Review of 2008 Harley Ultra-Classic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRichStrom

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So I have always been intrigued by the big Harley and have several friends with these plus the way I drive I now where come near the performance of the FJR.

So I tried and traded my 2007 FJR for a used 2008 Harley Ultra-Classic that had a back rest etc. So two weekends ago I went on a 400 mile ride and found that the teeth rattling shake never went away until the motor was over 3000 rpm (at idle I guess the motor is designed to shake like hell).

But the 2008 bike has the most unbelievable high ended gearing and even at 70 or 80 mph the 4th and 5th gear get the bike above 3000 rpm. At 80 mph the overdrive gear has the motor running at mostly 2500 rpm and after awhile the shaking through the foot pads and the back rest just about rattled my teeth uncomfortablly. Then comes the riding with the feet forward rather than having your feet underneath you, very different. And that nonsense about 40 - 53 mpg can go away. The bike still needs the six gallon tank to get anywhere near 200 miles without a fillup of premium.

So after six whole days of having a Harley I traded back for my old FJR (lost way to much money on that stunt) and learned my lesson the hard way. The FJR may have the darned ignition switch issues but the gearing and riding position for my 47 year old bones are much better :clapping:

So I should have posted this on dogpile Friday :dribble: to really get the full effect of my screw up by going to a Harley for six days, but I had to help at the local high school football game concessions.

Signed,

Going to stay with the FJR and found the other side isn't so great.

So I have always been intrigued by the big Harley and have several friends with these plus the way I drive I now where come near the performance of the FJR.
So I tried and traded my 2007 FJR for a used 2008 Harley Ultra-Classic that had a back rest etc. So two weekends ago I went on a 400 mile ride and found that the teeth rattling shake never went away until the motor was over 3000 rpm (at idle I guess the motor is designed to shake like hell).

But the 2008 bike has the most unbelievable high ended gearing and even at 70 or 80 mph the 4th and 5th gear get the bike above 3000 rpm. At 80 mph the overdrive gear has the motor running at mostly 2500 rpm and after awhile the shaking through the foot pads and the back rest just about rattled my teeth uncomfortablly. Then comes the riding with the feet forward rather than having your feet underneath you, very different. And that nonsense about 40 - 53 mpg can go away. The bike still needs the six gallon tank to get anywhere near 200 miles without a fillup of premium.

So after six whole days of having a Harley I traded back for my old FJR (lost way to much money on that stunt) and learned my lesson the hard way. The FJR may have the darned ignition switch issues but the gearing and riding position for my 47 year old bones are much better :clapping:

So I should have posted this on dogpile Friday :dribble: to really get the full effect of my screw up by going to a Harley for six days, but I had to help at the local high school football game concessions.

Signed,

Going to stay with the FJR and found the other side isn't so great.
I followed one down the Cherahola today and thought I was going to go nuts. Seemed like everytime I had a chance to pass something was coming the other way. Or the guy on the HD would start his corner early and end up at the centerline mid way. Maybe it was my morbid mind waiting to see him kiss a vehicle coming the other way. Glad he didn't.... really. Anyway, finally got some clear road and felt better. (nothing like following you gasportrider) :D

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
When I start thinkin' any Harley air-cooled is an attractive alternative, I'll just give up ridin'!

But thanks for confirming what I've believed for decades.

