Taming of the Throttle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny B has some maps for a Juice Box pro or a power commander he can email you. If you want smooth, try my map that he has :)

I would love to get my hands on some new maps for my newly installed PC-V. It has made a huge difference on my 06 but better is better.

So if the G2 cam was copied exactly, but the diameter was slightly smaller-rotation at the throttle body pulley would be reduced and more incremental. Of course more throttle rotation would be required to go wide full open. Or the ramp could be steeper , say past half throttle ..thoughts?
I think this is where I ended up.

I kept making gradual cuts and finally got the "off idle" throttle control pretty smooth.

Still, there is that fuel cut but delicate use of the clutch can mitigate the effect.

My Hawk NT650 has the same problem so at least both bikes are "similar".

A slightly fatter hand grip would also help but that reduces heat transfer from the grip warmers.

You just can't roll off the throttle too fast in first gear.

I'm sure spending another $300 on some kind of electronics would make the FJR better but really, it's not $300 worth of that bad!

If I were to spend money, it would be on a cruise control....or a seat.

Don't get me started on that %$#@ seat
uhoh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here's where I stand on the throttle issue(s) with my 2007 A model: I've done the return spring mod and installed the G2. My wrist is happier with the reduced spring tension, but I'm still jerkier on shifts on the FJR than most anything I've ridden, primarily non-aggressive 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. If I don't do the shift really quickly, almost just fanning the clutch, it seems that the revs drop precipitously, and there's no smooth way to transition back onto the throttle. Downshifts don't seem to be an issue, as I blip as a habit. I don't really want to spend the ≈$300 for a PCIII or PC5, particularly if remapping is going to severely affect MPGs. But, if that would do it... I've read tonight that the PC isn't really capable of fixing performance that close to zero throttle position. Can somebody shed some light?

creg-ny-baa, are you shutting your throttle completely down during the shifting process?

I don't really want to spend the ≈$300 for a PCIII or PC5, particularly if remapping is going to severely affect MPGs.
It WILL affect the mpg's as shown on your display. As for real MPG's as calculated based on fill up and miles traveled....here ya go.

Before G2 and PCIII

42.5, 42.9, 43.2, 42.0, 41.9, 43.2

After G2 and PCIII - Bold indicates SS1K run, the rest is pretty much daily commuting.

41.1, 38.7, 40.0, 41.9, 45.1, 39.5, 43.5, 46.0, 46.6, 42.6, 42.5, 42.2, 41.9, 43.1, 42.3, 42.8, 40.6

Take a look, and tell me if you think that hit on MPG's is bad enough to not do the mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
creg-ny-baa, are you shutting your throttle completely down during the shifting process?
Well, no more than on any other bike; I'm off throttle, but I don't know that it's closed. I just notice the lurch/bog/lag/whatever on any sort of leisurely shift--the sort of shift I do on anything else.
I don't really want to spend the ≈$300 for a PCIII or PC5, particularly if remapping is going to severely affect MPGs.
It WILL affect the mpg's as shown on your display. As for real MPG's as calculated based on fill up and miles traveled....here ya go.Before G2 and PCIII42.5, 42.9, 43.2, 42.0, 41.9, 43.2After G2 and PCIII - Bold indicates SS1K run, the rest is pretty much daily commuting.41.1, 38.7, 40.0, 41.9, 45.1, 39.5, 43.5, 46.0, 46.6, 42.6, 42.5, 42.2, 41.9, 43.1, 42.3, 42.8, 40.6Take a look, and tell me if you think that hit on MPG's is bad enough to not do the mods.
Well, my statistics class is behind me, and it's too big a PITA to try to calculate the average on the $%#! iPad... but that looks mighty close. I reckon I'll watch for a used deal or one on eBay; I don't really want to pony up the bigger bucks right now.

I hear ya on the expenditure, I was freaking desperate. I set out to solve it by hitting it with both barrels and was happy with the results. It ain't 100% perfect, but it is better.

I ask about the throttle because as I've posted before from Ivan's site, the FI has a fuel cut that happens when you close the throttle fully. It's an emissions/safety thing. As you have a clutch lever, it seems that a lot of this can be mitigated with a bit of technique I'd think. I'd like to try but I have no lever.
biggrin.png
But maybe by not closing it fully and regulating it a bit with the clutch you can smooth it out a bit.

Adding pricey hardware and electronics is fun though and won't hurt.
biggrin.png

Okay, here's where I stand on the throttle issue(s) with my 2007 A model: I've done the return spring mod and installed the G2. My wrist is happier with the reduced spring tension, but I'm still jerkier on shifts on the FJR than most anything I've ridden, primarily non-aggressive 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. If I don't do the shift really quickly, almost just fanning the clutch, it seems that the revs drop precipitously, and there's no smooth way to transition back onto the throttle. Downshifts don't seem to be an issue, as I blip as a habit. I don't really want to spend the ≈$300 for a PCIII or PC5, particularly if remapping is going to severely affect MPGs. But, if that would do it... I've read tonight that the PC isn't really capable of fixing performance that close to zero throttle position. Can somebody shed some light?
I'm wondering if the CO tweak (aka Barbarian Jumper mod?) helps with this sans going with a PC or Juice Box.

I have a PCIII with a hybrid map that I tweaked further and the bike fuels very smoothly from the 1100 rpm idle to redline. I average about 39mpg commuting to work, combination of highway/city.

We are all different and our bikes are all different. So, in my experience...

Dad's '07 with the PC-V and the G2 is incredibly smooth. Creamy smooth throttle control. As a somewhat unexpected bonus, smoother fueling leads to smoother shifting. The transmission feels like perfection on both up and down shifts now. I suppose that less lurching from the powerplant allows the gears and dogs to be in the perfect position when the operator wants to shift.

Do keep in mind that the PC-V is only as good as the map you have installed in it. Dad loves his now and the money was well spent.

Do keep in mind that the PC-V is only as good as the map you have installed in it. Dad loves his now and the money was well spent.
What map does your dad have loaded into his PC-V? Standard exhaust?
Yes. FuelMoto asked very specific questions about what we had and what we wanted to accomplish. They were very familiar with the FJR issues. The bike was (and is) bone stock. FuelMoto shipped it with their map. I asked them specifically if the map were the default and they assured me that it was not. It was a map they had done just to correct the smoothness of the FJR.
I rode that bike yesterday and the difference between stock and now is unbelievable.

I rode that bike yesterday and the difference between stock and now is unbelievable.
And the cool thing is, you can back that map up to your computer and then load the zero map...which makes the PCV do nothing, and compare the results side by side if you want.
biggrin.png

Good price. FuelMoto's price is slightly higher than that, but they provide lifetime mapping support.

(I have no connection...to nuthin')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts