Should I get a TBS done while I get my valves checked

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not terribly hard to do a TBS once the tank is up.

Buying your own tool, (I have a Morgan Carbtune) https://www.carbtune.com/ paid for itself after its first use. (extremly well designed/built, IMO)

Just checking the TBS (no adjustment) is a bit faster than an adjustment. Yamaha gives you 10mm's of variance between the cylinders. Checking valves, NO adjustment(no cam removal/re-timing, etc) is much faster than changing a shim..

*Please take note that after paying approx $125.00 for them (a Yamaha Dealership) to do a sync, I later found they DID Not adjust the air screw (as should have been), BUT the butterfly SHAFT sync screw (specifically noted in the FSM NOT to touch). I found this as the screw / spring has white paint on it from Yamaha which was broken and obviously moved 1/4 turn.

The problem (under warranty) could not be found at the dealership and I later found it(with the help of this forum) on my 2004 as it was an electrical connector under the fuel tank turned green..

My current FZ6(4 banger), I have them within 3 mm's (some very fine, and time consuming tuning) but runs super smooth and got rid of all the low speed ( up to 4K RPMS), very annoying, seat vibs.

Last edited by a moderator:
They may have 'gotten' you a little this time. Get estimate prior to work from now on and check it with another dealership, even if it's out of town or state. The time charged for specific work should be consistent amongst Yamaha certified tech's.