"TWIST" get's high-sided...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Reaction score
How to begin... I wrecked.

I went out for an evening ride with the idea of shooting some sunset pictures and it seemed like it was going great. I have a favorite local road that is about 7 miles each way and nothing but twisties. It goes up over a hill and has near perfect pavement.

I made the run up and over nice and easy because I know better than to hit it hard without scouting it. Too many places where dirt can slide down or get washed out when it rains. The return trip was a little faster and satisfied my need for speed. After I made it back to the beginning of the run, I realized I was still a little early for sunset, so I decided to make another run and focus on making it smooth. I normally do most of the run in second with quite a bit of revs and a lot of torque. Since the FJR lugs beautifully, I decided to run it in third and make it smooth. This was working great all the way up and about half the way down the backside... then I got to this corner:

p658922146-3.jpg

Then I drove through this... which was NOT on the road during the last pass.

p964496610-3.jpg

As you can see, I lost both tires and started a low-side. Then I ended up where the yellow dot is.

p853926829-3.jpg

You can see where the skid marks begin, where they end as the bike grips and rights itself, throwing me over the front and the right side TOG digs into the pavement. The bike ended up here, turned completely around and on its right ride.

p915009528-3.jpg

As you can see, the damage is pretty extensive but the bike still runs. I rode it home and then to the dealer today for an estimate. Not exactly a happy day.

p934822268-3.jpg

Anyway, just a couple more quick things...

Safety gear WORKS!

p811937483-3.jpg

p921668595-3.jpg

p1010399052-3.jpg

Even with gear, sometimes a failure can occur and minor injuries may result.

p639193265-3.jpg

p927527446-3.jpg

Sometimes it isn't the damage to the bike that brings the biggest tear... I lost my baby. Any of you who saw me at WFO this year know how much I loved this camera.

p962394473-3.jpg

Most important...

I WALKED AWAY TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY!

Sorry about the thread length, but pictures tell much more than I can type. I know the support on this forum and I appreciate the kind words in advance. Thank you.

Finally, I can't wait for NAFO. I'm registered, still plan on going and plan on being on my FJR... I just don't know if it will be the same one I had last year!

See you all soon!

P.S. There are a few more pictures located here... just in case you want to see the full carnage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it Duff! Very glad to see you're ok 'cepting a razberry on the elbow. You might feel sore mananna, but as you say.. walked away!

That splooge looks like rusty radiator fluid.

What thoughts did you process during the event?

Did you keep your eyes open?

Any thing in particular stand out while crashing? A bizarre thought? Sounds?

I think your're bike will be repairable. Stay on blue.

By the way, I had a moment on a night ride tonight too.. :angry: But I didn't crash, so I don't get a CC#, you do!

Once again, happy you are Okay.

Nope. That's Starbucks. Starbucks' fault totally. That's latte dammit!

(I've already told you how happy I am that your ok!) Now go getcha an 08 baby! sexy yeah!

Sometimes you do everything right and the result sucks. Nothing more you could have done. Sorry about your accident.

Heal up and ride on. That sux man. Been there, done that.......

You said the TOG "dug in"... what brand? Delrin or Aluminum?

Let us know you are healing up ok and give progress reports on the bike's status. Just make sure when they put it back together they don't pinch a headlight wire......

Sorry to hear about your mishap, it is really a bummer! Looks like a nice patch of highway, to bad it will have bad memories for you from now on, but as said before nothing you could have done to avoid it. I hope you get your two toys back soon!

Sorry to hear about your off but it was another plug on why to never ride without your gear. It could and would have been worse had you not been wearing gear.

You are alive to ride another day.

Momentary threadjack here:

I used to live in Buellton and despised the place so cause there was not place to really work the CBR 954 I owned. Where exactly is this road? It doesn't look familiar to me and I would of been looking for such a place. Foxen Canyon was the only place I found decent for about 3 miles then it was over.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Did you find the cup?

Another reason for low-fat lattes.

I don't like to read these.

But I appreciate reading that you did due diligence and scouted the road first. It's a good lesson for us all that what you get for going to the trouble is a semi-infinite probability window that starts to deteriorate just as soon as you've scanned any particular piece of road. As time goes on, it's less and less likely the road looks as it did when you saw it. The Law of Increasing Entropy demands this. The piece of entropy most likely to kill me will be on a similar road, in an SUV, talking on her cell phone to her mom. She'll be in my lane and won't realize what she ran over until she finishes telling her mom the story that was more important than not killing people. No amount of scanning a road in advance uncovers the SUV coming at you in your lane on a blind corner. But, like you, I still like to scan roads in advance before I wick it up a bit.

I also appreciate the pics of your gear. It's helpful to look at strike areas and consider my own gear.

I hope you and your bike are all patched up in record time.

