RIP Beemerdons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just talking with Doug/bugnatr and we came up with an idea to make a laminated photo of Don that can be sent around to the different gatherings that he was planning on attending next year so he could be with us in some fashion. The Death Valley trip in February will be his first journey.

6247469765_cdd15c116b_z.jpg

I am very saddened to hear of Don's passing. Like many others I never got to meet him but felt that he was a great guy full of humor and wisdom. This is a lesson to the rest of us to live life to the fullest everyday because we are not guaranteed tomorrow.

Very sad news to hear my friend Don Stanley has died. I spoke with him not long ago, where he was planning a trip out to Havasu to his Condo that he owns here. I met Don almost immediately after buying my 2008 FJR, my first ride with him was with the AZBeemers to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Since that time, Don had become the cornerstone of the SW Forum members as I believe he had organized more ride and functions than anyone. That guy has traveled to more locations throughout the world than most anyone, much of the time with son Seth.
Don & I have traveled across the SW US on many occasions, mostly when it happened to be raining like crazy. During one of our conversations Don had told me of the time he was snorkeling in Hawaii when, while under water he suffered a heart attack and almost died. He said he had thought that day his time was up, but he was rescued and continued his zest for life and his love for motorcycles. Learning of the circumstances surrounding how Don's life had come to an end, it almost seems as though the reprieve he was given that day in Hawaii was called in for collection once again while snorkeling off the coast of Mexico. Don loved the water, perhaps this was the way things were meant to be.

Going over my collection of photos I have with my friend Don Stanley, this pic I am sharing was one of my favorite of he and I. I will greatly miss Don, we shared a lot of good times and many miles together.

Img_1190.jpg

I have not been that active on the forum lately and just learned from HotRodZilla of Don's passing. This has hit me like a ton of bricks. I had just spoken to Don about two weeks ago on the phone and we talked a bit about his upcoming shoulder surgery and hopes to be able to ride again.

Rather than dwell on the sadness of the moment I prefer to remember the fun moments we had at the CFR's, in the Alps and especially in Copper Canyon...

DSC_0079-L.jpg

Till we are able to share another margarita as the sun sets in Mexico my friend...

night-L.jpg

I love you, Don.

I've never known a better man.

My heart is broken.

Peace to you, Brother.

Here's a fucking poem.

The Parting Glass - Irish TraditionalOh all the time that e'er I spent,
I spent it in good company;
And any harm that e'er I've done,
I trust it was to none but me;
May those I've loved through all the years
Have memories now they'll e'er recall;
So fill me to the parting glass,
Goodnight, and joy be with you all.

Oh all the comrades that e'er I had,
Are sorry for my going away;
And all the loved ones that e'er I had
Would wish me one more day to stay.
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should leave and you should not,
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Goodnight, and joy be with you all.

Of all good times that e'er we shared,
I leave to you fond memory;
And for all the friendship that e'er we had
I ask you to remember me;
And when you sit and stories tell,
I'll be with you and help recall;
So fill to me the parting glass,
God bless, and joy be with you all.

Big D, thanks for the posts. It reminded me that of all of us here, Don likely racked up huge miles over the years, and many trips spent in the company of his son. That is a great comforting thought, and even more so knowing that he knew he had a second chance and made the most out of it.

Helped me to read that tonight.

I have not been active on the forum lately. Got a call from AJ about this sad news. I cannot write now as I am not able to see the key board. Loved you Don, my copper canyon roommate.

Oh damn. Never had the pleasure and honor of a RL meetup, but still I considered him a friend and a brother.

Condolences to his family and loved ones

The world is a bit colder today

awe, damn
haven't been here in awhile, but am very happy we followed each other along on facebook
a really good man who will be greatly missed
what else can one ask of oneself

Ouch.

Don and I have been bantering over the pond for years. Started off with him more or less threatening to set the IRA on to me just because I am English. After resorting to a PM session to keep the politics private, it all became light hearted. I never knew whether he was serious or just playing with me.

I'd always hoped to meet him on one of his jaunts to Europe, now that'll have to wait until my final journey comes.

My heartfelt condolences to his family.

It's an interesting modern phenomenon, these online forums; they bring together people who may never have meet in person, but become fast friends through their interactions. Don is such a person who makes an impersonal message board feel like home, and he definitely will be missed.

I've had the good fortune to have met him, and enjoyed his company on several occasions. I'm going to miss the gentleman.

He's in God's hands now.

Please keep us posted if there is going to be any kind of public memorial gathering for him, I want to be there.

Brodie

cray.gif

My bastard step-pappy from Hell is no more. His shoes will never, ever, be able to be filled, not to mention his man-thong.

My prayers go out to Seth and Donna.

I had the pleasure of meeting Don in Nakusp at CFR, and loved his banter on the Forum.

Salute Amigo.....

You will be missed.

Ms Donna and Seth, my prayers go out to you. He was a Good Man.

My thoughts are with Seth and Donna. I first met Don in Spain on a tour organised by Teerex and when I visited the USA Don was always kind enough to offer me a place to stay and the use of one of his bikes. I will miss this kind, gentle giant but I will always have the memories. RIP Don.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.