New PIAA Slimline Sports Horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed my slimline horn yesterday and it works well. I did notice that one of my stock horns had a sticker with an H on it, the other horn had no sticker. I don't know if the sticker indicate a high note horn or not. I did some experimenting and thought I could hear a difference between the two stock horns (seemed better with the horn without a sticker)

horn_003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed my slimline horn yesterday and it works well. I did notice that one of my stock horns had a sticker with an H on it, the other horn had no sticker. I don't know if the sticker indicate a high note horn or not. I did some experimenting and that I could hear a difference between the two stock horns (seemed better with the horn without a sticker)
Well, after our PMs, I had to go look again. Yamaha does list two different part numbers for right versus left horns. The horn themselves carry exactly the same identifications, but I assume one is adjusted differently from the other for a high/low note setting. I'm sure it's already been discussed extensively before. My sticker was probably washed off many, many moons ago is the reason I didn't see one.

So you left the low-note horn and paired it with the Slimline, correct? I'm so freakin deaf I probably can't tell the difference anyway.

Jeff, I've been using PIAA dual tone horns for a couple of years now. They are advertised just like the one you mentioned without use of relay and just sire up and use. I have them on both my bikes and my car without relay and never had any electrical problems. They are a little larger than the ones you have, but you get two horns for about $45. Here is a link to them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/85110-115db-400HZ-50...s/dp/B00067BWBI
Any chance you can put a DC-Amp meter on those horns and tell us what the current draw is? I'm not at all opposed to going above the stock horn current draw, as long as I don't go much above.

I looked at those horns several times before, but was afraid that two of them would draw way above stock amperage. I'm not willing to install another wire/relay system or cut any plastic.
I don't have a DC-Amp meter, but maybe I'll find a friend with one to do that. I do know that I put the same horn combo on the ST and FJR and my Mazda 3 just plug and play with the longest use on the ST (wimpy horns just like stock FJR horn, but Mazda worse) and no problems with blown fuse or anything, so guess OK just from practical experience. Maybe I can run over to your place when you are home and let you measure them.

doctorj

Jeff, I've been using PIAA dual tone horns for a couple of years now. They are advertised just like the one you mentioned without use of relay and just sire up and use. I have them on both my bikes and my car without relay and never had any electrical problems. They are a little larger than the ones you have, but you get two horns for about $45. Here is a link to them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/85110-115db-400HZ-50...s/dp/B00067BWBI
doctorj
Doc, were you able to get the two dual tone horns in the same spots as the OEM horns on the FJR without cutting any plastic away??

This is great, I anxiously await measurement info. I need to replace my horns!! Thanks guys in advance.

doctorj
Doc, were you able to get the two dual tone horns in the same spots as the OEM horns on the FJR without cutting any plastic away??
Yes, I did get them mounted with no cutting and to the same spot as the OEMs. I did add a little longer wire for each hook up just to make it a bit easier. They are a little larger than the OEMs so more easily seen if looking at them if on your knees or sumpin, but they haven't come loose or rattle. I've been very happy with them on my three vehicles. I'll try to take a pic and then figure out how to post (not a big picture taker :( .

doctorj

Any chance you can put a DC-Amp meter on those horns and tell us what the current draw is? I'm not at all opposed to going above the stock horn current draw, as long as I don't go much above.

I looked at those horns several times before, but was afraid that two of them would draw way above stock amperage. I'm not willing to install another wire/relay system or cut any plastic.
I don't have a DC-Amp meter, but maybe I'll find a friend with one to do that. I do know that I put the same horn combo on the ST and FJR and my Mazda 3 just plug and play with the longest use on the ST (wimpy horns just like stock FJR horn, but Mazda worse) and no problems with blown fuse or anything, so guess OK just from practical experience. Maybe I can run over to your place when you are home and let you measure them.

Thanks guys for opening this thread which got me interested in upgrading my stock horns.

I was interested in the dual horn set if I could install it without new wiring or cutting away plastic and it seems this is the case.

I called PIAA about the current draw for the dual horns and they told me it is about 4 amps each, so no need to worry about rewiring. They actually make two dual horn kits; one is a 400 plus 500 Hz kit (#85110) and the other is a 500 plus 600 Hz kit (#85112). There are extensive reviews of these kits on Amazon.com, all excellent, and there seems to be a slight preference for the 500/600 kit because it sounds more distinctive and "European". Amazon seems to have the best prices right now; I just bought the 500/600 kit for $37.76. It was just too good a deal to pass up!

You can also go onto You Tube and find some sound bites for each of these units. Based on that, I decided to go with the higher frequency set.

