Riding motorcycle with child

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
help.gif

By the way, Ive got fond memories of being on the back seat of daddys triumph tiger, and going for rides in and around the back roads of Lake Elsinore back in the mid 60s. That was a different era back then.

Brodie

😉

Last edited by a moderator:
Brodie, thanks for your concern. I hear your point.

I'd like to stress out that i am planning on acting in full respect of current laws, which state that the only condition for a child to ride as a passenger is to touch the footpegs. As long as this condition is met (one way or another) then i see no legal issue. The law is clear and warrants no interpretation.
Child protection services and the grandmas of San Diego can sleep tight (PS i live in the Bay Area now)!
Having said this i think i'll stop a police officer one of these days and ask his opinion. I can't be the first and only one wanting to do this.
Will report back

PS this is us touring parts of Vietnam two years ago on a rented motorcycle. It was his first time on two wheels. He was just over 1 year old, and no helmet would fit him. I don't know how many thousand other families on motorcycles, often with two or more kids we saw on that holiday. Just saying that we can get very stuck up on obsessive safety in this country for certain things, and let other things way more dangerous slide.. (and i'll leave it at that)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rykw3lengqg8rli/Capture.JPG?dl=0
Capture.JPG

<<snip>> ...
PS this is us touring parts of Vietnam two years ago on a rented motorcycle. It was his first time on two wheels. He was just over 1 year old, and no helmet would fit him. I don't know how many thousand other families on motorcycles, often with two or more kids we saw on that holiday. Just saying that we can get very stuck up on obsessive safety in this country for certain things, and let other things way more dangerous slide.. (and i'll leave it at that)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rykw3lengqg8rli/Capture.JPG?dl=0

Capture.JPG
Correct observation about the obsessive "safety" thought processes in this country. If my parents were that obsessed when I was a child, I would never had become a PADI certified scuba diver, or a licensed private pilot, or a licensed sky diver, and definitely would never have logged over a million documented motorcycle miles.

Good luck with all your bike endeavors.
bike.gif

I think taking a 4 year old on a bike ranks up there with one of the most irresponsible things I have ever heard proposed. Just stitch some velcro to the kids pants, the other side to the pillion pad and have at it. According to Russ Brown, motorcycle attorney,

Home

Blog

Six California Motorcycle Laws You Need to Know

Six California Motorcycle Laws You Need to Know

DECEMBER 22, 2015

BY BAM CONTRIBUTOR

CALIFORNIA, LEGAL ADVICE, MOTORCYCLE LAW, MOTORCYCLE LAWYER, MOTORCYCLE NEWS, MOTORCYCLE SAFETY

Though the sense of freedom on the open road is what draws so many of us to motorcycles, it is important to understand and follow California motorcycle laws. Responsible riding can help you avoid traffic citations and fines, but more importantly, seriously reduce your risk of getting into a motorcycle accident. Here are six California motorcycle laws you need to know, from the Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyers at Russ Brown Motorcycle Attorneys: There is no specific age specified in the California Vehicle Code regarding when a minor can begin riding as a motorcycle passenger. However, the California laws require that all passengers must have a seat securely fastened to the machine at the rear of the driver and (be) provided with footrests. The law continues to state that every passengershall keep his feet on the footrests while such vehicle is in motion. To ensure safety and compliance with the law, some motorcyclists have had footrests moved to fit the height of their child or have purchased a special seat for children with built-in footrests. Beyond the law, it is important to educate your passengers on the fundamentals of leaning and riding as a team.

My daughter recently turned 5 (texas is one of several states with age requirements) and I'm going to start taking her on rides.

She has a PW50 and has ridden that for a couple years and been on every bike I've owned, but never more than 20 mph or around the block.

Living on a military base with very little traffic and speeds never more than 45 mph, i feel safe taking her out. I recently modded my bike with some nice pegs that mount a few inches higher than the stock passenger pegs. She can easily reach now and with sides and trunk, will have no problems staying on.

I'm not one to question anybody on how they raise their kid, and encourage them all to be on a bike at some point in time.