Sluggish throttle return

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zom

Reaction score
Hello all.  It's been a while since I've posted here, mostly because I haven't been riding much.  I'd like to change that this year, & the bike was due for a valve check, so I decided to dive into that.  All were in spec, & I started putting it back together.  I had a heck of a time getting the coolant tube back in, so I'm hoping I didn't screw something up there.  We'll see once I get it all back together & start it up.

The problem I'm having is with the throttle.  During disassembly & reassembly, I may have man handled the throttle cables a bit to get them out of the way.  I did eventually disconnect the cable from the grip & that helped.  During reassembly, the throttle doesn't "snap" back closed, it gradually returns.  I've checked multiple times that the grip is reassembled correctly, & I never rerouted the cables, other than pulling them out of the way.

Upon close inspection at the throttle body, I think I broke the housing where it connects to the bracket. There's the brass bracket that the cables screw into, & then the nut that you tighten.  Right above that nut it is broken off, & I can easily move it around.  This is on the return cable, the one closer to the front of the bike.

I assume that is my issue?  Or is it supposed to be like that, or maybe it doesn't matter, & the problem is someplace else?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chad

That could be it. 

Make sure that you don't have the cables too tight - easy to do if you adjust them to try to get all the slack out.  There should be a bit of free play at the grip or you will get exactly what you describe.

A drop or 2 of light oil for each cable may help. Page 3-34 in my FSM "checking and lubricating the cables".

I remember a tip to unwind the return spring to 'soften' the return pressure. 

Maybe check the return spring in case it 'unwound' once on it's own.  

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try to check these out soon.  Hoping for an easy fix instead having to spend money on a new assembly.

Thanks

Does it return faster with the bars turned in one direction vs the other?  If so, it is likely that something is too tight due to mis-routing cables (easy to do) or too much of the free play has been adjusted out of the cables - needs a little slack.

It worked, I broke something, it doesn't work. Figure out what you broke does, temp fix it or duplicate it's action, see if that fixes what doesn't work.