"one is a 400 plus 500 Hz kit (#85110) and the other is a 500 plus 600 Hz kit (#85112). There are extensive reviews of these kits on Amazon.com, all excellent, and there seems to be a slight preference for the 500/600 kit because it sounds more distinctive and "European"

I've got the 400/500 combo so sure would like to know how the ones you get sound. I've had several stebel horns on various bikes in past and each one has broken in one way or another. This combo has been great since putting on the ST about 2 1/2 yr. ago which is why I put a set on my 08 FJr right after getting it in Aug. 08 (coming up on 2 yr.) and my Mazda 3 sedan. I hate those wimpy horns that come stock.

doctorj

"one is a 400 plus 500 Hz kit (#85110) and the other is a 500 plus 600 Hz kit (#85112). There are extensive reviews of these kits on Amazon.com, all excellent, and there seems to be a slight preference for the 500/600 kit because it sounds more distinctive and "European"
I've got the 400/500 combo so sure would like to know how the ones you get sound. I've had several stebel horns on various bikes in past and each one has broken in one way or another. This combo has been great since putting on the ST about 2 1/2 yr. ago which is why I put a set on my 08 FJr right after getting it in Aug. 08 (coming up on 2 yr.) and my Mazda 3 sedan. I hate those wimpy horns that come stock.

doctorj
I'll get back to you. Won't get my hands on them until next Monday but I'll probably do the install very quickly.

Thanks again to you and Jeff for raising the thread!

The Slimline horns are pretty spendy though, about $60 each.
yes, for the same $$$, you can "properly" install a $35 stebel compact air horn with a $30 Eastern Beaver single horn harness

3469318274_7c3cf1ea54.jpg
Sorry Patriot, nobody seems to be running to set up your gig. :rolleyes:

If someone does, I want photos and a write-up as to how many beers they had when they made that decision. :blink:

;)

just ribbin' you bud...atleast you are on an operating bike.

Sorry Patriot, nobody seems to be running to set up your gig. :rolleyes:
If someone does, I want photos and a write-up as to how many beers they had when they made that decision. :blink:
Look at the rest of the garage; that horn fits right in! Ha!

Messin' with ya, Mike... :p

I bought the PIAA Sports Horn kit ($38 on Amazon.com) in the 500/600 hz version. The box it came in promised "high pitch European sports car quality". Not sure if that's a good strategy though; now when I hit the horn, cagers will be looking around for a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

The kit is pretty simple. In addition to some generic instructions, you get the 2 horns and 2 ground wires as shown in the photo below.

kitcontents.jpg

This kit is basically plug and play in the sense that the spade connectors from the stock horn fit the PIAA horns and then you just bolt them on. According to the manufacturer, the horns only draw about 4 amps each so there's no need to use new harnesses and relays etc.

That's not to say there isn't some fiddling around though. With my big hands and lack of X-Ray vison, I couldn't get behind the stock horn bracket to hold the nut with a vise-grip and there's precious little room to work in that space anyway. So I took off the lower cowling and inner fender panel on each side. That can be a PITA but if you've done it before, it's only about a 20 minute job. With that done I had the access I needed. The stock horns come off easily; just get a vise-grip on the nut around the back, grab the horn with your hand and turn CCW.

I chose to mount the PIAA horns in the same place as the stock horns and that brings up another minor annoyance to deal with; because the ground terminal on the PIAAs is lower down on the horn, the FJR's ground wires are not quite long enough to reach. You can come up with your own work-around (e.g. a splice) but I was able to make it work by teasing some slack out of the ground wires by pulling them out of their harnesses a bit. I also filed a notch in the inner fender panel on the RHS to get some more slack.

You could get around the too-short ground wires by mounting the PIAAs higher up on the bracket. See photo below showing the alternate mounting position at the allen head bolt. If you decide to mount there, don't forget to move the rubber washers up. Apparently they are important for vibration damping.

mountingposition.jpg

The following photo shows how the horns look from the front at fender level:

hornsfrontview.jpg

The next photo shows the side view also from fender level. Actually, the horns aren't noticible from the side and you only see them here because of the paper background.

hornsideview.jpg

Finally, thanks to my tool monkey and shop foreman for helping out (not). I think he was after my beer!

shopforeman.jpg

The horns sound really good and just as advertised. They're much louder than the stock horns without the Roadrunner "meep, meep" quality. Come to think of it, kinda' like a Lamborghini.....

I just recieved my PIAAs the other day, not yet had time to install. What the heck is with the crazy covers that cover the outlets of both horns? What is that for? Some kind of acoustic resonator perhaps? Anyone know?

Thanks for the writeup, El Cajone. I think I'm going to opt for the higher mounting position; get them a bit more hidden and avoid the ground wire issue.

I just recieved my PIAAs the other day, not yet had time to install. What the heck is with the crazy covers that cover the outlets of both horns? What is that for? Some kind of acoustic resonator perhaps? Anyone know?
Those covers are supposed to limit the amount of rain and dust getting into the horn. Not sure how effective they are, particularly in the position I mounted them in. I decided to leave them on but you could easily cut them off if you wanted to; they're made from a relatively soft plastic.