How many would be interested in an Alsaska Ride in 2010?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
ADVRider has done it to me again. Looking at the Ride Reports over there and seeing some of the Photo's of the Scenery from Alaska as my wheels turning. I know I would not have a pure ADV bike but I have seen some posts on here also about people riding there feejers to Alaska. So I am wondering if it may be possible to get a group from here that wanted to go for summer 2010? I realize that not everyone is lucky enough :clapping: to live in California so if others were interested maybe would could meet up somewhere along the road up close to Canada or somewhere? Also I would love to help organize but also feel it would be better if someone who has been there before and kinda knew what to expect spearheaded it, I would be more than glad to help out though? So who would be interested?

So who would be interested?
I would be interested but I think it would be difficult to coordinate such a long trip with more than a few riders. One of the biggest mistakes riders make on Alaska trips is not to schedule enough time because they don't realize how many miles are involved. I took a 7500 mile trip (from Southeastern Washington) in 1992 and was gone for 29 days. I was also wishing during the trip that I had another week. Everyone has different preferences for how many miles to ride in a day but sometimes you do not have a lot of options on a Alaska trip unless you are planning on camping along the highway ... which is not recommended. After Prince George, BC, the towns with motels or campgrounds are usually 300-350 miles apart which I think makes for a nice one day ride on the AlCAN, those wanting to do more are going to have to do a "double day" because there isn't much in between.

I remember asking a local in Watson Lake where we good get a good meal....he recommended Fort Nelson...which was 330 miles away.

So who would be interested?
I would be interested but I think it would be difficult to coordinate such a long trip with more than a few riders. One of the biggest mistakes riders make on Alaska trips is not to schedule enough time because they don't realize how many miles are involved. I took a 7500 mile trip (from Southeastern Washington) in 1992 and was gone for 29 days. I was also wishing during the trip that I had another week. Everyone has different preferences for how many miles to ride in a day but sometimes you do not have a lot of options on a Alaska trip unless you are planning on camping along the highway ... which is not recommended. After Prince George, BC, the towns with motels or campgrounds are usually 300-350 miles apart which I think makes for a nice one day ride on the AlCAN, those wanting to do more are going to have to do a "double day" because there isn't much in between.

I remember asking a local in Watson Lake where we good get a good meal....he recommended Fort Nelson...which was 330 miles away.
Never really thought about that but I guess you are correct. A trip with this type of miles is one you probably need to make with others with nothing but time on there hands. I know for me I would be able to do about a 3 week stent but that might not even be long enough. Maybe I better plan something around the states first.... There is alot of very pretty country in the States here I have still never even seen....

I'm riding a Wabs, TWN's Dl650, in 2010, to Alaska and beyond. Frankly, I would not ride *all* of AK on a feejer. At least not the haul road, up to PrudHo bay.. :rolleyes:

Read up on TWN's and MCML's ride to Hyder when they hit road construction..

Pretty little loverly flag lady innocently asks

"So tell me, how do them pretty blue n' silver bikes your on handle gravel?"

MCML - "Pretty good, Thanks for asking!"

TWN - "How deep is the gravel"

Prettly little Flag Lady - "6 inches deep and freshly laid".....

[SIZE=8pt]that should get some of the perverts here going....[/SIZE]

So.. buy a cheap 'throw-away' bike and ride it AK.

Today I rode a 5,300 dollar Dl650 with 20,500 Bmw's...

Spectacular scenery, once in a lifetime to see.

hmmm... 20,500 - 5,300 = more smiles per mile for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
After I bought my K7 Wee there was talk on this forum of an Adventure Tourer ride to Alaska. IIRC only one or two ended up going. I would be in for Alaska in 2010. I agree large groups are hard to coordinate. But I know of groups of 6-8 that have done well. Anyway I am not much of an organizer but I am willing to help. I would love to go before I don't get the chance for some unseen reasons. Mike in Fremont, Ca

That depends on what you're calling an "Alaska Ride". It's a big state with lots to see. If you're only thinking of Prudhoe Bay, then your bike choices and dates are somewhat limited.

I realize not all of you are lucky enough to live in Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC, Canada! :lol:

BTW - Alaska is one of the states.

(So is Hawaii, but the ride across the bridge is long and boring.) :jester:

There are LOTS of beautiful rides in BC and AB Canada that could easily be done in 3 weeks. I might suggest you participate in the 2009 CFR just to get a small taste of what the easy part of your Alaska fantasy will be.

So, flesh this out a bit more and you might get a couple of fellow victims. Prudhoe isn't a trip you want to make solo, and it certainly shouldn't be PeeWee's Big Adventure the first time out.

Last edited by a moderator:
2009 is a diagonal cross-country in 17 days. The GF and I are seriously considering Alaska in 2010.

