Key West Trip!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like I can save an hour if I use the turnpike. How much is the toll?
Here ya go. https://www.floridasturnpike.com/TollCalcV3/index.htm
Thanks for the link!

That was 20 minutes of my life I can never get back. ;)

If I remember correctly, the total cost on the Florida turnpike from Inverness coming down I-75 (where it starts in the north) to my exit is about $15. You have my address. Your gps will tell you what to do after you get off at the Beeline SR710 exit. :)
Sunpass and toll by plate aren't workable options for me here.

Can I pay cash thru this section?

Thanks for the link!

If I remember correctly, the total cost on the Florida turnpike from Inverness coming down I-75 (where it starts in the north) to my exit is about $15. You have my address. Your gps will tell you what to do after you get off at the Beeline SR710 exit. :)

Of Course you can. Not a problem. But, in the Miami area, toll by plate is the law and the way to go. I've taken many people though there and everyone says the same thing! They NEVER got the bill in the mail. Especially the out of town people. You'll be fine! :)

Got all the numbers except LKLD. This is taking shape and.... it will be memorable!! :)
Check your PM Vic.

Thanks for the link!

20 minutes Chuck? In 2 minutes I had start and end points, and total toll.

So I'm a little slow!

I was actually looking a payment options an got caught up reading a bunch of stuff I'll never need to know.

I never did find out if (exempt) bikes need a transponder for the I95 toll road in Miami

You don't, Chuck. It's a toll by plate situation through Miami. Don't worry about it. Out of state plates are NEVER charged! They get there money from the locals who don't have a registered Sunpass transponder. Trust me on this one. I live here.
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
They take cash, though it could take awhile to get through, a SunPass lane that works not only for Fl SunPass, but also other states that they have an agreement with FL (not sure of the states) so if you have a transponder from your state you could use that, and the Toll-by-Plate. My understanding on TbP, is there is an additional $2.50 added as an processing fee. Some have said you might not get the bill, so that might be an easy option.

Cool Beanz, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to swap cellphone numbers so we can keep in touch with minor details as this get closer. PM me your numbers and I'll give you mine. A 4 way text works wonders! It's On! Bitches!!! :))
Done!

I was just plugging addresses into Google Maps. There is a lot of miles for me to cover.

The SS1000 from JAX in March is going to prove (to me) that I have what it takes for this trip.

Chuck, IMO the turnpike is not worth it. I have made the ride/drive MANY times and you save hassles of tolls if you take I-75 to I-10 to I-295 to I-95.

Example:

Mileage from Macon to West Palm Beach W/turnpike 523 miles

Mileage I-10 I-295 I-95 554 miles

OR

Best of time and cost:

Take the turnpike to Yeehaw Junction (SR60)

Exit east towards Vero Beach and head South on I-95 530 miles The road you see parallel to I-95 is the turnpike, why pay?

And Chuck,

Do the rest over in West Palm Beach on the way down.

Thanks for the tips Tony!

In some past travels toll roads have more than paid for themselves in time savings. I was (falsely) assuming that would be the case here too.

I'll be arriving at Vic's Friday with sleep on my short list.

They take cash, though it could take awhile to get through, a SunPass lane that works not only for Fl SunPass, but also other states that they have an agreement with FL (not sure of the states) so if you have a transponder from your state you could use that, and the Toll-by-Plate. My understanding on TbP, is there is an additional $2.50 added as an processing fee. Some have said you might not get the bill, so that might be an easy option.
I have the Georgia PeachPass. Bikes are free in the HOV / Toll lanes, but you have to have a pass. They set me up a toll exempt account and sent me a free pass.

Out of state peeps that travel thru Atl (I-85) often can get them too ;)

"Customer service representatives can assist you in opening a toll-exempt account by phone at 1-855-PCH-PASS (724-7277) Monday-Friday, from 8:00 am-5:00 pm"

I guess you have all the info you need, Chuck. Either way, we'll be in contact via text. I'm never away from my phone... Unless I'm in the John. That's sacred ground! :))

I have the Georgia PeachPass. Bikes are free in the HOV / Toll lanes, but you have to have a pass. They set me up a toll exempt account and sent me a free pass.Out of state peeps that travel thru Atl (I-85) often can get them too
wink.png

"Customer service representatives can assist you in opening a toll-exempt account by phone at 1-855-PCH-PASS (724-7277) Monday-Friday, from 8:00 am-5:00 pm"
I travel through Atlanta often on the bike. I do not have a Peach Pass and almost always get in the HOV lane and so far have not been stopped. Dunno if I've just been lucky or what; I probably should send off for one just to be safe.

The HOV through Atlanta is a real time saver IME; it almost always flows well when the other lanes get backed up.

I have the Georgia PeachPass. Bikes are free in the HOV / Toll lanes, but you have to have a pass. They set me up a toll exempt account and sent me a free pass.Out of state peeps that travel thru Atl (I-85) often can get them too
wink.png

I travel through Atlanta often on the bike. I do not have a Peach Pass and almost always get in the HOV lane and so far have not been stopped. Dunno if I've just been lucky or what; I probably should send off for one just to be safe.

The HOV through Atlanta is a real time saver IME; it almost always flows well when the other lanes get backed up.
+1 Maybe I should quit relying on my luck too. I am always jumping into the HOV on I-75 when my timing is bad in Atlanta.

Thanks for the info…

Last edited by a moderator:
After my last post I was browsing the PeachPass site and read they are planning to add a lot more toll / HOV lanes in the next few years.

I had heard there was a limited number of free transponders. Better hustle!

If you call and find there is any advantage to a Ga address, PM me for one
wink.png

I know for a fact that North Carolina's toll pass works here in FL because a while back, all the amber alert signs said so! Good to know for my next trip to EOM. :)

Tony & Vic, decided to take advantage of the great weather today and went for a ride. I started out going to Okeechobee, looking for a way down to your place in May. Decided not to stop there, and went to WPB! Just under 3hrs, with light traffic. I took SR17s from Bartow, then took SR66e out of Zolfo Springs. That got me to Okeechobee, where I took SR710s into WPB. Not a bad ride, with few lights, but places to stop if needed. I think Steve and I will go that way to y'all's place.

Steve, remind me to go over this route with you when we next meet.

SR 710 is the Beeline Highway. That is the best/fastest way to WPB. It's a straight line. The turn off to my place is Northlake Blvd. Your gps will take you to my house from there. I had to go to Sebring a few days ago. That's what I took to Okeechobee and US98 up from there. Very nice route. No traffic or LEO's. :))