was causing problems.

I'm heading through the Lolo Pass this morning, but was concerned that the 'Problem' may worsen.

Looks like I can relax and enjoy the ride.

Riding through road construction in the rain (Clay) for a few kilometres outside of Browning caused a little stress...

Not a great mud bike is the FJR.

Dan

Update: Rode through the Lolo Pass with no issues. (Although, that particular road doesn't provide may opportunities to look down)

Found that when the ambient temperature falls below about 18C the engine temperature starts it's cycling routine.

Rode from Sandpoint to Calgary yesterday in pouring rain, and from Calgary home to Sherwood Park today - still in pouring rain.

Total distance travelled - 2630kms.

Bike performed flawlessly - amazing machine.

The Electronic Suspension, Traction Control and Cruise Control are wonderful - the reasons that I parted with my '03.

I purchased the Yamaha Factory 'Comfort Seat' and found it to be very good as well on this trip.

Canada Dan, was the Idaho HP lurking out on U.S. 12? Seems they've found it to be a good revenue producer. Last time over I spotted two of them plus a deputy.

Not a great mud bike is the FJR.
It is compared to the HD Road King I once owned. That damn thing nearly caused a laundry incident when I foolishly attempted to navigate a dirt road. While I dislike riding any street bike on dirt or gravel, I've taken the FJR on dirt, fresh deep gravel, and even loose sand with a minimum of pucker!

Prior to leaving home, I had read on another forum that it was best to go through early in the morning to avoid a 'Performance Award'.

I waited until around 11am to leave Missoula hoping that the day would warm up a bit - it was only 6C when I headed into the pass on Friday.

Throughout the day I only encountered one Trooper, and he had a Westbound car pulled over near the East end of the Pass.

As for the Off-road capabilities of the FJR, I've ridden both the '14 and the '03 in gravel without too much difficulty - just loosen your grip and let the bike move the way it wants to move.

That wet clay was quite an adventure though - I'm sure the folks in the car behind me enjoyed the show.

The clay was just wet enough to stick to the tires and kind of bind between the front fender and the tire.

My ass cheeks had a death grip on that seat by the time I got onto the pavement at Browning.

Latest posts