:unsure here's the deal. I had an FJR for two summers, an 06. This bike was absolutely, positively amazing and i loved every mile of the 13000 that I put on her. My wife simply would not ride on the back, so last spring she got sold (the bike, not the wife) to a new owner. I bought an 08 Ultra Classic, pacific blue and black in December of last year. I gotta tell you that this bike is not an FJR but after 10,000 miles I am starting to love her just as much. Marti and I went on a 2500 mile trip from Oregon to Yellowstone and the Teton's this summer and took the "hog" down the coast and to Crater Lake a couple of times. Gotta say that this bike is awesome! She doesn't have all of the power, with only 70 horse but the torque is adequate. The weight took some getting used to, especially cuz I only weigh 150 lbs but honestly, it doesn't feel any heavier than the FJR. It flicks through the corner and turns on a dime. I got the anti-lock brakes, it come standard with the stereo and cd, has great speakers and the headsets in our helmets with voice actuated mics allow us to talk when we want to. I have bought about a grand worth of "chrome" stuff to pretty her up a bit but really would have been happy with her stock. This bike always gets seen and cars simply notice me more than when I was riding the FJR. I always have people telling me how "beautiful" she is and the truth is that old American Iron is "very cool" as far as i am concerned. I loved my Yamaha and miss her but if I had to choose between the HD and the Yamaha, I would have the Harley, plain and simple. The v-twin, thump-thump is classic, cool and all American. It makes me proud that I have a bit of American history parked in my garage and Marti loves going with me at the drop of the hat. Cruising down the road is effortless, the cruise control is just like my Lexus and the comfort and ergo's are perfect for my 5'9" frame. You are sheltered from the wind, rain and shit flying off of the cars around you and at the end of the day every minute is a pleasure. I respect all "two-wheelers" and think that everyone who rides a bike is a kindred spirit of mine and deserves to be recognized for being such. Trashing harley riders, crotch rocket squids or rice burners is simply bullshit! Ride safe my friends and maybe we will pass each other or maybe have few minutes together at some time. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Trashing harley riders, crotch rocket squids or rice burners is simply bullshit!
So true. Even a moped can put a smile on my face but I wouldn't really want my friends to see me.

I will add that I rode to the bay area last weekend with my friend and his gal, him on an HD Ultra and her on a VTX1800. We were constantly waiting for him and in the stop and go traffic thru the city he thought his Ultra was going to catch fire. Had to change the oil the next day.

A few of my good friends ride Harleys, and I'm the odd man out. I've had a love for rice burners and euro bikes for decades.

I honestly don't care what anyone else rides. The comment the H-D guys make to me is "It looks like you've still got the need for speed." I think they're right. I am still in the mode of wanting that big time adrenaline rush when I twist the right wrist.

Then there is the fact that although I love my wife of 33+ years, I don't want to take her on the bike. I've always felt like riding two up was sort of like a decaf at Starbucks, i.e., "what's the point?" I know the point is that folks like to share their ride with their spouses.... but I do not want to do this. I ride as an escape. The freedom to carve the roads up and down the Cumberland Plateau, and the freedom to make 100+ mph bursts out on I-40, are why I'm riding. I used to do a lot of hunting. I didn't want to take my wife to the tree stand either. That doesn't mean I don't love my wife. It just means that there are some things that I need to do by myself. Getting away from the stress of a high pressure job is sometimes best done by ones self.

So as for the guys who choose to ride H-D's, or the guys who choose to ride bikes in a big pack, or the guys who ride two up when they tour, I say "go for it." I won't be going along myself, but you should do whatever you're called to do. I guess when you get right down to it, I'm blessed with a wife who is an incredibly good sport. And the bike is about freedom... even as I always subscribe to ATGATT while I seek the freedom.

:unsure here's the deal. I had an FJR for two summers, an 06. This bike was absolutely, positively amazing and i loved every mile of the 13000 that I put on her. My wife simply would not ride on the back, so last spring she got sold (the bike, not the wife) to a new owner. I bought an 08 Ultra Classic, pacific blue and black in December of last year. I gotta tell you that this bike is not an FJR but after 10,000 miles I am starting to love her just as much. Marti and I went on a 2500 mile trip from Oregon to Yellowstone and the Teton's this summer and took the "hog" down the coast and to Crater Lake a couple of times. Gotta say that this bike is awesome! She doesn't have all of the power, with only 70 horse but the torque is adequate. The weight took some getting used to, especially cuz I only weigh 150 lbs but honestly, it doesn't feel any heavier than the FJR. It flicks through the corner and turns on a dime. I got the anti-lock brakes, it come standard with the stereo and cd, has great speakers and the headsets in our helmets with voice actuated mics allow us to talk when we want to. I have bought about a grand worth of "chrome" stuff to pretty her up a bit but really would have been happy with her stock. This bike always gets seen and cars simply notice me more than when I was riding the FJR. I always have people telling me how "beautiful" she is and the truth is that old American Iron is "very cool" as far as i am concerned. I loved my Yamaha and miss her but if I had to choose between the HD and the Yamaha, I would have the Harley, plain and simple. The v-twin, thump-thump is classic, cool and all American. It makes me proud that I have a bit of American history parked in my garage and Marti loves going with me at the drop of the hat. Cruising down the road is effortless, the cruise control is just like my Lexus and the comfort and ergo's are perfect for my 5'9" frame. You are sheltered from the wind, rain and shit flying off of the cars around you and at the end of the day every minute is a pleasure. I respect all "two-wheelers" and think that everyone who rides a bike is a kindred spirit of mine and deserves to be recognized for being such. Trashing harley riders, crotch rocket squids or rice burners is simply bullshit! Ride safe my friends and maybe we will pass each other or maybe have few minutes together at some time. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
I agree whole heartedly. I have both the FJR and 2 Harleys in my garage. When I have a need for speed, I jump on the FJR. When I want to sit back and smell the roses, the Harley comes out. I ride each of them equally, just turned 20K on the Road Glide. Just got the FJR a couple of months ago, but the mileage is coming up. The bottom line, there are differnt types of riders and different types of bikes. Each one has its own place.

I will be the first to admit, that there are morons out there who ride Harleys but that can be said for ALL other brands. I do find it quite amazing how people (Americans) can regulary bash an American Icon. I will also tell you that on the other Harley oriented forums that I frequent, they do not WASTE their time BASHING about the other brands.

I just not a big fan of HD's V-Twins. I don't like the heavy clutch, locomotive sounding shifting and the lack of power. The dollar value does not make me excited either. My 2nd bike as a kid was a '72 chopped Sportster, it was a lot of fun. I have no problem with what anyone rides, it is all about choice, just enjoy your ride. I am just happy to be able to ride!

Interesting reading. I find myself relating to most all of the comments. I ride with many different makes and models, but my closest riding group is ALL Harley's (2 Ultra's, 1 Deuce). They don't diss my FJR and I don't diss their Harley's. Last June while in New Hampshire for the Laconia Rally, I test rode an Ultra Classic. I was pleasantly surprised with it. The torque was quite pleasant, and there was something about having all that mass around me. The radio was fantastic and cruise control.....well, just plain nice.

I find myself holding back on the FJR while riding with my Harley buds. They are just cruising, and that's hard to do on the FJR. If the economy turns around, my plans for the future is to purchase an Ultra Classic in 2010 (50th birthday present for me). That way, I can cruise right along with my Harley buds when needed. But, no way will I get rid of my FJR. I will always have a need for speed and just plain fun, which it will fill the bill for me.

So, I look forward to having both in my stable. The 2009 Ultra Classic is getting really good reviews with changes that Harley has made.

Smoke

I have had two HDs in the past and rode them for a total of 15K miles. I had a 2000 Road King and a 2004 Ultra Classic. Engines and handlebars are rubber mounted on those models, the FLs, so they shake a lot when they are started, when idling, and when you stop at traffic lights. Very annoying. They smooth out a little when you get underway. But inherent vibrations were always present. The RK had less vibration than the Ultra. A lot of people pay lots of money for those vibrations. The vibration is the main reason (others being ergonomics, handling, balance, performance, freaking noise, pack mentality, etc) I left the brand . Overheataing in heavy stop and go traffic is also something the HD's often do. But if a person rides to be part of a "lifestyle" or to mimic some kind of "image", then maybe the Milwaukee bikes are the way to go for that person...especially if the person does not care about modern design and materials, performance, value, etc.

The HDs were just OK for the short run, but I must say I've been there, done that, and won't be back...you can take that shit to the bank! The sport touring platform is where I've really always wanted to be and where I know I belong. It's so nice to be able to actually make out an image in the rear view mirrors at a stoplight!

