sleep

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have trained myself to breath through my nose, even though my mouth still feels like I am ready to spit cotton in the morning.
Strangely(?), the best cure for morning dry mouth is to brush my teeth in the AM.
I sometimes wake up with dry mouth, but usually that's when I've been tossing and turning a lot in my seep. If your mask does not have one, you might consider trying a mask with a chin strap.

When I first started using the CPAP, I did use a mask with a chin strap. Last year when I replaced the mask in use, I changed to one w/o the chin strap and have been fine for the most part. It took some adjustment fiddling and a little time to get used to the new mask, but it's fine now. If you are regularly experiencing dry mouth, that's an indication that you're getting pressurized air into your mouth, though not necessarily that your mouth is open. I would speak to your Dr about that, or visit a medical supply place local to you and take a look at alternative masks and see if you can reduce/eliminate that issue.

Finally got results and they say I need the machine. The problem is that I sleep a few hours in bed and then because of back pain I spend the rest of the night in my lazy boy. Maybe I need two CPAP set ups.

Finally got results and they say I need the machine. The problem is that I sleep a few hours in bed and then because of back pain I spend the rest of the night in my lazy boy. Maybe I need two CPAP set ups.
Have them write you a scrip for the CPAP and shop around. Two machines would be simpler in some ways, but it's twice as much to clean too. Maybe just two power cords, unplug and take it to the recliner, plug back in and go back to sleep.

I'm dealing with the VA on this so I'll see what they provide or see what Medicare pays for.

I don't know what your insurance situation is, but the durable medical equipment suppliers are a complete scam. Most grossly overcharge for equipment, and require a 6-10 month rental before you own the equipment. If you co-insure at 20%, you could pay the full cost of a top-of-the-line machine, and never own it. I can buy a Resmet Airsense S10 for $650. Add in a $40 heated hose and a $99 mask, and you are out the door for under $800 for a top of the line auto-titrating PAP system. Just something to remember when DME starts talking over $3K. Your insurance or equipment provider can be your worst enemy, if you let them screw with you. Remember, it's your health, not their money that counts.

Ray, please give this a fair chance. There is a strong correlation between sleep apnea and issues related to the heart like A-fib and other major issues like stroke. I believe this can make your life better and easier, as it has for me, but you need to give it a chance, and make some adjustments. My bet is your sleep in a recliner is more related to apnea than to your back. Let me kno w if I can help in any way to hook you up with the right equipment or to adjust to this. I was four years into using a machine before the first Rueben Run, and don't sleep a night without it. It's a life-changer if you give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said before, I use the VA for my medical and have been well taken care of. Just got the report today and my primary doc has requested the the equipment. We'll see what they come up with and go from there.

Ray ol' buddy I've had one for over 10 years now. Was always tired. After getting my machine, which has a flexible pressure, I won't sleep without it. You only need the one machine. Just carry it room to room. easy. Good luck.

They say the Gold Wing is "the" old guys' bike. You're all making a pretty good case for the FJR (except for the guy who started the thread, of course). :lol:

But I'm in the CPAP club as well. I know there are several members who'll confirm I'm a world class snorer, so I use it, but only when I'm home. I can sleep without it, but the noise is off the charts, so I don't. I know it's better for an apnea sufferer to use the machine, but I'm sure the effect is cumulative, so it's a chance I'm willing to take on the road just for convenience. It did take a few weeks to get used to the mask--it pushed uncomfortably on my face since I'm another side sleeper, but it was fine after that, especially when they let me try a different style. Be sure to find the best one for you, Ray.

I used to use a CPAP. Made a huge positive difference. Lost weight and the need for the CPAP went away. I had throat cancer a few years ago and it left me with perpetual dry mouth, especially if I breath thru my mouth. At night I use nasal strips that adhere to the bridge of the nose and stimulate a natural reaction for the nasal passages to open. They work quiet well. I also use a product called Xylimelts to keep my mouth moist at night. Xylimelts are made of a sugar that promotes saliva production, but the sugar cannot be processed by our bodies, ergo no damage to teeth or calories. They also have a concave side that will stick to a gum so there is no choking hazard (available on Amazon). Of course I keep a glass of water at bed side and use that 3-5 times a night. I'm a bit of an expert on dry mouth,,, unfortunately. Incidently, if you have regular dry mouth it places you at greater risk for dental problems; it is important to work with a dentist to keep that under control as well.

Got my new toy today. Looking forward to sleeping. Will probably still wake up with back pain but half a night is better than nothing.

Ray, you mentioned earlier about sleeping some nights in your La-Z-Boy...

After some serious abdominal surgery 14 years ago, I simply could NOT lie down on a flat mattress unless I was on my side in a fetal position. The pain in my back from seriously diseased L4 and L5 vertebrae, combined with all the surgically damaged muscle tissue in my abdomen keeps me from stretching out straight. I HAVE to be in a sitting position, albeit reclined, or I can't sleep at all, and am fairly crippled in the morning.

I moved permanently to my La-Z-Boy 14 years ago and never looked back. Especially after discovering La-Z-Boy had basically a "Big and Tall" model for us MEN! I'm 6'4" and 240+, so I needed a BIG recliner that I could get comfortable in. Bought myself a "Papa Bear" recliner and would rather give up the FJR than my chair. Have slept in it, soundly, every night for the last 14 years without regret. And my back problems have diminished a bunch over the years, too.

Still have my bed in my room.....makes a great place for putting my clean clothes when I'm too lazy (or hurting) to hang it all up!
biggrin.png

Oh, to add, sleeping reclining, without laying flat on my back, also stopped my snoring, too!

Put a new mattress in the waterbed last week after finding a leak. Supposed to be the best one for back issues.

Howie. I also have the big recliner from Lazy-boy and sleep in it a lot. The sleep doc said use the CPAP in bed cause it works best when you're laying down but if I use the chair more then move the machine. I asked about a second machine but the VA ain't going for it.:) :) :)

My back issues start with C3- C7 messed up, scoliosis and thorasic outlet in the middle followed up with stenosis,bone spurs and sciatic issues. To many years as a human forklift. Throw in two rebuilt elbows,one knee and two hernias. No wonder I whine a lot.:) :) :)

Glad to hear you got the machine Ray. Some people adjust immediately, others take some time. I hope you take to it right away and sleep longer than you expect to. Sometimes I sleep well, but wake up with the sore back because of being in one position all night. I'm sure you know what meds work for you, but for me a couple of alieve help with the back pain. On nights I don't take them, I sometimes wake up on my side and with the mask pushed up against my nose, leaving me with a red snoz most of the day.

Best wishes for a good night's sleep.

Ray, as a final thought, after a particularly long or stressful week, a typical night in the La Z Boy for me is never less than 9 hours, and sometimes as much as 12 to 14 hours of blissful, uninterrupted coma. Bladder volume is now truly my sleep limiter. :D

I don't get to take the over the counter stuff cause it screws with the coumadin. The VA supplies lots of Vicodin but I use very little.

The power of suggestion, I suppose. Saw the title of this thread and suddenly it was 15 minutes later and I woke up staring at the screen
rolleyes.gif

I don't get to take the over the counter stuff cause it screws with the coumadin. The VA supplies lots of Vicodin but I use very little.
RH - Fuck you, hoser. (from a small bladder guy)
not_i.gif

Ray, consider this, if you wake up in the middle of the night and don't have to pee, take a couple vicodins and go back to bed.

The Vicodin works for the pain but I makes me (more) stupid and after a couple days of Vicodin then I can't shit. I'm already full enough. I'm cunfused.