Key West Trip!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like key west, been there multiple times . Be prepared to keep yourFJR in 1st gear mostly. If you get lucky you may be able to engage 2nd for a half block. Best bet is to park the FJR. And rent a scooter. Key West is fun, but it's not a motorcycle destination (solely and admittedly my opinion).

Having gone to KW on several occasions, I can't see this as a M/C destination. Heck, I can't even see it as a beach destination as there is really only one halfway nice one. The Keys are just nasty, dirty and run down, KW is tolerable (I guess) well, more-so if you are in with the gay crowd.
U guys have fun, and don't bend over in any of the bars in KW
wink.png

............At least it will be warm, so in one aspect... do it!
Every destination is what you make it I guess. Many enjoy it there and the gay thing doesn't really bother me personally in any way. There certainly are gay bars where if you/me/us go in, then maybe bending over in front of the crowd wouldn't be advised. But the main part of Duval isn't like that at all, or for that matter the other places I mentioned. The tourista dollar is king; even the big money gay owners know that. You would have to make a point of going to a gay bar AND doing the bend for it to be a problem I'd think; esp if it was closing time!

The bigger nuisance IMO are the bums. They are all over the place and constantly hitting folks up mainly at places like Duval @ night and Mallory Square @ sunset. One technique that does seem to work somewhat well is to "bum the bum". When they come over and are about to hit you up, ask 'em for a dollar, or a cigarette! It messes their thing up. I'm surprised Key West city hasn't done more about it, esp in this era of touristas.

I lived down in KW for 2 yrs way back when ('79/'80) and that was before it got so touristy with cruise ships and all. The two downtown theatres had XXX on them all the time (one theater is still there, the other marquee is part of Rexall Drugs on Duval) , and yes, there was a gay scene then - but the beauty of all this is the locals accept pretty much whatever it is you're into that doesn't hurt anyone. The summers then were the best because it was mostly locals as it wasn't a yr round destination like now. These days the real estate is so expensive no normal person can afford to live there, and even the servers they bring in live 4 to a room. Oh, and I forgot the Boat Bar and the West Key next door; one was a titty bar, the other just a rundown local bar. The Green Parrot was a drug smuggler hangout, and today they sell T shirts and coozies....Ah, such color that place was in those days.

Beaches? That's not why folks go there; shoot you can go to beaches in New York. What fun would that be?? I do usually go mornings to the beach @ Trueman Annex USN base. Lotsa coral bits vs sand, but the water is clear and it's a nice bike ride over there. And the big lizards in the rocks are something to see! That is the real southern most point by the way, but no public access. https://tinyurl.com/ovfuuse

The ride in and out - well, it just depends. If you go down on Friday afternoon and return on a Sunday, then it sucks usually. It seems half of Miami is headed that way! But getting down there for things like we've talked about - sunrise over the 7 mile bridge going north or south - well, it's one of the greatest things you'll ever see when conditions are right.

You are right tho, the Keys are run down in places. Kinda like, oh, NYC, Orlando, Mims, NC mountain towns, and maybe some places in your neck of the woods. Who knows, maybe some day Monroe county will tax the shabby folks out of those places and we can get pure tropical bliss from top to bottom! WooHoo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Vic, I've never had a problem. My wife and I have been many times, and all was good.

Vic, I went for a ride yesterday, and found myself just outside of your neighborhood looking for a route down there. I decided to avoid Sebring next time, as there are way too many lights and they all want to be red!
LKLD, the quickest way to my place avoiding Sebring is 98 to Barstow, hit SR60 east to the turnpike then south on the turnpike to the beeline highway exit then head west on Northlake Blvd. That's if you have SUNPASS. If not, get off at the PGA Blvd exit. If you're coming, I'll PM you the address for the gps. :)
Vic, thanks. Thing is, I avoid that part of SR60 as it's a dangerous and boring (visually) road to ride. I'm thinking of taking SR17 out of Bartow, and crossing over after I get past friggin' Land of a 1,000 Redlights-Sebring.

On another note, since we want to try and get everyone in on this trip, and we need to secure a date to get the ball rolling, let's see if we can agree on a date. Easter weekend probably a no go (Apr 20th). That would leave Apr 26-27, May 3-4, May 10-11(11th is Mothers' Day), and May 17-18.

Steve (YummYam) has family in from England that will be here the last weekend in Apr through first weekend in May. Steve has said he doesn't want us hold up any plans for him. Still, if could agree on a date which would have us all there...all the better! So if everyone would place their votes for which date(s) that will work best here, or if there is someone who would post up a poll, that would be better (with multiple votes please). I would do it, but I tend to screw those kind of things up. :)

I vote May 17-18th because there's nothing family related on that day. I'm single so, it doesn't matter to me! :)

We went down to KW a couple of weekends ago. It was our third trip there. The highlight was a seaplane flight out to Dry Tortuga and Fort Jefferson. There's also a ferry that goes out there but takes a whole day. You can swim and snorkel as well.

As long as you know going in that the ride will be relatively slow then you won't be disappointed. We took a lunch break both ways at Wahoo's on the east side of Islamorada (sp?)