Regards

Now that's gonna cost a few $, but hey your still im a possition to earn it..

Could have been much worse.

Sorry to hear of this but wearing the right gear and utilizing your riding experience has paid off..

Sorry to hear about this. I am glad you are mostly mentally injured. I hope everything, including the bike, heals quickly.

Thanks for taking the time to post up with detailed pictures. I think everybody learns from these experiences.

-BD

First...the good news: You were able to walk away and are able to type this "announcement"!

Bad news and good news, all in one thread! I am saddened and elated at the same time.

Second...the road: Ari Rankum has already made the best point...

It's a good lesson for us all that what you get for going to the trouble is a semi-infinite probability window that starts to deteriorate just as soon as you've scanned any particular piece of road. As time goes on, it's less and less likely the road looks as it did when you saw it. The Law of Increasing Entropy demands this.
We never know who dropped some oil, water, coffee, paint, or steer (horse, sheep, goat or any other untitled) manure on the road surface. AND, besides the phone-talking-SUV-driver scenario, there's the occaisional tourist who stops to loook at scenery or has their RV stall on a blind curve.
Dems publix rodads ain't my racetrack!

Third...the gear:

p639193265-3.jpg

p927527446-3.jpg
I had a FirstGear Kilimanjaro suffer the same fate in the same place! Plus, I had a pair of FirstGear overpants zipper fail and open, exposing my leg to the pavement (No blood...just scared the stuffings out of me for what could have been at a greater speed.).

That's why it was a no-brainer for me to move up to a Cycleport Kevlar Mesh Ultra II. YMMV.

Man, oh man, I'm glad the road had no traffic coming the other way and you survived this in the manner you did. In agreement with others...things can be replaced, you aren't that expendable. I'm looking forward to hearing the story in person @ NAFO and glad you're still in "the land of the living".

Note to Michelle: Are you planning a "Crash Club" symposium?

I went out for an evening ride with the idea of shooting some sunset pictures and it seemed like it was going great. I have a favorite local road that is about 7 miles each way and nothing but twisties. It goes up over a hill and has near perfect pavement.

I made the run up and over nice and easy because I know better than to hit it hard without scouting it. Too many places where dirt can slide down or get washed out when it rains. The return trip was a little faster and satisfied my need for speed. After I made it back to the beginning of the run, I realized I was still a little early for sunset, so I decided to make another run and focus on making it smooth. I normally do most of the run in second with quite a bit of revs and a lot of torque. Since the FJR lugs beautifully, I decided to run it in third and make it smooth. This was working great all the way up and about half the way down the backside... then I got to this corner:

p658922146-3.jpg

Then I drove through this... which was NOT on the road during the last pass.

p964496610-3.jpg

As you can see, I lost both tires and started a low-side. Then I ended up where the yellow dot is.

p853926829-3.jpg

You can see where the skid marks begin, where they end as the bike grips and rights itself, throwing me over the front and the right side TOG digs into the pavement. The bike ended up here, turned completely around and on its right ride.

p915009528-3.jpg

As you can see, the damage is pretty extensive but the bike still runs. I rode it home and then to the dealer today for an estimate. Not exactly a happy day.

p934822268-3.jpg

Anyway, just a couple more quick things...

Safety gear WORKS!

p811937483-3.jpg

p921668595-3.jpg

p1010399052-3.jpg

p639193265-3.jpg

p927527446-3.jpg

Sometimes it isn't the damage to the bike that brings the biggest tear... I lost my baby. Any of you who saw me at WFO this year know how much I loved this camera.

p962394473-3.jpg

Most important...

I WALKED AWAY TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY!

Sorry about the thread length, but pictures tell much more than I can type. I know the support on this forum and I appreciate the kind words in advance. Thank you.

Finally, I can't wait for NAFO. I'm registered, still plan on going and plan on being on my FJR... I just don't know if it will be the same one I had last year!

See you all soon!

P.S. There are a few more pictures located here... just in case you want to see the full carnage.
Hey Duff,

Sorry to learn of your "get off".

Hope you are OK though?

Looks like a Canon camera, boy that sucks because it looks like an EOS?

Good to know that the gear held up with little damage to your body.

Hope you can get the Feejer up and running again soon.

Take care,

Taff.

Sorry to hear about your, go down. At least you were smart enough to wear protective gear, every time I think of leaving the house in the hot summer without my jacket I think of all the wrecks I've seen where the rider is wearing A t'shirt, and end up spending ER money on top of getting the Bike fixed. Glad you are OK...hope you are back in the saddle soon...

Bummer. But glad to read that you were able to walk away from it.

I’m with dcarver. Since that splatter :thumbsdownsmiley: is in the middle of the lane and appears to be splattered in the direction of the lane’s flow of traffic. It makes me think it was discharged from a vehicle or trailer. Regardless, that’s a shame IMO.