Vetter Magic Seat Board

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might work to put inflatable bladders along the front/side edge of the seat to take the place of the board. If you have a pump hooked up, you could inflate and deflate as need as you ride. For example you could deflate them to put your feet down, then inflate them when you'll be riding nonstop for a couple of hours.
Yep, I've been giving this idea some thought. I had an H-D Air Zeppelin seat on my Ultra Classic for a while. It worked just like what you're describiing, with a small embedded air pump that could inflate up to three different chambers (for rider and passenger) to firm up or relax pressure-points as needed. I never should have sold it and gone the Rich's Custom Seats route.

Yeah, but I mean powered, push-button deployment, auto-retract below a certain speed. That one on the page looks like something you reach down, set, and latch into place, then have to unlock to get it out of the way.
Soon's I build one, you can have one. If we're still able to ride anything hotter than a powered wheelchair by then . . . .
Fair enough. I have to admit too that I was thinking mechanical, pneumatic, and even telekinetic as I rode home the other day.

You saw it here first. And the line will form behind Iggy.
Phuck that noise! God knows I don't want to start something like a Seat Darksider thread. Ugh. Let's dispose of that ugly thought right now!

The first person that posts a picture of a pristine FJR with a Rube Goldberg device attached to suspend their hamstrings........I dunno....just something REALLY bad is going to happen to them or their forum account. :assassin:

:)

Hey folks, if you think a magic seat board is a wild idea you should check out some of Craig's other ideas that didn't make it: BAD IDEAS LINK.

But I still like the way he at least thinks of ways to solve problems. It's the exact same way that engineer/inventor Robert Kerns came up with the idea for intermittent windshield wipers, as depicted in the movie Flash of Genius.

"Buy 'em here...Darksider ass boards!!! Get 'em while supllies last!!!"
Hey now! Darksider™ is already in use and has a specific meaning. You Ass Borders come up with something else. :fuck:

Jeeze, I can see it now. Bustanut will no longer go for 'rides', he'll go "Ass boarding". :dribble:

Oh sure, you ass boarders are comfortable...

but what about all the short bastids? They won't be able to reach the ground!! :blink:

And everyone knows you can't hang off the bike in the twisties with a board up yer ass!! :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
So to summarize from this thread:

Iggy's ass is sore. :rolleyes:

There's a line forming behind Iggy. :wub:

This involves some new moto-action now known as "Ass Boarding". :lol:

Bust is a likely participant. :eek:

Can this end any other way than a long ASS ride to the Castro District in SF?? :fans:

After further review, it looks like if you throw it just right, it should come right back to you!

And if you get stuck in the outback you could knock down some 'roos for dinnah!

LaughingHard.gif

So to summarize from this thread:
Iggy's ass is sore. :rolleyes:

There's a line forming behind Iggy. :wub:

This involves some new moto-action now known as "Ass Boarding". :lol:

Bust is a likely participant. :eek:

Can this end any other way than a long ASS ride to the Castro District in SF?? :fans:

The first person that posts a picture of a pristine FJR with a Rube Goldberg device attached to suspend their hamstrings........I dunno....just something REALLY bad is going to happen to them or their forum account. :assassin:

:)
hmmmm thinking of a device similar to a toilet seat , hinged to where you could stand and drop in place. when not in use would look like a glorified backrest hmmmmmmm

So now instead of sore sitz bones you'll get toiletosis?

(FWIW - I don't get sore sitz bones on my Russell. The weight is supported by the side wings on your thighs. Emperor's new clothes or not.)

So now instead of sore sitz bones you'll get toiletosis?
(FWIW - I don't get sore sitz bones on my Russell. The weight is supported by the side wings on your thighs. Emperor's new clothes or not.)
i don't mean a toilet seat per say but hinged like one and modified to where you don't sit on the braces but will still put the board under ya thighs. just random rube goldberg thinking here. i'm bored and don't feel like working on the real stuff :p

They laughed at Thomas Edison. They laughed at Robert Fulton. They laughed at W. C. Fields. Well, OK, they were supposed to laugh at W. C. Fields, but forward thinkers have often been scorned. This thing could be clunky to put in place and remove while riding, yes. It could make you fall over at traffic lights. It could mar your paint and be tough to store. It might even look a little odd. But if it works . . . This guy Craig Vetter has some pretty good cred, and Iggy's got a lot more miles behind him than I do, so if they like it, I'm intrigued.

I've never yet found the perfect combination for me of seat, windscreen, risers, etc., that would provide "ultimate comfort," but I sure would like to. I'm thinking I'll be outside later today making a cardboard template, and cutting up some plywood shortly after that. I'll start with a scrap piece of 1/4" plywood since 1) it's easier to cut, and 2) I already have it. If it feels like I might like it, I'll get a small square of good quality 1/2 plywood and go all out. For what the risk is, I think there's a lot of upside potential. And at least I'll have a nice big kickstand pad if I want to park on the beach or in a swamp.

I tried to do this with my seat when it was made. I asked them to make it wider at the front. Most people that have sat on it don't like that.

Sante Fe Dreamin can't even touch the ground on my bike. But you can only make the seat so wide and then even some one tall like me can't touch the ground. My sitz bones still hurt when I ride so I think this is a very intriguing idea. I am going to give it a try but am a little worried that I might drop the thing or crash trying to get it in place or stop at a light.

Thanks for passing thin on Iggy. Bout time you earned your keep around here.