83413 Overseas Hwy, Islamorada, FL 33036
(305) 664-9888

As long as you know going in that the ride will be relatively slow then you won't be disappointed. We took a lunch break both ways at Wahoo's on the east side of Islamorada (sp?)
83413 Overseas Hwy, Islamorada, FL 33036(305) 664-9888
I agree, Cop. Your frame of mind is what will make you have a great time. It's our "Margaritaville". It's nice to have that just 4 hours away. Otherwise, I'd have to fly to the Caribbean to do that. I've done it many times but, it can get costly. No! I'm not a parrot head but, I dig the lifestyle. :)

I was booking a cruise (like I do every year) back about 5 yrs ago. It was a Western Caribbean/Mexico cruise. When my T/A emailed me our itinerary and I saw one of the stops was in KW, I immediately called her back and canceled. I told her "I'm not wasting one of my vaca days in that ship hole!" she said she hears that more often than not. "Yeah , I know it's a terrible place" was her words exactly and she's glad I canceled/changed rather than hear the grief upon my return.

I do agree that "It is what you make of it". Getting the boys together actually anywhere that's warm, sounds pretty good right about now. Happy Margarita sipping :)

I was booking a cruise (like I do every year) back about 5 yrs ago. It was a Western Caribbean/Mexico cruise. When my T/A emailed me our itinerary and I saw one of the stops was in KW, I immediately called her back and canceled. I told her "I'm not wasting one of my vaca days in that ship hole!" she said she hears that more often than not. "Yeah , I know it's a terrible place" was her words exactly and she's glad I canceled/changed rather than hear the grief upon my return.
I do agree that "It is what you make of it". Getting the boys together actually anywhere that's warm, sounds pretty good right about now. Happy Margarita sipping
smile.png
I rode out to KW last spring. The road is fairly straight and slow with a good amount of traffic, but it was well worth the trip for the views. For anyone who has never been there, riding out is well worth the trip. KW itself seemed like a party town with plenty of bars and people just having fun. I stayed overnight on Marathon Key because that is where we could get a room without a reservation. Marathon is nothing special but is one of the larger keys so they have some stores and hotels.

I was expecting more beaches and I was disappointed in that. For some reason I was thinking about the keys as islands similar to Caribbean islands, where the perimeter is all sandy beach loaded with bikini clad young ladies. There are actually very few beaches.

I'm glad I went out and saw the place, but going back is not high on my list. On the other hand, I also visited New Orleans last spring as part of the same trip, and I am riding back there this year.
punk.gif

Yeah Greg, it's the Everglades and Inner Gulf that spoils the beaches on the Keys. Seems that all the "green" just washes towards the Keys and it's effects are way worse than a seaweed attack.

I've been 3 times, that equals plenty enough of those long ass straight bridges for me. It's cool at first I will agree but gets old kwik!

If ya wanna plan it for Friday and Sat, April 18,19, count me in. If not, I'll understand but sorry, can't make it. I never make plans on Sundays: that's family and church time for me.

Gary

darksider #44

Gary, we were talking about heading to West Palm on Friday, leaving there 3:00a Saturday morning, spending the night Sat. in KW, and coming back Sunday. You could go down with us, get some photos and lunch, and then head back Sat. if you think it's doable. I know how you IronButt guys are. :)

I vote May 17-18th because there's nothing family related on that day. I'm single so, it doesn't matter to me! :)
Hell, I'm married and it doesn't matter to me. May 17-18th is good for me, and I believe Steve could make that date.
So, 2 votes for May 17-18th.

I like key west, been there multiple times . Be prepared to keep yourFJR in 1st gear mostly. If you get lucky you may be able to engage 2nd for a half block. Best bet is to park the FJR. And rent a scooter. Key West is fun, but it's not a motorcycle destination (solely and admittedly my opinion).
I went a few yrs back and have to agree. But the good thing is that everyone is very used to all the bicycles and scooters so I felt quite comfortable in short, tennies and a t-shirt sans helmet. The one and only time I rode like that. IMHO it's a fun place to visit once every few yrs but given the choice there's other places I'd choose to go.

After taking a very long weekend off in March for the IBA partay, May will be easier for me to secure more time off than April.

3 votes for May 17-18th.

May 17-18th seems to be taking a foot hold. Tony! What say you?! Is that doable for you and Mrs Tony? And..... Let's not forget the host of a Most Excellent Tech Day. I'm thinking if we all settle on that day now, chances with be better for available rooms. Thoughts?! :)

Gary, we were talking about heading to West Palm on Friday, leaving there 3:00a Saturday morning, spending the night Sat. in KW, and coming back Sunday. You could go down with us, get some photos and lunch, and then head back Sat. if you think it's doable. I know how you IronButt guys are.
smile.png
Understood. However, the only Friday I can do this is the 18th of April since I have that day off. I can do the ride home easy enough on Saturday afternoon... it's about 8 hours. Long as I'm home by 11 or so, I'm good.

Gary

Gary, we were talking about heading to West Palm on Friday, leaving there 3:00a Saturday morning, spending the night Sat. in KW, and coming back Sunday. You could go down with us, get some photos and lunch, and then head back Sat. if you think it's doable. I know how you IronButt guys are. :)
Understood. However, the only Friday I can do this is the 18th of April since I have that day off. I can do the ride home easy enough on Saturday afternoon... it's about 8 hours. Long as I'm home by 11 or so, I'm good.

Gary
Gary, I'm working Friday, but will try to get away around 4:00p to head over with Steve. I understand you have your priorities, and if you can't make it...you will be missed!
3 votes for May 17-18th. More votes please!

The middle of May isn't good for me - that's the weekend of one of Hoagy's rides in Texas:

https://hoagysheroes.wordpress.com/2014-ride-information/

My pref would be earlier; but I think that we need to just set a date and whoever can make it, will make it. It seems every date that's brought up is a conflict for someone. Maybe this is something we can do more than once a yr, ya know?

My thoughts are that this needs to be done sooner than later. In my case, by May or so I'm looking north for destinations as I go out of state often.

So just pick a date and go with it.

Latest posts