Taming of the Throttle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has certainly cleared up my questions.

I had no idea that the '06 had a different TB cam profile!

Also looked into the TB return spring mod but after comparing the return tension to my other bikes, it doesn't seem to be out of line.

Perhaps the PO did the spring mod .

While the G2 tube sounds like the perfect solution, I couldn't resist the attempt to modify the existing tube and save the $80+ it costs here in Canada.

Thanks for the pictures.

At this time of year I have time on my hands and $80 saved is $80 for fuel
smile.png

It just seems that even after dropping $8k on a great bike, there is always more ways to keep spending...and spending...and spending...

And then there is this sub frame issue to look at.

It seems like a terrific bike but I can't shake the nagging doubt that, after owning an ST1100 for 8 years, I should have gone for the ST1300.

I'll give it this season and see how I feel about it at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power Commander V fixed 90% that problem for me.

If it improved power, I didn't feel it.

1. I have never had a bike with such a short turn to full throttle !
2. I am getting used to it but still having problems making nice smooth gear changes.

3. Has anyone modified the stock cam or installed a tube from another bike with good results?
I have one of the earlier 08s. Had, and still have to a minor degree, the same issue. I'm convinced my 08 has some left-over 07 parts. I changed to the G2 and synced the TBs with some "I-can-deal-with-it" improvements.

1. Short turn to full throttle? I want to assume you've checked on this but want mention it just in case...are you sure there is no cable sticking/binding? It closes properly to idle because its clear to do so and not stopping short with the idle adjusted down to make it seem that it's closed completely?

2. For smooth gear changes experiment with the recommended rpm ranges again. You might be outside of them causing abruptness to the shift. We AE riders can't feather a clutch lever for smoothness...that computer does it for us and does it fast. You can choose to roll back on the throttle at gear changes but some riders are fine without it. Experiment.

3. Yeah...good question. Is a used or new 08 and later throttle tube...since they're corrected... better priced than a G2? I never checked and went straight to the G2. It is quality made.

Good luck.

Yep, my G2 and my Winpro Blockoff plates, two of the trickest looking bits on my bike that are completely covered up.
sad.png

I think the OEM throttle tubes are the same, The 06 throttle body cam is non linear,

The G-2 tube curve cancels the non linear throttle body cam.

I think the OEM throttle tubes are the same, The 06 throttle body cam is non linear,The G-2 tube curve cancels the non linear throttle body cam.
There it is, Powerman. Thanks...I think I knew that but fell into a misinformation stream of posts. Didn't absorb it as it was mentioned in this thread too.
fool.gif

Hey guys, when i got my Gen1 last year there were some G2 packages(empty) and a couple of throttle cams, one a Y205 and the other a Y400, in the bag liners. Is the Y400 the G2 cam? It's an odd shaped thing. Is this something Nanahanman or anybody else could use? If it is, PM me, I'll send it to you free including postage.

It just seems that even after dropping $8k on a great bike, there is always more ways to keep spending...and spending...and spending...And then there is this sub frame issue to look at.

It seems like a terrific bike but I can't shake the nagging doubt that, after owning an ST1100 for 8 years, I should have gone for the ST1300.

I'll give it this season and see how I feel about it at the end.
You can spend as much or as little as you like, you have chosen a great bike. As for the ST1300/FJR dilemma, that is a Win/Win choice. The FJR is more exciting, the ST is softer. I spend time on both bikes and still do not have a preference. The FJR forum is a heck of a lot more fun though!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RaYzerman19" data-cid="1054616" data-time="1364559833"><p>

The G2 will help, but the effort on the '06-'07 (maybe '08) was too high also. Hard to control something that's always fighting your wrist. Do the return spring unwind and it's even better. To smooth out more abruptness, get a PC III or PC V.</p></blockquote>

Progress report.

I have modified the stock throttle tube and adjusted the throttle cam spring, as suggested by a couple of members, and it has made quite a difference.

I can apply power in a much smoother way now and am not hesitant to make throttle adjustments in corners.

Also, I am getting used to how the bike "wants" me to shift.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

It's funny how you get used to things. I bought the bike and man was it terrible. I rode on it for a few weeks and broke down and scraped the cash together and didn the whole kit and kaboodle. Throttle tube, PCIII, spring unwind. Night and day I tell you. The bike was so smooooooth and I loved it and felt it was money well spent.

I'd say it fixed it 95%. That was huge. Now that I've been riding on it nearly daily for the last year or so, I've gotten used to the throttle. I feel that last 5% and it's annoying! Sigh...if it were easy, every once in a while I'd change it all back just to remember how bad it was.
biggrin.png

Exactly.....Even after almost 7 years on the bike I still get an occasional lurch, especially in first gear, that makes me feel like a rookie..Oh well- a small price to pay..

That lurch when just starting to open the throttle is the only thing about the FJR that irritates me. With a lot of concentration and gradual opening of the throttle I can prevent most of the lurch but not all of it and not consistently. More practice and more practice.

So.. The oem throttle cam is too steep...

and the G2 cam is neutral, an improvement on oem...

perhaps a cam could be cut that is even flatter off idle which would help the problem..very controlled, gradual throttle opening eliminates the problem..

hmm-have to experiment with the old tube laying on the shelf..

The early Gen II G2 throttle tube cam is the mirror image of the ramp on the throttle body pulley, the two are supposed to exactly cancel out and create a linear 1:1 ratio of throttle tube movement to throttle plate rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The early Gen II G2 throttle tube cam is the mirror image of the ramp on the throttle body pulley, the two are supposed to exactly cancel out and create a linear 1:1 ratio of throttle tube movement to throttle plate rotation.
So would it be possible to create a less than 1:1 ratio...kind of like a lower gear ratio in a differential..

So if the G2 cam was copied exactly, but the diameter was slightly smaller-rotation at the throttle body pulley would be reduced and more incremental. Of course more throttle rotation would be required to go wide full open. Or the ramp could be steeper , say past half throttle ..

thoughts?

You still have to get by the fuel cut....that is going to be the root of your problems.

You still have to get by the fuel cut....that is going to be the root of your problems.
^^^^^^ +1, this is a critical issue that a PC III or V can mask. But, Inewlf is correct, you can definitely change the throttle ratio and rate by fiddling with the throttle tube pulley profile. G2 makes a living doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts