getting comfortable on this bike ain't easy - gen I

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numb41

Reaction score
ok, this is prolly more of a rant, but i digress... i bought this bike on it's looks and seeing that 4 of the top five bikes in an iron butt rally were fjrs... i am having a tough time getting comfortable on this bike. stacked helibar risers, cee baileys windshield helped but my butt absolutely aches after 50 miles...i look like a monkey humpin' a football-yes the right handgoes to sleep and theneck and between theshoulder blades are pain centers as well. i debated long and hard whether to try a custom seat or just cut my losses. took the plunge and went with the seat. Now i'm deep into buyer's remorse. Not only about the seat, but thebikeas well( typing on this i pad sucks-sorry ) anyway, in an act of desperation, i put a 12"x12" piece of 3/4 inch of padding on the seat...fold it here,tuck it there(for lack of a better word)and it feels good sitting on it in the garage. i havent gotten back in touch with the seat maker because i dont want to sound like a tool. if i had a question it would be this,do you think hewould drastically alter the seat for free or charge me an extra fee. or, should i just have him make me a seat pad. starting to ramble,the beer is kickin in so i'll stop there

ok, this is prolly more of a rant, but i digress... i bought this bike on it's looks and seeing that 4 of the top five bikes in an iron butt rally were fjrs... i am having a tough time getting comfortable on this bike. stacked helibar risers, cee baileys windshield helped but my butt absolutely aches after 50 miles...i look like a monkey humpin' a football-yes the right handgoes to sleep and theneck and between theshoulder blades are pain centers as well. i debated long and hard whether to try a custom seat or just cut my losses. took the plunge and went with the seat. Now i'm deep into buyer's remorse. Not only about the seat, but thebikeas well( typing on this i pad sucks-sorry ) anyway, in an act of desperation, i put a 12"x12" piece of 3/4 inch of padding on the seat...fold it here,tuck it there(for lack of a better word)and it feels good sitting on it in the garage. i havent gotten back in touch with the seat maker because i dont want to sound like a tool. if i had a question it would be this,do you think hewould drastically alter the seat for free or charge me an extra fee. or, should i just have him make me a seat pad. starting to ramble,the beer is kickin in so i'll stop there

Dayummmm man, how tall ( or heavy ) are you?

This bike works for 5'2" to 6'2" w/o much extra effort.

Gen 2 and Gen 3 do have a higher position for the seat... gen 1 does not.

Sounds like a used Russell might help raise you up.

Help us help you by giving more specifics about your size challenge (once only please).

Decisions, decisions...

Next step, take your cobbled together seat out on the road and test it out. That will be free. Keep in mind that the FJR doesn't automatically fit absolutely every body type. So if your goofy seat passes the 50 mile test as is, then it might indeed be worth investing more money in getting the seat redone or even replaced. Just curious, who's your upholstery man?

Another thought... ever sit on another FJR with a great seat? Ever attend any of he local FJR get togethers? That idea would be free as well. I know you're reluctant to pour more money into an expensive seat if the bike itself isn't going to fit cha.

Good luck

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
The stacked risers make me wonder if your arms aren't too close to you. I rode an '05 once that had stacked risers and it was really uncomfortable. I felt like a begging puppy. I don't know how you got the bike, but you probably should have started at OEM settings and then gone from there, piece by piece. I rode my FJR Almost 600 miles the first weekend I had it and was super sore when I got home. I had traded in a cruiser and this bike took different muscles to ride. I've been fine ever since.

As far as the seat goes, call the maker and send it back. That's usually part of their price. Many people send them back for adjustments. It is "custom" so if it doesn't fit YOU correctly, it's not right.

As already stated, you need to add more info. Height, weight, previous bike, even age will help. Remember that this bike may just not fit you. That's rare, but some people just won't fit a certain bike's ergonomics, no matter what mods they make. Hope that's not the case.

I'm running a 2004 Gen 1 with a Sargent seat for last couple years.

Put ~18,000Kms on her with the aftermarket seat so far, and though it felt very firm at first, my body adjusted to it and find it quite good for even 3 days (8 hrs / day in the saddle) back to back.

Seems to me you have too much stuff going on. Take a step back, figure out what the main comfort issue is and then systematically modify the FJR to your liking. With a few keys mod's most folks find the FJR all-day comfortable.

You definitely can't make the bike something it's not...in your case it just might not work.

Good luck!

--G

Ass surgery. Find a cosmetic surgeon that rides a motorbike. He/She will understand what you need.

so ......... you gotta complain twice?

i bought this bike on it's looks and seeing that 4 of the top five bikes in an iron butt rally were fjrs...
Well, as one of the actual 5th place finisher of that particular IBR on a Gen 1.....it's pretty simple. Russell.

I'll say it again, R-U-S-S-E-L-L.

That means Russell Day-Long Saddle.

That and after-market cruise or throttle lock.

And while I don't know all the other 4 FJRs in the top 6 for sure...I think most will say that same thing...and/or risers.

Gen I and Gen III are different animals, but even with the gen III, mine was an ergonomic joke off the showroom floor. You got a rocket for very little money. Easy to find the shield, risers, lowering brackets, and seat to make it rideable, and for far less than you'd pay for an ergonomically superior bike. On top of that, many of the aftermarket mods for the FJR cost far less than similar parts for more expensive bikes. The seat is the only thing that's pretty pricey- and even then, if you watch, you can find russel or comfort seats used for great deals. Not the same as having one custom made for you, but a big improvement over the board that comes stock. Good luck.

When I bought my first and only FJR back in the fall of 2003 (2004 model) I rode it half the first summer 2004 with every thing stock. I looked what options where out there and figured out what I needed to fix to make my ride better. I did put up with the stock seat for far to long. Have a Russell seat now and love it, but then that is only one of the things I did to get to where I am today. I just did my latest mod this summer and I like it. Can't tell you if it will be my last mod.

As most here know stock motorcycle seats suck, period. Made to feel good in the showroom made too soft that only offers up the dreaded butt burn after the first 50 miles. I ride in chronic pain from spinal arthritis and shouldn't even be on a bike.

So the major item for comfort on any bike is the seat. My desire to ride over rode any discomfort or in convince issue. Took a while but ended up making my own seat modeled by a Sergeant and a Day Long Russell with great results. The only other comfort item I could not live without is the Wild Bill fold out footpegs from Montana. Good luck finding that right combo of comfort for you. Ride safe, PM.

These commenters are knowledgeable and correct. In my case, I spotted a local Gen I for sale with a Russell Day-Long. I traded the seller for my Corbin, threw in an Airhawk seat pad and $20. Wow! Finally! Wife and I did 1,000 miles in 16-hours in June and can easily do back-to-back 500+ days (I'm 60, she's 64). One set of riser pucks and a Cee Baily windscreen complement the seat, plus throttle lock and Grip Buddies. Your body contacts the bike at three points: hands, butt and feet. These must be positioned correctly and in relation to one another. Ideally, you have the ability to move around - change body position - a little while underway. Now factor in air flow. All these factors can be adjusted and modified; the trick is getting the combination right. Work toward an improvement; then make another alteration to see if that is additional improvement. If not, go back and try something else. Many of the mods can be had second-hand and, if not effective, can be re-sold. Your investment does not have to be great but it does take time. As others have said, rarely this bike - or any bike - simply won't work for some individuals. Oh, one more: we often use OTC pain meds for the long hauls.

The OP says he "took the plunge and went with a new seat", but, never mentioned what it was?

I understand the other problems, but it may be good to start with your new seat purchase and what it is, and, was it custom made for you and your body-butt/weight/height & ride position?.

smile.png
smile.png

https://laamseats.com/

https://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_5&products_id=32

Latest posts