Riding motorcycle with child

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If were sharing stories ...

Whiile visiting a childhood friend in SC, his ten-year-old daughter asked for a ride. I looked to her mother for permission (absolutely convinced shed say NO!) who said yes.

She wore my helmet, I went without (SC), insisted she lock her arms around my large waist, and stayed below 20 mph on our 60-second ride around the block. Lean angles less than 10 degrees.

Never been as relieved as when both her feet were securely on the ground again.

She was ten, however; not four. (Mom went for a ride, too, but she was 45 or so. No big deal.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Francis here. Pointing out that you rode with your dad or your child rode with you is similar to bragging that you smoked for 30 years and did not get lung cancer.... yet.
Should the worst happen and your son be seriously injured or killed participating in what we all acknowledge is risky behavior it would likely destroy your family. My opinion and most assuredly it will be discounted. I wish your child luck.
My child is 33 now, and is currently riding a '16 Versys 650...but thanks for the good luck wishing.
smile.png

I'd have to agree it's not a good idea. However, I believe it be safer for the child to be sitting in front of you instead of behind. Eons ago, I met a guy that rode with his son. (Oddly on a Bonneville ;) ) He had attached footpegs to the frame under the gas tank, and fashioned a rail that wrapped around the top of the tank for something the young boy could hold onto (like a tiny set of handlebars for him) The kid looked pretty comfortable there.

His thinking, which echos mine, is if the bike goes down, he could wrap his arms around his son to shield him better from impact than leaving him on his own sitting behind him.

I think this at least would be safer for the child. A "child seat" on the back would trap the child to the bike, not a good thing.

I'd have to agree it's not a good idea. However, I believe it be safer for the child to be sitting in front of you instead of behind. Eons ago, I met a guy that rode with his son. (Oddly on a Bonneville
wink.png
) He had attached footpegs to the frame under the gas tank, and fashioned a rail that wrapped around the top of the tank for something the young boy could hold onto (like a tiny set of handlebars for him) The kid looked pretty comfortable there.His thinking, which echos mine, is if the bike goes down, he could wrap his arms around his son to shield him better from impact than leaving him on his own sitting behind him.

I think this at least would be safer for the child. A "child seat" on the back would trap the child to the bike, not a good thing.
I've been resisting replying here but KM brings up a good point above. The idea of being strapped into something is so that you're not flung around. Cars are designed to withstand crashes as best as possible. Seat belts and infant car seats are intended to keep a body secure allowing the vehicle to absorb impacts and protect the occupants. Anyone who's in the rescue business knows first hand how unrestrained occupants get violently tossed around and possibly (partially?) ejected. Anyone who's attended a fair or similar event might have seen a demonstration of a police department's roll-over simulator which makes the point emphatically. And while a natural, well intentioned reaction, does anyone believe a car driver reaching across with his or her arm to protect the unbelted front seat passenger is really going to do anything during a crash?

All this is moot when talking about motorcycles. There is nothing that a motorcycle offers by way of impact absorption or crash protection for its occupants. Whether you stay secure on the bike or not is sort of irrelevant here. Either way you are being "ejected" onto the roadway.

Finally the OP did not post with thoughts of taking his child on the occasional fun ride with his father but as a daily commuter in what I assume is a suburban or urban environment.

"i ride to work and it would be convenient for me to just put him on the bike and take him to childcare/school. It's only a couple of miles from home and it's all surface streets."

I waited until my daughter was 10 before I let her ride on the back. I wanted to make sure she fit in safety gear and somewhat understood the risk and what her role was as a passenger. I've told my son (7) that he also must wait until he's ten to ride with me.

Let a kid sit on a (cold) bike and make vroom vroom noises. It gives them a feel for freedom, but won't hurt them.

Wait a minute.... this is what I do for therapy on a cold winter day ! PMS be damned !
rolleyes.gif

I agree four is a bit young to be put on a motorcycle beyond a 5 mph ride around the yard. When my kids were that young, about half the time they nodded off on the ride home after a long play filled day at day care. At that age when sleep mode overrides all other systems, they go out like a light. No way will you realize that fast enough to prevent them from falling off. And don't think about strapping anything other than luggage to a bike. Bikes usually flip at some point in an accident and the thought of someone strapped to a bike if that happens puts my knot in my stomach.

Just because you can reach the gas peddle of a car at ten doesn't mean the person can drive a car in traffic. There is a certain amount of self awareness and coordination that is needed when even just being a passenger on a motorcycle. At four those skills aren't there yet. If your kid isn't riding dirt bikes at five or six, wait until they are eight or ten before exposing them to what you/we love so much.

They do make various harnesses to tether a child to the rider. That will at least keep the child from sliding off the back. Look at third world countries. You've got a family of 5 riding on a bike, along with a chicken or goat strapped to it. Not making a joke here. We here in the states get to worked up about stuff. This is a very polarizing topic. Personally, I would not take a four year old. My son was 7 when I began taking him on short rides. With controlled speeds of 35mph and under. It's a risk whatever you choose. Good luck with your decision.

My kiddo is 8. I'd love to take her on rides, but I don't. I don't trust the unknown variables, my fellow California motorists, the busy roads, etc. Maybe nothing would ever happen. But if it did I'd feel so awful I wouldn't be able to live with it.

I might let her ride with me when she is a little older; maybe as a teen. I'd rather it be on my bike than someone else's. I have an acquaintance whose sister rode with her squidlet boyfriend, typical cute-girl-riding outfit by the sounds of things. Long story short; he wrecked, she lost limbs and it was a life and death battle for months. I educate the heck out of my girl that these things are dangerous and to not jump on some idiot's bike when she gets older. Sometimes I jokingly ask if she wants to go for a ride and she answers "no; you wouldn't let me anyway"! If I lived in a rural area, going for a little scoot around might be different.

But as far as I can tell, Francis got it right. To put your trusting kid who has no appreciation for the risk and hardly the mental and physical capacity to even do what he's supposed to do to be somewhat safe onto the bike is pretty much unconscionable.

I'll mostly save the spiel. Probably we've all done a bit of risk taking. I've been on the back of bikes when I was young. I rode on the hood of my grandfathers lawn tractor, on the bow of boats, etc. Nothing happened, but it could have. I even rode my nephew around the neighborhood for a little ride when I was younger and more foolish and he was not much older than OP's child. But it was a stupid, dumb, stupid idea then. And so is this.
biggrin.png

I've chimed in on this topic at least 3 times over the years and every time someone ends up POed.

Riding safety isn't completely in the hands of the rider/operator. There are factors outside of the rider's control. A child (or pet) cannot understand all these things to make a reasonable consent (the same reason kids can't enter into binding legal contracts). Because of that, there's no way they can make the judgement call that an adult can about riding on a bike. Shit happens. When/If it does, then the rider will be living with that for the rest of their lives.

I even remember straps and handles that tie the kid to the adult. Those I see as a variation of an air bag (water bag?) for the adult who could then use the kid as a crumple zone.

Pets and kids on bikes? Nope. Not in my book.

A small mini-bike on private property (dirt) with adult supervision is something I would consider for kids with full gear.

I guess my thought here can be boiled down to this....

Would you ride without a helmet? If so, you're likely not concerned much about "risks" and would not be concerned over having a small child ride with you.

If you'd NEVER ride without a helmet and gear, then you likely understand the risks involved and would never have your child ride with you. (At least until they are old enough to understand those risks themselves and have all the properly fitting gear)

So as always, (and still abiding to your local laws) it's a matter of choice.

Well i told my granddaughter when she can reach the passenger pegs she can ride. Well she is seven and now can reach the pegs. So when the weather gets warm enough off we will go..

Damianomigani,

Good topic which brought a lot of comments. Keep in mind that you are asking a forum of motorcycle enthusiasts concerning a social issue, and of course our bias comes out. 😀

Step back a little bit and have another look at this. Most grammar schools in large cities like San Diago will have neighbourhood streets around them, which have heavy stop and go traffic and lots of young kid pedestrians in the mix. There is a lot going on to be aware of when on a motorcycle. Most everybody there do not ride and have no clue, nor do they care about our passion. Lets add weather in this equation, unruly kids in the back seat, and the mundane repedative nature of this daily ritual, and you will have people out there not in their most attentive state. Thats one reason why traffic tickets are issued there. To be honest, I avoid situations such as these like the plague.

Now put yourself in the place of a soccer mom dropping off her youngest for kindergarten, or Grandma walking her grandchildren to school. Up comes a guy on a motorcycle with his 4 year old on the back. Of course he has to stay in line until he reaches the designated drop off location, no lane splitting here. He stops the bike, puts it on side stand, and helps his VERY YOUNG CHILD off the seat, removes the kids helmet, takes the heavy jacket off (which accentuates just how small and young that child is), and says good bye as he scoots him on his way. That cant be viewed in a good light in Grandmas eyes. In their minds you have endangered that preschoolers life, and somebody will say something to the authorities about it - guaranteed!

The convenience you may enjoy for a few days, or a week or so, will pale in comparison to the nightmare of trying to keep your family together when Child Protective Services comes knocking on your door.

Keep that in mind.

When you have a family, all of the sudden you have to realise... Its not all about you! If necessary, get yourself a car and join the crowd for a few years for your commute, until your child gets a bit bigger.

Just my thoughts.

Brodie

😉