• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Grounding Harness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned in a previous post, My '07 was purchased brand new in April and under warranty. Should I wait and see if I have a problem and have it fixed under warranty or order this aftermarket product? Concerned. :blink:
As of right now, if you do have a problem, and have the harness replaced under warranty, the root cause still exists and can/will happen again (there have been a couple here who have had that exact thing occur to them). There are rumors that Yamaha is actively looking into a permanent fix.

It's a relatively cheap piece of mind for me. I did it to my bike, and still recommend all Gen II owners do it to theirs.

As mentioned in a previous post, My '07 was purchased brand new in April and under warranty. Should I wait and see if I have a problem and have it fixed under warranty or order this aftermarket product? Concerned. :blink:
As of right now, if you do have a problem, and have the harness replaced under warranty, the root cause still exists and can/will happen again (there have been a couple here who have had that exact thing occur to them). There are rumors that Yamaha is actively looking into a permanent fix.

It's a relatively cheap piece of mind for me. I did it to my bike, and still recommend all Gen II owners do it to theirs.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate your insight. I ride some rather lonely roads in Texas and don't want to get caught out somewhere with no cell phone service.

Been reading all about this "spider" thing the last couple of days after getting the recall notice on the 07 that I purchased from a friend last November. Janet on the forum here clued me in on Brodie's harness and I have been reading on this and the RoadRunner solution. I also read about Brod's accident - thank God he is still around and kicking!

I dropped my FJR off at a local dealer yesterday & I suspect that it will just get the "kit" installed which apparently only addresses the S4 location. I have also read about the issues with dealers and after-market solutions. It appears that RR is recommending getting the recall serviced with the original equipment to clear the safety issue and then add one of the grounding solutions. I think I see that Brodie is taking a wait and see attitude and I would assume it would be to see exactly what the kit is going to do and whether his harness will need an update (Rev A?).

From what I have read on the concerns that folks have is that the recall fix will not completely address the grounding problem. I agree and am planning to get the recall handled and then order and install a Brodie harness. So, PLEASE ADD me to the list, kind sir!

OK, my only complaint about this is the term "spider" - the gadget only has SIX legs - shouldn't it be called a COCKROACH instead?

Friends

I am currently on vacation, will be getting home this weekend. I have been monitoring the recall discussions and will decide next week whether or not I will continue in the grounding harness business.

I am inclined to continue selling it with the understanding that the recall route will be considered before my Grounding Harness is purchased. Both the recall harness and my Grounding Harness can work well together, however Yamaha has not given it their blessing.

Brodie

Friends

I am currently on vacation, will be getting home this weekend. I have been monitoring the recall discussions and will decide next week whether or not I will continue in the grounding harness business.

I am inclined to continue selling it with the understanding that the recall route will be considered before my Grounding Harness is purchased. Both the recall harness and my Grounding Harness can work well together, however Yamaha has not given it their blessing.

Brodie
Personally I plan to keep your harness in place. I will have Yamaha install the recall harness with your harness. After the recall is Complete I may remove the yamaha harness and plug your harness back in. At this point my bike will have all recalls performed thus avoiding a sticky issue later.

Thanks Brodie !

Friends

Brodie
Personally I plan to keep your harness in place. I will have Yamaha install the recall harness with your harness. After the recall is Complete I may remove the yamaha harness and plug your harness back in. At this point my bike will have all recalls performed thus avoiding a sticky issue later.

Thanks Brodie !
This gets my vote too. The Yamaha fix is only for the S4 spider based on info so far. At minimum they should have serviced them all by checking and adding dielectric or conductive grease, but Brodie's harness is more effective. Hang in there Brodie...

Got my 07 back today - they just installed the kit. I am suspicious that they fixed anything, so I am still interested in Brodie's Magic Harness. :D

OK, I've been watching the other thread mainly, waiting for any of the Brodie Contingenent to post up about their experiences with getting the recall work done with the Brodie harness (BH) installed and what exactly they did....but no one has yet.

So, as I haven't seen anything, I'll ask here and depending on what answers I get, possibly post to the other thread.

My questions are:

1. Do us Brodie folks have to take anything out or apart before taking to the dealer? In other words, will the dealer just disconnect the BH at S4 and perform the recall?

2. If not, and I have to disconect the S4, will the bike start?

3. If the recall parts get put in place, can we then just disconnect the recall fix at S4, and plug the BH back in at S4 and leave the recall stuff in place with ho harm?

I can guess at the answers but want some feedback from the collective here to assure me. As I don't have a relationship with a particualr dealer, I plan on going in this week and interviewing the service guys and talking to them about all this.

