IIHS Study on Integrated Braking Systems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took the ERC class on a rainy and slick parking lot. I was absolutely amazed at the FJR Gen III Braking System Performance, as was the ERC Instructor. The Instructor rides one of those big HD Touring bikes and he had ABS, he couldnt comprehend how fast the FJR wwould stop using both brakes or just using the rear pedal.

The Instructor rides one of those big HD Touring bikes...
Well there's his problem...
winksmiley02.gif

Personally, I like that I have ABS but I don't care much for the linked system. After years of riding sport bikes I'm used to having the bulk of my stopping power in that lever on the right. It took me a bit to remember to mash on the brake pedal to get my full front stopping power. I'll admit the system works, but it seems to be a little lazy especially when you have gotten used to working both brakes independently. I've yet to activate the ABS myself, but I'm happy to know it's there just in case.

My first "hot" ride after break in was with a friend riding a ZRX. He decided to show me he could lose me on Push Mountain Road in Arkansas, and I was just immature enough to show him he couldn't.
no.gif

And he didn't. I'll admit I felt the anti-lock brakes chatter while trail braking down into a couple of the corners and was proud I had them. The next "hot" ride was on the same road with a group of FJR-riding dingbats I met up in Missouri in the Autumn of 2013, and the pace wasn't quite as frantic, but I was proud to know I the ABS would help me if needed.

I feel like gixxerjasen about the linked brakes. I'd rather make my own decision. I know the linked brakes are there to take care of people who don't know how to or refuse to use the front, but comparing the plumbing for the brakes on my ZRX to the plumbing and electronics on the FJR just makes me shake my head in wonder.
fool.gif

I feel like gixxerjasen about the linked brakes. I'd rather make my own decision. I know the linked brakes are there to take care of people who don't know how to or refuse to use the front, but comparing the plumbing for the brakes on my ZRX to the plumbing and electronics on the FJR just makes me shake my head in wonder.
fool.gif
It's interesting to read these comments from you and Jasen. To me they are reminiscent of the types of things we used to hear from car drivers when ABS was first introduced ("I'd rather be in control", etc.). It wasn't stated expressly in the IIHS study referenced at the start of this thread, but I suspect that it was partly intended to address these sentiments. The people at the IIHS had probably heard similar statements and decided to see what the evidence says. Their conclusion is that overall, taking into account riders of all abilities, and not just experienced riders like you guys, ABS + linked brakes = fewer collisions and lower medical bills than just ABS alone.

I will say that it's worth noting, however, that the IIHS doesn't say anything about complexity vs. simplicity/cost of production/maintenance, etc. They're only concerned with on-road impacts and medical bills.

I'm sure there will be more studies done and further advances in technology, but if I had to bet I'd say linked brakes are here to stay for a good long while.

fool.gif
It's interesting to read these comments from you and Jasen. To me they are reminiscent of the types of things we used to hear from car drivers when ABS was first introduced ("I'd rather be in control", etc.). It wasn't stated expressly in the IIHS study referenced at the start of this thread, but I suspect that it was partly intended to address these sentiments. The people at the IIHS had probably heard similar statements and decided to see what the evidence says. Their conclusion is that overall, taking into account riders of all abilities, and not just experienced riders like you guys, ABS + linked brakes = fewer collisions and lower medical bills than just ABS alone.

I will say that it's worth noting, however, that the IIHS doesn't say anything about complexity vs. simplicity/cost of production/maintenance, etc. They're only concerned with on-road impacts and medical bills.

I'm sure there will be more studies done and further advances in technology, but if I had to bet I'd say linked brakes are here to stay for a good long while.
No doubt. Vehicles and machinery of all sorts are designed to keep the least capable among is from making stupid mistakes. And maybe that's worthwhile. We could debate that from now on and settle nothing or change nobody's minds. I just know I look at the brake lines on the FJR or my previous Honda, and the thought of actually working on it frightens me to the core
uhoh.gif

Personally, I like that I have ABS but I don't care much for the linked system. After years of riding sport bikes I'm used to having the bulk of my stopping power in that lever on the right. It took me a bit to remember to mash on the brake pedal to get my full front stopping power. I'll admit the system works, but it seems to be a little lazy especially when you have gotten used to working both brakes independently. I've yet to activate the ABS myself, but I'm happy to know it's there just in case.
The FJR isn't a sports bike. Even with maximum braking on a perfect surface, you can't lift the rear wheel, so there is always some retardation available from the rear brake. This proportion increases on less-than-perfect surfaces (obviously with less overall retardation).
My take is that if you want 100% braking effort, you must use both brakes. If you are in a situation when you want rear brake only, you are probably concerned with the front sliding out (slippery corner, sand ...). But if you are applying sufficient rear brake to activate the front (remember it's got a threshold), there must be weight transfer onto the front, so it can take some braking without sliding.

