Pretty upset ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicks dig scars!!
flirt.gif

Upset? You wanna know upset?

Several years ago, ( seems like a lifetime ) I was on my

way home from the dealer on my first brand new bike

when a parked car pulled out to make a U-turn

right in front of me.

I impacted the drivers door at about 50MPH.

Insurance company totaled the bike with only 12 miles on it.

You might say I was upset.

"multiple slow tip-overs during the two days of riding"

Really? This is your norm? Sorry, but that does not sound right to me. I would not recommend you take up sky diving.

"multiple slow tip-overs during the two days of riding"Really? This is your norm? Sorry, but that does not sound right to me. I would not recommend you take up sky diving.
You need to understand the training.

It's the same training police officers receive, the same patterns, same techniques, taught by a mounted officer who trains & certifies other police officers from jurisdictions all over NA.

Sure, I can do all the patterns without dropping the bike; but, in my mind, that's not why I'm there. I can handle the bike. I just prefer to really push myself during these exercises to learn the limits of the bike and my skill while trying to improve my skill and technique. I push tighter and tighter patterns, sometimes trying to go as slowly as possible, others with a little more speed.

Try this, go to an empty parking lot, lock the bars at 90 degrees, now take off smoothly from that position without allowing the handlebars to straighten until you've pulled away. Dollars to donuts, unless you have practiced this maneuver, you will allow the bars to come unlocked before you pull away on the bike. Now continually practice this maneuver, both left and right turns. I'm pretty sure you too will experience a slow tip-over before you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of us have done something similar. Battle scars show you're riding the thing. Sorry to hear of the incident. Welcome to the ever growing dropped bike club! Lesson learned.

I'm very particular about my bikes being 'pristine', but no matter what you do this is going to happen sooner or later. You hope that it's later so you don't have to worry about it, but you just never know. I have finally learned this is the case with any vehicle you own, be it car or bike, and though I'm better about it I really hate it. My saying has always been 'You don't have a fender-bender on a bike' - when it falls, it falls and damage will be done. Gravel roads, tippy-toeing on a heavy bike (especially one as top-heavy as the FJR), getting cut-off in a parking lot at the Convention Center at the DFW Progressive IMS and them taking your parking spot; then misjudging the sharp corner going left (having to stop with your forks crooked and no room to go forward on the uphill slope while you already tippy-toe when sitting on the FJR); then ever-so-slowly-lay-it-down-and-then-finally-giving-up-the-good-fight just to have it drop and hear the blood-curdling sound of the left mirror crunch while the engine revs up one more time because you were still hanging onto it and your palm was resting on the cramp-buster...in front of ALL THOSE MOTORCYCLISTS parking in the ONE parking lot that you can park for FREE!!! Feeling like a rookie when you've been riding since the early 80's sucks.

See, now that's embarrassing for sure. Not only that but that dude that cut you off that caused this in the first place, he's the first guy to help you get the bike back up...LMAO

Trust me, I was NOT happy that day. Hope that makes you feel better.

A riding buddy of mine had a good idea about 35 years ago. Bring your new (to you, anyway) pristine bike home. Wash it, wax it, detail it, sit down with a beverage and admire it. Maybe even take some pictures. Heck, serve hors d'ouevres if you want. Then walk over to the bike, and give it a gentle whack with a hammer. On the tank, or side cover, wherever. Just be sure to make a permanent, visible scar. There, you got that over with. Now ride and maintain the thing, and have fun with it.

Anyway, I feel your pain, and understand your frustration. We've all done it. Repair what you need to, and go ride the heck out of it. Good luck with your wonderful machine!

I have a long distance riding woman friend who upon purchasing a new bike, last 2 have been BMW R1200GS models, goes out into the parking lot and pushes the bike over off the sidestand before riding it the first time. She then makes sure SHE knows how to pick it up and just laughs it off. She figures eventually these things can happen so why not just get it over with on her own terms. I couldn't just bring myself to do that. She is also a MSF instructor who continually takes additional training courses to improve and maintain her skills.

Sorry to hear abut your Ooops. As several singer/songwriters have said "The First Cut is the Deepest".

So, for the last week I have felt like I have won the lottery having purchased a used 2015 literally in showroom condition with less than 3,500 km on it.
Every year to improve my skills I try to take a course taught by a police instructor. During the course I always push myself which results in multiple slow tip-overs during the two days of riding. In the past I haven't minded as I had an old bike and knew the damage was simply cosmetic. I have also felt that I needed to push myself to that point to learn to handle the bike.

This year I wanted to protect my pristine bike so the first accessory I purchased were canyon cages and saddle bag guards from MC Enterprise.

Living in Canada and purchasing these from the USA, I had them shipped to my son who attends school in MI. My plan was to ride down there Friday night, install them this morning & return. He didn't want me to do that, instead suggesting he would bring them home with him later this week. I reluctantly agreed.

I'm a daily rider. Use the bike to commute, run errands, ... Today I had some training in the morning for a group I volunteer with and was planning on doing some shopping afterwards and taking the long way home, enjoying the day and the ride.

Everything was fine until I was about an hour from home, late in the afternoon, after riding for most of the previous 3+ hours I decided to pull into an antique store. I wasn't paying close enough attention as I pulled off of the road into the gravel parking lot. I was going pretty slow; but, as I turned sharply to my right to enter a parking spot failed to realize I turned right into a hole in the parking lot & down she goes on her right side. ... I was devastated. ... so much for my showroom quality bike.

I rashed the mirror, scratched and damaged the lower right faring, scratched the right bag & broke the reflector. I know it's all cosmetic damage; but, clearly I'm devastated as here I am 9 hours later writing about it to get it off of my chest.

Was I being silly? No, I don't think so. Was I tired? I didn't think so; but, clearly wasn't paying 100% attention or it wouldn't have happened.

I know ... stuff happens ... just wish I could have kept her in showroom condition for more than a week ... I'll go cry myself to sleep now ... LOL
You can restore it to pristine. All is not lost.

First time I dropped my FJR I jumped around and cussed like a sailor. I almost threw my Shoei helmet. Recovered enough to throw my gloves instead. Was really pissed off.

Second time I dropped my FJR I picked it up and continued the ride.

RichDoyle posted: My bike wears its scars proudly
punk.gif
And they come from an incident just like you describe
fool.gif
My bike wears its scars proudly, too, and they came from SEVERAL incidents just like you describe.
weirdsmiley.gif

I just put on a bandaid and keep riding. Seriously, I really put a bandaid on the dent, hole, whatever. Great conversation starter.