My Alaska journey would have to be limited to roads suitable for two-up on the FJR. I'm considering shipping the FJR to a friend's place near Seattle, flying out to meet it, then taking off for AK from there. Our time window would be limited to 3 weeks, including the two days for flying.

If any of this coincides with your group, I'd love to participate.

Coordination of this sort of thing isn't TOO difficult if you merely provide details and plans and you make the participants do their own legwork to comply.

I can tell you how I've done more complex arrangements in the past.

1) Create a Yahoo group for participants to communicate.

2) Provide logistical details for the adventure - such as passport requirements, firearms laws, border crossing rules and locations, etc.

3) Provide a meeting time and date that participants must comply with. (You don't care how or why they get there, only that they comply.)

4) Provide an agenda / trip planner that's attainable and reasonable for all parties. 700 mile days are not a "vacation" for most.

5) Arrange ONE event at the beginning of the adventure so that everyone gets to know one another. REQUIRE that participants spring for prepayment of that event by some specific date well in advance of the adventure. You're trying to eliminate the wannabes.

6) Obviously you want to limit the number of motorcycles involved in this sort of thing to a reasonable number. I'd say 10 is the max. 12 might be doable. (Two groups of 5 or 6).

7) Be open to participant ideas of things to do and places to go.

8) Do nothing heroic.

Obviously I can help coordinate this sort of thing if we're serious. Something like this is not as complex as NAFO or CFR because the agenda is something I would normally work out for myself. There's no need for a meeting hall, gifts, t-shirts, or other amenities. It's a bit like planning your own trip and letting others tag along.

So if there's a genuine interest, I can get this ball rolling in a few days if you folks want me to. Believe me, if somebody else wants to take the handlebars, rock on!

Coordination of this sort of thing isn't TOO difficult if you merely provide details and plans and you make the participants do their own legwork to comply.
I can tell you how I've done more complex arrangements in the past.

1) Create a Yahoo group for participants to communicate.

2) Provide logistical details for the adventure - such as passport requirements, firearms laws, border crossing rules and locations, etc.

3) Provide a meeting time and date that participants must comply with. (You don't care how or why they get there, only that they comply.)

4) Provide an agenda / trip planner that's attainable and reasonable for all parties. 700 mile days are not a "vacation" for most.

5) Arrange ONE event at the beginning of the adventure so that everyone gets to know one another. REQUIRE that participants spring for prepayment of that event by some specific date well in advance of the adventure. You're trying to eliminate the wannabes.

6) Obviously you want to limit the number of motorcycles involved in this sort of thing to a reasonable number. I'd say 10 is the max. 12 might be doable. (Two groups of 5 or 6).

7) Be open to participant ideas of things to do and places to go.

8) Do nothing heroic.

Obviously I can help coordinate this sort of thing if we're serious. Something like this is not as complex as NAFO or CFR because the agenda is something I would normally work out for myself. There's no need for a meeting hall, gifts, t-shirts, or other amenities. It's a bit like planning your own trip and letting others tag along.

So if there's a genuine interest, I can get this ball rolling in a few days if you folks want me to. Believe me, if somebody else wants to take the handlebars, rock on!

2WheelTiger, where are you located? It's kinda hard to tell from your Profile. Also I am in the logistics and planning stage of an Alaska trip right now. I am trying to get as much info as I possibly can. If I was able to go it would have to be 3weeks max. I think my biggest problem in my profession is time of year cause it sounds like Alaska is a June, July trip and that's right when we start getting busy in Fire Season. I am still trying to read all the ride reports that I can that talk about routes etc. I would be looking for a pavement ride though. I think the Haul Road would be out of the question....

Alaska is on my list of 'must do' rides and 2010 was my target before the economy turned sour. At this point I can't commit but I'll be watching this thread.

Alaska is on my list of 'must do' rides and 2010 was my target before the economy turned sour. At this point I can't commit but I'll be watching this thread.
+1. I was thinking on taking the Ural but it'll be a long trip on that thing.
At least if the Ural breaks down, we'll be close to a source of parts. Russia's close, and I hear some of those pipeline mechanics are pretty good with big hammers and pipe wrenches.

PROPOSAL:

Trip start (arrival) date: Saturday, July 3, 2010 before 6pm. Kickoff dinner at 7PM at a local venue (TBD).

Trip start (arrival) location: Kamloops, BC, Canada (facility TBD)

Trip start (KSU) date/time: Sunday, July 4, 2010 / 09:00

Waypoint information TBD

Trip end date/time/location: Saturday, July 17, 2010 / 18:00 / Vancouver, BC or Banff, AB, Canada (eastbound or westbound groups.)

For travellers with 3 weeks vacation, this allows 3 days to reach the start point, 14 days for the adventure, and 4 days to return to your homes.

With the exception of the Kickoff Dinner on July 3, all accomodations will be the responsibility of the individual participant(s).

Does anyone see a problem with this proposal so far.