Overall, I find this gives a very "planted" feel compared with my Trophy that had no linking. Other than that, I don't notice it at all.

I just took the ERC class on a rainy and slick parking lot. I was absolutely amazed at the FJR Gen III Braking System Performance, as was the ERC Instructor. The Instructor rides one of those big HD Touring bikes and he had ABS, he couldnt comprehend how fast the FJR wwould stop using both brakes or just using the rear pedal.
I took the same class in similar conditions a couple weeks ago and the instructor jokingly commented that I was "cheating" since I had a great ABS system. I stopped faster and smoother than anyone else there and my bike was one of the heaviest.

Last edited by a moderator:
fool.gif
Actually, I seriously doubt that this (bolded) statement is true. If it was, why would they also apply the rear brake when you yank on the front one? Plus when you just stomp the rear brake pedal it only puts a fraction of the available brake effort on up at the front wheel. No I really think they are trying to design the most effective braking system, period. If they were really trying to make it idiot proof they could have both wheels operated fully by a single pedal or lever or both.

Look at modern automobiles as an example. When was the last time you heard anyone lament that the brakes at all 4 corners come on with the push of a single pedal, and then have the proportioning valves and ABS modulators automatically apply the brake power to only the corner(s) that can use it? Don't you think that engineers could design the same thing for bikes? What we have is a far cry from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me clarify, I'm not against linked brakes. What I don't like is taking 1/3 of the front braking and moving it to the rear pedal. I'm not sure what an ideal situation would be as I have not ridden, at least not aggressively, other bikes with other types of linked brakes, I just am not a huge fan of Yamaha's implementation. It would be further up on the list of changes I'd like to see made, well above a 6th gear.
biggrin.png

Technically it is 1/4 of the front brake that is moved to the rear pedal. But I get your point.

I guess the real question to ask is: With just the three pairs of pistons and pads active from the front lever, is there a lack of stopping power on the front wheel? If not, then the rest is fairly moot.

As for what would be the "best" possible configuration? I'm sure there would be as many different opinions about that as there are types of riders, each with different goals. But for a "skilled" performance enthusiast, it might be a 1/2 combined braking system where the front lever has an effect on the rear brake, but not vise versa. And 1/2 an ABS system with the ABS only active on the rear wheel. That way you get full potential braking force on the front end.

It would not prevent you from doing something dumb like locking the front brake and tucking the wheel on a slippery roadway, but re-routing a little of the front fluid pressure to partially actuate the rear brake doesn't seem to ever upset the bike. And the having the modulated rear braking shouldn't cause any great concern either.

Thoughts?

If I coulda found me a sweet 05 for a decent price (with ABS preferably) at the time I was looking I would have....sigh. Of course, as soon as I made my purchase, everyone flooded the market with them. That's how it goes though.
sad.png

... What I don't like is taking 1/3 of the front braking and moving it to the rear pedal. ...
Since you can activate the ABS on the front wheel on a good road surface with just the front brake lever, you have 100% front braking available without any "help" from the rear. All the linking from the rear does is to allow extra retardation of the bike when using the rear brake.
As for the 1/3 (or 1/4), making the assumption that the designed hydraulic pressure for front and rear brakes is similar, the piston diameter of the linked pads is significantly less than that of the three "front" pairs (just visible in the pic below), so the pad force on the disc will be much less than that of each of the three "front" pads.

(Click on image for larger view)

Huh...learned something today.

But then, where's the advantage of that setup? If it is doing so little, why have it anyway?

... What I don't like is taking 1/3 of the front braking and moving it to the rear pedal. ...
Since you can activate the ABS on the front wheel on a good road surface with just the front brake lever, you have 100% front braking available without any "help" from the rear. All the linking from the rear does is to allow extra retardation of the bike when using the rear brake.
As for the 1/3 (or 1/4), making the assumption that the designed hydraulic pressure for front and rear brakes is similar, the piston diameter of the linked pads is significantly less than that of the three "front" pairs (just visible in the pic below), so the pad force on the disc will be much less than that of each of the three "front" pads.

(Click on image for larger view)

It is slightly more complicated than that.... the metering valve and proportioning valve come into play depending on pedal pressure as I mentioned in my previous post.........