GenI fairing and cowl removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
replaced the dash light bulbs 2 weekends ago on my 05' .... this was the greated post.. many, many thanks... :clapping:

dsc02481smqw7.jpg
I've met wfooshee.....

He married WAAAAAAAY outta his league.

Has her vision returned yet? :rofl:

:p :)

Thank You! I spent an hour trying to get the R/H upper cowl off.

I had removed the R/H Lower prior as well.

NO LUCK!

Now, after reading this thread 'I shall fear no cowling'!

I'll finish stripping the L/H side lowers tomorrow.

Remove the windshied and motor bracket too!

Thanks for a great post! You saved my hands, back and temper!

Jim

Just before I attach the side fairings to the upper cowling I place a long piece of masking tape on the upper cowling just below the three mounting screws. The three spring nuts on the side fairings are just sharp enough to scratch the paint of the upper cowling as you wiggle the side fairings into place. Once you get everything lined up properly you can insert the screws and then remove the tape before final tightening. The masking tape is very effective for avoiding paint scratches.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Odd. . .. I've never had the inside of the lower fairing able to touch the outside of the upper. But flop enough stuff around long enough I guess it could happen. Thanks for the tip.

Thank You! I spent an hour trying to get the R/H upper cowl off.
That one CANNOT be removed without pulling the nose off or breaking something, unless a previous explorer did it and left some hardware out. Battery and then battery box are in the way of at least one of the bolts.

I've met wfooshee.....
He married WAAAAAAAY outta his league.

Has her vision returned yet?
Ha, that's a funny post, now! I'd say apparently her vision has returned since she's gone now, but OTOH, the guy she left me for is 11 years older than me, and he's the one that's legally blind.

Also, it turns out that as of your post their relationship had unbeknownst to me been under way several months, so my showing off what (I thought) I had turns out to have been a case of severely misplaced pride. Not that I'm bitter or anything . . . . . I'm gonna say that she was the one out of her league, come to think of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post and documentation Wfooshee! Even a dolt like me can attempt a cowl removal now. In fact, I'll try it on beemerdons bike first to make sure I have it down. :D

I book marked this bad boy for future reference. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, yea, I know it's an old post but I have to say a big thanks for such a good write up. It is gonna help me a TON.

Excellent write up. I just finished changing out some broken pieces with a whole kit.

-

Very hard to keep track of the various different sized fasteners - good luck to all those who try.

-

My motor arm was seized on and could not remove the 2 hex bolts in the front. I had to loosen up the entire front cowl/headlight assembly and get behind to remove 2 larger hex bolts.

-

Advise: if changing out plastic pieces, don't forget to save the clips that the hex bolts screw into.

Take before photos of all the fasteners that you remove, I think there are at least 7-8 different ones.

-

Thanks again

Thanks for this. I completely disassembled the uppers,and lowers to get to a loose speedo bulb. I managed to get all the screws with some finagling, but now that I know that it only the four headlight screws holding center upper and side uppers together install that is an assembly to go back together quicker.

Just waiting for the mailman to deliver LED – dash bulbs to reassemble.