I would say talk to the dealership first... or just disconnect the Brodie S4, except put a spider back in and the black cover on so your bike will function. Your choice whether you leave the recall fix in place or disconnect it and reconnect the Brodie harness IMHO. Your other choice of course, is to ignore the recall if you have a fix in place.

Since I have already soldered 12 gauge wires to the #4 and #6 spiders ass and grounded to frame I guess I will ignore the recall for now. Might as well as I ignored the ignition switch recall since I had already wired in a 75 amp relay. I think forum fixes are better than Mamaha's bandaids and I don't want shop monkeys violating my bike..If I sell [unlikely] I will hand the recalls to the new owner.

The Yamaha recall seems a half assed, lowest price point option. I'd rather pay to buy one of your harnesses, Brodie, than get the "free" yamaha fix.

Ditto! Riding down the road, I have little if any faith in the Yama fix as presented. What's worse is I have a trip planned which is now in doubt because of this recall. The Brodie fix is the real deal. Sign me up for one please!

I have the Brodie harness in place so I've been watching these discussions with interest. I spoke to a (to be unamed) service manager last week and her/his advice was to just hang onto the recall letter and keep the after market solution in place. I am inclined to agree with this advice. There is NOTHING the Yamaha solution does that the Brodie solution doesn't. In fact the Brodie solution is far superior in my opinion (and many other's on this forum) because it covers 6 of the 8 junctions including those that handle the largest loads. I see no reason to have additional hands messing with my bike for no benefit. When (if) I sell the bike, the next owner will get full disclosure regarding this and all changes I've made to the bike including the R1 shift linkage, the ignition relay circuit I manufactured and installed, and the Brodie harness. He/she can have the recall letter and decide for themselves what to do about it.

I offer this as a suggestion as well: if you really want to have this recall done but already have the Brodie harness installed, simply lift the tank, pull the S4 connector apart from the BH, re-install the 6 pin spider and black plastic cap, and take it to the dealer. They will install the new harness and you can leave it or pull it off the S4 connector and plug the BH back in. Shouldn't make a difference either way as far as I can tell.

I offer this as a suggestion as well: if you really want to have this recall done but already have the Brodie harness installed, simply lift the tank, pull the S4 connector apart from the BH, re-install the 6 pin spider and black plastic cap, and take it to the dealer. They will install the new harness and you can leave it or pull it off the S4 connector and plug the BH back in. Shouldn't make a difference either way as far as I can tell.
Thats exactly what I'm going to do. Have it scheduled to take the bike in tomorrow. Disconnected S4 and reinstalled spider and black cap last night. I confired with Brodie that in the interim, having just the S4 disconnected that the bike will run with no issues....re-installing the spider and black cap on S4 of course. I'll reinstall the BH when I get it back and just leave the recall harness in place. All good!

Hi Brodie,

Would you post to Australia ?

If so could you add me to your list thanks.

We in Australia just recieved our recall notices and some Aussie Forum menbers have already been had the Yamaha mod done.

I'm still waiting for my letter and have sent off a "Please Explain" email to Yamaha Australia.

Cheers

Ken

Gentlemen

Ever since the recall was announced i have been taking a "Wait & See" approach with the spider nest meltdown situation and Yamaha's recall fix. When the Ignition switch was redesigned back in early '09, I dissected my unit and saw that Yamaha did a fine job with it. To this day I have no problem recommending that switch over my Ignition Relay Harness.

Last week I had the Recall Harness installed on my replacement '06 AE. Although the build quality is up to Yamaha's high standards, I think the design of the harness is flawed. It only addresses the most common failure point in the ground buss. There are 2 other known failure locations (S6 & S7) that are not serviced. I can foresee Yamaha having returns with this recall harness in place. My recommendation is to also add a secondary path to ground for these other week points.

I have a problem...

I have hit upon a snag with the component parts availability. At current I only have enough to build 6 more Grounding Harnesses.

So...

I have decided to build the remaining 6 Grounding Harnesses and offer them to the next six on the waiting list. They should be ready by Sunday night.

Go here to see the latest adjustments to the list.

I should know within the next week or so if I will be able to obtain the necessary components to build any more.

In the mean time, if you have the chance, schedule the recall with your favorite Yamaha service department. The recall harness will help unload that marginal connector pin in the S4 spider nest. If you still have concerns and I end up ceasing production, I recommend my good friend Art's (roadrunner) ground bypass harness set. It is a good design that will accomplish the same end goal that my Grounding Harness was designed for. The extra added benefit is that both my Grounding Harness and/or Art's Ground Bypass Harness kit will live peacefully with the recall harness.

Hopefully my component pipeline will be re established within the next week or so.

Thank you for your patience.

smile.gif

Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.