Taming of the Throttle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanahanman

Reaction score
I'm a "new guy" so I may be covering old ground.

My "new" 2006 has the usual problem with the throttle. I have never had a bike with such a short turn to full throttle !

I am getting used to it but still having problems making nice smooth gear changes.

Today is slack adjustment day to see if it improves the situation but I see the G2 tube with the 400 cam is a good solution, other than the add - on electronics package.

Has anyone modified the stock cam or installed a tube from another bike with good results?

I understand the earlier models were smoother and wonder if it was ECU mapping or a different throttle cam profile that made the difference.

It's not that I can't pay $80 or so but if a stock part from a wrecker would work, it would be MUCH cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've heard, the Gen2 tube will work fine. I still have the original tube on mine. I found the sweet spot in no time and it doesn't bother me. Good Luck! :)

That's funny because I've always thought my 07 took too much to twist. Mine had the g2 throttle tube on it when i bought it so maybe that's my problem. I miss the 1/4 turn throttle on my r1.

The G2 will help, but the effort on the '06-'07 (maybe '08) was too high also. Hard to control something that's always fighting your wrist. Do the return spring unwind and it's even better. To smooth out more abruptness, get a PC III or PC V.

All good comments and info that my search already provided.

So, back to the real question...

Has anyone modified the stock cam or installed a tube from another bike with good results?

I understand the earlier models were smoother and wonder if it was ECU mapping or a different throttle cam profile that made the difference.
Your mechanical fixes for the gen II will help but even for my gen I, with less of a problem, I had to go with a Power Commander to totally get rid of the lurch at initial throttle roll-on and achieve linear response throughout the throttle range. Your perception of a short throttle turn may well be caused by live and dead spots in the stock ECU throttle mapping where you get all or nothing. That perception can also work the other way where you feel you have to turn the throttle too much before anything happens.

All good comments and info that my search already provided.So, back to the real question...

If your meaning the "cam" for throttle tub then you know the answerer would be yes as there is the G2. A few have changed the throttle body but I have not heard of anyone actually changing the cam on the throttle body.

The issue isn't the throttle tube, it's the cam profile on the throttle bodies.

It's a part that can't be replaced or easily modified.

Go ahead and get the G2, you'll be happier for it.

The stock throttle tube can easily be modified with a hacksaw blade and a small round file to shape a deeper cable groove which progressively meets the original outside profile. It was already discussed previously here, but the pictures are missing.

Nothing to add to your original questions, but the G2 is quite the work of art you are about to permanently hide away. It's very slick and works well. I combined that, the PCIII, and the unwind to get my bike about 95% fixed. It's MUCH better than it was but is still noticeable when you are trying to be technical in that low end of the throttle twist.

My writeup is here -> https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/145160-operation-smoothness

Thanks for the links John d and gixxerjason

Here is the kind of answer I was looking for...

I can't state strongly enough how well this farkle works. Most times, you farkle it and 'kind of' feel a difference (Strada E tires vs Road Pilots, barbarian jumper mod, etc) but this farkle is very much evident at the first post farkle ride. I am really, really,
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
with this farkle.
Kinda' says it all!

I did try some re-grooving of the stock tube, which helped, but didn't want to go too far and ruin it.

G2 will be ordered this week.

Thank all
smile.png

BTW I have found working on any bike is like this...

me shouting words my three year old doesn't need to know
weirdsmiley.gif

While I have to admire you for wanting to work with what is there rather than replace parts, I am also laughing at the fact that you wound up buying the G2 anyway.

I think you will find, as Gixxerjasen said, the G2 is a work of art. It is beautifully machined and anodized. The one I have almost matches the paint on the '07, the work is easy and fast, and the results are fantastic.

To make yourself even happier, install the PC-V.

These two modifications work VERY well together and make an already wonderful motorcycle that much better. It is not just seat/bar position that contributes to fatigue at the end of a long day. After a long day in the twisties, these mods pay for themselves.

Sometimes the "All Knowing Forum" can be a little over the top with "Do it this way or you're doing it wrong". The thing is, they actually do know this bike better than anyone else.

Question for any Gen3 pilots. Do you feel you have the same problem?? I rode 2 demo bikes at Daytona this year (2013) and did not notice the problem.. My test is when going around a corner at about 4k, slightly roll on and roll off the throttle and see if she bucks or is smooth... I did not notice it with the 2013. My old ST 1300 would buck like a mule. Roll on, nothing then "bang"...

Inquiring minds want to know.. mitch

This "problem" was with the '06 and '07 model year FJR. There was an egg shaped throttle cable pulley at the throttle bodies that caused a very abrupt response. This was combined with a very lean fueling issue which was worse on some bikes than others. The fuel mapping was improved and the pulley was a normal round shape from '08 on.

Oddly enough, my ST1300 has probably the smoothest throttle response of any piece of equipment I have ever operated. With the G2 and the PC-V Dad's FJR is now very very smooth. The only reason I find it more abrupt than my ST1300 is because it is more powerful and accelerates faster than my Honda. It is now very controllable though.

On my 06, the barbarian mod worked well for me along with the G2 throttle cam. The G2 by itself didn't quite do it, then I went with the Barbarian mod and it's "good enough" now.

I'm a "new guy" so I may be covering old ground.My "new" 2006 has the usual problem with the throttle.

I understand the earlier models ... a different throttle cam profile that made the difference.

I altered my '06 cam profile, careful use of a hacksaw (the rich guys would use a Dremel) in the slot where the cable runs.

Together with slackening the centre throttle spring a turn, and removing the throttle cable slack, this did help. Still not as good as my '10 stock.

This picture shows my desired profile (not necessarily the best, but what I worked to).

(Click on image for larger view)

More pictures here.

Status
Not open for further replies.