Road trip to Dallas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My turn

Reaction score
I'm planning to ride to Dallas in the fall, I'm looking for for the best route and places to stay during the the trip. Does anyone one have any experiences / suggestions for this trip.

I'll be doing virtually the same trip, opposite direction. I should be up in NE now on the bike if not for work throwing a wrench in my plans.

How many days or miles per day are you planning?

Yes I have done the trip or basically the trip a few years ago. I ended up in south florida. PM me and we can talk. A lot will have to do with your time table.

I'm planning to ride to Dallas in the fall, I'm looking for for the best route

and places to stay during the the trip.

Does anyone one have any experiences / suggestions for this trip.
Kind'a a value judgement -- there...? :huh:

Best for whom?

Mapping software will give you fastest, shortest, most scenic, etc.

I'd suggest: it's time for a theme -- do you have any special interests/hobbies that could be pursued along the way?

Many interesting themes can be woven into a cross-country ride to add interest. :)

If you have the time. . .

My son & I had a really nice ride in '02:

https://molaver.org/may02mc.htm

The start of it anyway will get you to Texas. From Connecticut we went south via the Blue Ridge Pkwy & including Clingman's Dome, the ever popular Deal's Gap and the Cherohala Skyway. Then we headed west. It will get you to Texas but there are a ton of really fine roads after you make that big right hander in North Carolina - all depends on how much time you want to spend.

In a hurry? It's one day for me to get to Atlanta but you miss some great riding along the way.

There is some fine riding in southern Missouri and northwest Arkansas that could be woven into a route. Highways 123, 23, and 7 are all candidates. Then work your way over to Mena, AR and ride the Talimena trail to Talihina, OK. I'd point you toward the two wheeled texans for discussion of routes and roads - www.twtex.com.

Let us know where in DFW you are heading and we can help you construct the fastest or motorcycle friendly route into town.

Besides North Carolina, you also should consider a route that can take you through the mountain portions of Western Maryland, West Virginia, Western Virginia, Eastern Tennessee and Northern Georgia. Of course, riding through all those areas can lead to you never getting to Texas :p If you're really stuck deciding where to hang for a day or two in the mountain twisties, you could plan one great route for the ride down and another for the ride back.

go ride the mountains. when you get to TX hop on a US highway and make up time. all our rodes are straight anyways unless you get down south or way out west.