Key West Trip!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about this weekend? Too much planning and not enough ride reporting in this thread.
bike.gif

So... For those of us that are set on May 17-18, I'm thinking of booking a room. I'll wait a little bit until Tony chimes in. That is all for now! :)

How about this weekend? Too much planning and not enough ride reporting in this thread.
bike.gif
Are you riding down?
lol No can do. I was playing with a snowmobile today and I'll be running the snow blower tomorrow. It will be a while before I can get my bike down the driveway. I will be riding south some time in the spring but I think I'l stay west of Florida this time.

bike.gif
Are you riding down?
lol No can do. I was playing with a snowmobile today and I'll be running the snow blower tomorrow. It will be a while before I can get my bike down the driveway. I will be riding south some time in the spring but I think I'l stay west of Florida this time.
Are you going to SW-FOG?

When the weather clears everywhere else I like to head west and north from Florida as well. Between Hoagy's run, my brother in San Diego, and SW-FOG it's looking like a 2 week + run in May.

All this KW talk has me thinking of running down there anyway here sometime before Bike Week; my FJR is tore up right now, but the trusty HD is running pretty good so may need to point it south & do a recon for these guys...

Jim, A Recon run would be nice. If you do it, check out the:

Banana Bay Resort and Marina

2319 N Roosevelt Blvd

Key West, FL 33040

They have rooms for May 17-18th. The reviews are mixed. Some loved it and some called it a Shit hole!

You and I are former Navy CPO's. We'd be quite comfortable in a Shit hole.
rolleyes.gif
Check it out and report back.

It's cheap compared to everything else. If the AC works and the sheets are clean, I'm good. You know... Like the Navy!
biggrin.png

bike.gif
Are you riding down?
Are you going to SW-FOG?

When the weather clears everywhere else I like to head west and north from Florida as well. Between Hoagy's run, my brother in San Diego, and SW-FOG it's looking like a 2 week + run in May.

All this KW talk has me thinking of running down there anyway here sometime before Bike Week; my FJR is tore up right now, but the trusty HD is running pretty good so may need to point it south & do a recon for these guys...
I wish I could, but no, my niece is getting married in Ohio at the time when SW-FOG is happening. I'll be heading to New Orleans for a day or two in April and then across the south of Texas. I want to see Big Bend and the Alamo. I don't have a schedule or plan beyond that other than to get back home before mid-May.

Jim, A Recon run would be nice. If you do it, check out the:
Banana Bay Resort and Marina

2319 N Roosevelt Blvd

Key West, FL 33040

They have rooms for May 17-18th. The reviews are mixed. Some loved it and some called it a Shit hole!

You and I are former Navy CPO's. We'd be quite comfortable in a Shit hole.
rolleyes.gif
Check it out and report back.

It's cheap compared to everything else. If the AC works and the sheets are clean, I'm good. You know... Like the Navy!
biggrin.png

I know right where that is. If it's priced right then I'd say gamble on it because the location is pretty good. Easy taxi, and probably bus ride in to the main part of party town. It's also only a mile from the gate @ Trumbo.

Are you retired USN? if so, do you/have you stayed on Trumbo? I like it there and probably wouldn't go down there so much if I didn't have access. It's relatively cheap to stay and more important safe from theft.

I'll stop by if I get down there before you all do. Maybe they'll let me look at a room. You're right, some folks say it was OK, and others say it was a shit hole - and yes I seeked them out when I was a hard charging liberty hound.....

Not Retired. No Trumbo privileges. I only did 8 years. 4 at sea on the USS Midway and 4 on shore duty in Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico. If I had stayed in, I'd go back on another Carrier. One tour on a carrier is enough. You don't want to do that twice!!!
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Retired. No Trumbo privileges. I only did 8 years. 4 at sea on the USS Midway and 4 on shore duty in Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico. If I had stayed in, I'd go back on another Carrier. One tour on a carrier is enough. You don't want to do that twice!!!
no.gif
You did good if you were a Chief in 8 yrs. Yep, small boys is where it's at IMO; I did a tender, FBM sub, and 2 frigates. I did work on carriers in shipyards back in the 80s, but no duty thankfully.

I saw the Midway in '75 @ Apra Harbor, Guam. They were offloading the remnants of the Vietnamese air force and refugees after the fall of Saigon, but I guess that's a story for around the campfire sometime.

Damn, now I got Key West on my mind and a spontaneous road trip; I better start lining up my kitchen pass...

Jim, I only made E7 Chief in 6yrs and 8months because I joined under the D.P.E.P. program and was given E5 the day I graduated from boot camp. Long story! I'll explain it to you over a few beers when we do the next Tech day.
yes.gif

May 17-18th seems to be taking a foot hold. Tony! What say you?! Is that doable for you and Mrs Tony? And..... Let's not forget the host of a Most Excellent Tech Day. I'm thinking if we all settle on that day now, chances with be better for available rooms. Thoughts?! :)

Gary, we were talking about heading to West Palm on Friday, leaving there 3:00a Saturday morning, spending the night Sat. in KW, and coming back Sunday. You could go down with us, get some photos and lunch, and then head back Sat. if you think it's doable. I know how you IronButt guys are.
smile.png
Understood. However, the only Friday I can do this is the 18th of April since I have that day off. I can do the ride home easy enough on Saturday afternoon... it's about 8 hours. Long as I'm home by 11 or so, I'm good.

Gary
Sorry for the delay in a reply. Jim and I snuck a tech day in last week. (Actually we worked on the '08 again)- Thanks Jim!

For me sooner is better as the Florida temps will be on the rise and the northern border will open her gates to the rest of the continent in May.

We could do 2 shifts (Dates) down if that was desired. I would probably run both. My house is open for staging riders. For those comments about a slow ride to Key West,

These are the opinions of riders who ride in peek hours. From my house I average over 50 mph to KW, with the speed limits being the only slowing factor.

Riders are welcome at Vics or my house. As far as riding to West Palm Beach from the western side and avoiding #60:

Head down I-75 east on #70 to #710 is a possibility.

To Key West directly:

For speed take alligator alley-, But if you have the time… Try going all the way south to #41/#90 and take that west through the Everglades.

I like that road (Until you get east)

I will probably leave out timing my ride with the sunrise on the 7 mile bridge. If you do this and brave the early wake-up, you will be rewarded with the best ride possible.

A night ride through boring areas to shimmering waters and Key lights south to a sunrise on the 7 mile bridge with an early morning entry into a sleepy Key West island where

the marker is available without the large crowd there yet.

4 hour ride from West Palm Beach. Don't fret if you don't have sun pass, cause the readers will bill by mail off your plates… Sometimes (
punk.gif
)

So, set a date or dates and lets do this !

Ok guys! There it is. Pick your dates. May 17-18 is still on the table. Vote for any other dates and we'll see what happens. It's On!!! :)

Wish I could go...
All it takes is inserting the key into the ignition, Toro! DO IT!!!! :))
I 'm waiting to see if the snow melts by then
It better have melted ! I want to run a BBG to Iowa and a BBG back to apologize to my '05 for having ridden more miles on my '08 so far this year.

Actually, I want to surprise my sister with a visit..
Maybe I could do a SS1k down to my dad's place in North Port...then hook up with you characters for the ride down to KW.

Ok guys! There it is. Pick your dates. May 17-18 is still on the table. Vote for any other dates and we'll see what happens. It's On!!! :)
I have the time off tentatively scheduled for the May 17-18 dates.Tony, If your sister reads this forum there will be no surprise!