North to Alaska 2019 - Once there were Twenty now there are SIX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tentative plans to do this next summer with a local friend who rides a Goldwing. Pushing back to 2019 is possible. Like John, I don't tent camp any more so I'd need hotels each night and I'll be on the FJR.

Rendezvous in NW Montana, head up through Lake Louise, Banff, Icefields Parkway, make our way to Dawson Creek, up the ALCAN to Tok, on to Fairbanks, back down through Denali, to Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula, back on the Alcan, to Haines,Junction, to Haines, ferry to Skagway, out towards Whitehorse, South on the Cassiar Highway, Frazier River Canyon, Back into Estados Unidos somewhere East of Seattle. To be further refined over the next 20 months.

Could sign on for a segment, would be cool and it fits in with limited time away from home. See how my arthritis is by then.

The imprint of the KLR seat hasn't even left your fine derriere and your already planning another big trip up North. You are a riding machine. If I can find a good used buell, I might give it some thought.
jester.gif

Charlene and I did a similar route 7 years ago on the Harley,perfectly doable on the FJR or any bike for that matter.

I've done that route in a cage in January at -40 so a bike at + 40 or better would be fun.

It is definitely a trip I want to do but with maybe two other riders, not a herd. While large groups are fun at an FJR gathering, I couldn't possibly imagine coordinating (or participating) in a ride like that with more than 3 or 4 riders. Maybe with a staggered start over a few days with designated meet up in one or two places...? Sort of an informal rolling rally with multiple venues.

The imprint of the KLR seat hasn't even left your fine derriere and your already planning another big trip up North. You are a riding machine. If I can find a good used buell, I might give it some thought.
jester.gif
You ride a Buell and I will ride your Tenere.... deal?

It is definitely a trip I want to do but with maybe two other riders, not a herd. While large groups are fun at an FJR gathering, I couldn't possibly imagine coordinating (or participating) in a ride like that with more than 3 or 4 riders. Maybe with a staggered start over a few days with designated meet up in one or two places...? Sort of an informal rolling rally with multiple venues.
I did about half the trip with a dozen riders and we never all rode together. Natural groups of 2-4 seem to form after a day and every day turns into a destination ride. Its easy to hook up at the end of the day because the towns are long distances apart and small.

I did about half the trip with a dozen riders and we never all rode together. Natural groups of 2-4 seem to form after a day and every day turns into a destination ride. Its easy to hook up at the end of the day because the towns are long distances apart and small.
This is kind of how I envision it happening, there are earlybirds, late sleepers, those that stop at every lookout, those that stop for every sticky roll, some have to have frequent coffee, some have to get rid of coffee. I'm to old to "Herd Cats". My thoughts are a common Hotel each evening, dinner as small groups. I would try to arrange the nightly stopping points. I'd intentionally keep the rides South of 400 miles per day and try for not much more than 300 mpd to enable tourism. Just my thoughts at this point.

This is kind of how I envision it happening, there are earlybirds, late sleepers, those that stop at every lookout, those that stop for every sticky roll, some have to have frequent coffee, some have to get rid of coffee. I'm to old to "Herd Cats". My thoughts are a common Hotel each evening, dinner as small groups. I would try to arrange the nightly stopping points. I'd intentionally keep the rides South of 400 miles per day and try for not much more than 300 mpd to enable tourism. Just my thoughts at this point.
This sounds perfect, John! However, I'm good with 400-500 miles per day unless there is something specific to gawk at. Regardless, this is sounding like a great ride!

I really doubt you'll get a whole "herd" of riders anyway, riders drop out the closer the event gets...but I'm still in. :)

I really doubt you'll get a whole "herd" of riders anyway, riders drop out the closer the event gets...but I'm still in.
smile.png
I don't care whether it is 2, 5, 10 or 20.

I'm going, sounds like Festar is coming too.

All are welcome. As we get closer I'll figure the exact route, arrange the overnight locations and publish here.

I fully recognize some that are "In" will drop "Out" and some will join at the last minute.

I'll reserve blocks of rooms to fit the group.

We just returned. Left Tenn on June 7th and returned a week and a half ago. Second trip for myself and first for my wife. Plan on taking heated gear if you leave that early. Days were in the 70's and nights into the low 50's and upper 40's. Bring long johns if you camp. We used them for the first two weeks until it started to warm up a bit. Similar experience when I did the ride in 2014. Have fun and good luck on the ride. It is a trip of a lifetime that should be on everyones bucket list.
I'm bringing a bigJohn instead of long johns.

I don't care if nobody else thinks that's funny… I'm laughing!

I'll follow-up my "interested" comment with this;

Should I take the tried & true FJR or will this be the reason I add a KLR or zuki 650 to my collection??? If I add, oh the farkles I'll need to consider.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.