Had you had performed some searches here before you traded, you might have saved yourself some money and time...but at lease now you know with first-hand experience...and... Welcome back!

:assassin: :assassin: :assassin:

it's nice to hear that you guys didn't actually trash me for my entry and I appreciate that! At the end of the day I am ecstatic to be a "rider" and really don't give a rip about what anyone rides. There are so many choice and seriously if i had lots of money I would have at least one of everything. I'm curious about the Victory, the Beemer and a Ducati but funds for scooters are limited, I'm buckin' 55, and i must be careful about what I spend my money on at this time. The big deal is that my bride of 25 years is behind me, holding my waist and enjoying all of the beauty, the air and all of the scents that come and go and the simple fact that we are not in the cage. I love the world on the back of my "motorized milk stool" as my best pal refers to it and i hope that I can continue to ride for many years before the old bones will no longer have the ability to hold up this machine. To you, my two wheel brothers and sisters, I wish you all well and hope that you find the joy of being able to enjoy the world in 360 delights you that same way it does me. Take care and keep the shiny parts up, K?

terry :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

So after six whole days of having a Harley I traded back for my old FJR (lost way to much money on that stunt) and learned my lesson the hard way.
Hilarious.

Sorry you learned the hard way. I learned this, growing up with Harleys. Don't feel bad (except about the money) - everyone makes mistakes. Happy to hear you rectified yours.

She doesn't have all of the power, with only 70 horse but the torque is adequate.
Do yourself a favor, and don't have that puppy dyno'ed. I see Hardleys dyno'ed at a pal's bike shop, and the reaction of the owners to their actual HP is often real entertaining.

The problem that HD is having with the 07's and 08's is the run out on the crankshaft. Mine they measured out at .008". Which is unbelievable. They have raised there specs now all the way up to .012". That's why it's vibrating. Some cranks are good, others are bad. Never buy a new one until you run it.

From what i have read they revamped the big toures . Harley revamped the frame added another mount in the engine , moved one pipe so it not so good dam hot also thers a thingeeee when you are not moving spmething kicks in to make the pipes cooler something like that . Also a larger tirer on the rear and dont hold me to it a18 in the front to a 17 . God dam it how long did it take them 60 years to do something to the frame .

From what i have read they revamped the big toures . Harley revamped the frame added another mount in the engine , moved one pipe so it not so good dam hot also thers a thingeeee when you are not moving spmething kicks in to make the pipes cooler something like that . Also a larger tirer on the rear and dont hold me to it a18 in the front to a 17 . God dam it how long did it take them 60 years to do something to the frame .
Actually, it has been 12 years since the frame has been modified. It was introduced in 1980 as the Tour Glide, similar to the current Road Glide.

I have a Road Glide and an FJR, I love 'em both but you guys that think the Harleys vibrate and FJRs don't are in denial. It's a different vibraton but it sure is there.

DC

Well spoken different bikes are made for different purposes/riding styles I rode an 08 1200R Sportster,06 FJR and 02 R1150 BMW and liked the beemer the best for my style of riding-the FJR was a close second and the Harley was first choice for short trips. I liked the Harley for the reasons you stated and found it to be an excellent well made dependable bike with good power designed for short local trips.That being said I expect to purchase the next updated FJR model. I have friends that ride all models of bikes and I could care less what they ride. The fact we ride and enjoy doing it is whats important

I have had 7 HD baggers and loved them all, but once I discovered the DL1000 V-Strom and our FJR1300

that was all she wrote.

Yes, the HD Chromed Riding Lawn Mower is pretty and comfy but it is like having a Trophy Wife with no gentials.

All show and no go.

I got pissed off once and for all at the dealers in 04 and Little Pirate syndrome and took my first DL1000

for a ride that has become the "best" MC in my 35 years of riding. In between I also owned another new BMW K1200.

We love the FJR and will be getting a new/used 08 or new 09 when we come across a winter deal.