New PIAA Slimline Sports Horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not even consider the protective function of keeping crap out of the horn. I was focused on some bizzarre acoustic function. Good thinking El Cajone!!!!

Got mine mounted last night, and they are LOUD!

4721054656_ea2391f858.jpg

Mounted them high, by removing the stock horn bracket altogether. Put a rubber o-ring on the back side of the PIAA bracket, to help with any vibration issues. I did swing them out slightly, from what is shown in the pic, to avoid any interference. Tools needed are a 10mm box/open end wrench, for the nut behind the stock horn, and a 4mm allen wrench, to remove/replace the horn bracket. The pink wire is ground, and the brown (tan) wire is hot.

Thanks for the tip!

Make sure to turn the forks full lock and see where they can compress to. When I mounted my new PIAAs, they cleared till full left (I think) and compressed, then could latch the fork. After that "oops" I think the problem was a bent horn mount that allowed it to sit ever so slightly forward.

Since then & removing the broken horn, I changed to a REALLY loud set that are actually mounted to the inner surfaces of the side fairings. It took heating to bow out the fairing plastic where needed, and then a little dremel tool carving.

btw - The KLR is getting a set of incredibly loud horns off a Volvo that're great & the set cost $6 from the junkyard. No way they'd fit the FJR though.

Mounted them high, by removing the stock horn bracket altogether. Put a rubber o-ring on the back side of the PIAA bracket, to help with any vibration issues. I did swing them out slightly, from what is shown in the pic, to avoid any interference. Tools needed are a 10mm box/open end wrench, for the nut behind the stock horn, and a 4mm allen wrench, to remove/replace the horn bracket. The pink wire is ground, and the brown (tan) wire is hot.
Thanks for the tip!
+1...I just mounted the 500/600 set from Amazon for $38 and they are a huge improvement. I took off the left side fairing (partly for other reasons) but didn't need to at all. Took under an hour (with the left side fairing). My hardest problem was getting the top bolts out without striping the 4mm allen head-damn they were tight. No rewiring just plug & play.

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the setup Jeff described over at GFran's the other day. My horns were the standard "Freeway Blasters" from Auto Zone or someplace--high and low, and with the FJRandy harness. Gary told me he'd mounted a single PIAA "high tone" horn like Jeff described and left one of the stockers in place. We compared horn notes, and his was MUCH louder. I'm thinking the next time I have another good reason to pull the fairing, I'm putting in one of those babies too.

Just compared a set of Freeway Blasters what's on my FJR and the loudness of mine were just a touch better.

My horns cost $3 each, came off a freshly wrecked S40 Volvo at the local U-Pickem salvage yard, & make folks jump.

Just received my Piaa 500/600hz horns today. I want to make sure that the amp draw is kosher before installation. They draw 4 amps each for a total of 8 amps, correct? How much do the stockers draw per horn? I understand that others have installed these without any issues but would like to know if and how much more amps the Piaa draw than the stockers.

The lazy and frugal side of me is luvin the idea of plug and play.

Just received my Piaa 500/600hz horns today. I want to make sure that the amp draw is kosher before installation. They draw 4 amps each for a total of 8 amps, correct? How much do the stockers draw per horn? I understand that others have installed these without any issues but would like to know if and how much more amps the Piaa draw than the stockers.
The lazy and frugal side of me is luvin the idea of plug and play.
Surprised how many asked the same question in this thread, that was already answered in Post 7

I just got mine tonight and was looking to be sure of current draw.

Gonna mount high, and Plug and Pray...................

Haulinashe installed one PIAA horn and left the other stock so I got confused when they were mixed and matched. Also when discussing the draw of the horn(s) it wasn't clear to me if it was one horn or total draw of both combined. After reading post 7 again, it does appear that each PIAA horn draws less amps than each stock horn.

Haulinashe installed one PIAA horn and left the other stock so I got confused when they were mixed and matched. Also when discussing the draw of the horn(s) it wasn't clear to me if it was one horn or total draw of both combined. After reading post 7 again, it does appear that each PIAA horn draws less amps than each stock horn.
So how do they sound to you? I've got these on my two bikes and sound and work great. BTW, did you get the pics in the email of my fabricated highway pegs on the 905 bars?

doctorj

I installed two marine horns that look very close to the piaas listed here. I don't have any pictures, but I invite anyone interested at the SW-FOG to check them out. They are stainless steel that will never rust and they seem loud and do not seem to draw any more power than the stock. Sound like a Tug Boat fog horn. Water sure won't hurt them. Took me thirty minutes to install using stock mounts, hardware and wiring.

Anybody remember Magnum Blasters? Mine fit without cutting anything on my '04. Put 'em in with an FJRandy harness/relay and have had zero problems. Thanks, all, for this thread, anyway 'cause it's been filed for the next bike....whenever that may be. Loud horns save lives.

Sweet! Thanks for the write ups and photo's. 500/600's ordered thru Amazon.
I got to stop reading your posts, I can't afford you!

In my farkel thread you said I needed these so I listened to you.

I guess I did, put them on today and they are very nice, and loud.

I needed to extend the left side ground wire but no issue at all with fit.

Did I mention they are loud?

Also on my 10 there are no second choices for mounting holes. at least I could find. No need other then extending ground. I also replaced the anemic fastener with a 10mm bolt head as I could see those stock screws being a problem down the line.

Nice, pretty painless upgrade.

yes, for the same $$$, you can "properly" install a $35 stebel compact air horn with a $30 Eastern Beaver single horn harness

To me properly installed isn't hanging on the side of the bike. This defeats the purpose of the frame sliders in the event of a tip over.

yes, for the same $$$, you can "properly" install a $35 stebel compact air horn with a $30 Eastern Beaver single horn harness

To me properly installed isn't hanging on the side of the bike. This defeats the purpose of the frame sliders in the event of a tip over.

WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!!! Did anyone tell Mike (Patriot)????

Painless 10-15 min install - one of the greatest cheapest upgrades - tossed my old horn right into the garbage within 30 seconds of hearing the new PIAA's 500- 600.

Well worth the money !!

I prefer the 2 PIAA's comapred to the Stebel I had on my VStrom. Not to mention the PIAA install IS as simple as plug and play.

I take it you don't care for Patriot's 130dB slider? :unsure:

Sweet! Thanks for the write ups and photo's. 500/600's ordered thru Amazon.
I got to stop reading your posts, I can't afford you!

In my farkel thread you said I needed these so I listened to you.

I guess I did, put them on today and they are very nice, and loud.

I needed to extend the left side ground wire but no issue at all with fit.

Did I mention they are loud?

Also on my 10 there are no second choices for mounting holes. at least I could find. No need other then extending ground. I also replaced the anemic fastener with a 10mm bolt head as I could see those stock screws being a problem down the line.

Nice, pretty painless upgrade.
I saw you had all the tupperware off, and you did ask! :unsure:

The 10mm nut was on the back of the OEM horn? How about the (IIRC) 4mm hex bracket about 1.5 inches above the OEM horn.I fastened the PIAA in that location.

I need to go back in and change the mounting bolt and add some rubber washers to dampen vibration. I would prefer to lock nut the back of that bolt, but I don't think there is enough clearance.

Any suggestions?

The single slimline sports horn works great and clears a superbrace whereas the duals interfere. As said before installation is a 15 minute job including scaring the cat out of the garage. No animals were permanently harmed in this installation. ;)

Latest posts