What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs? (Run-Off)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs?

• Gen 3.5

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Gen 4

Votes: 54 74.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
With a plurality of votes we need to have a run-off of the top two vote-getters (Gen 3.5 or Gen 4) on what to call the 2016 and 2017 FJRs. This is a new vote, so please vote for a final time.

Poll results will be tallied Friday, July 28, 2017 and I'll update the designator accordingly on the FJR year choice we each have on the left.

Be forewarned that off-topic posts that aren't directly focused on subject-at-hand will be toasted. Please...stick...to...the...subject. Thank you for your contributions to the FJR community.

Vote cast...looking forward to the results (
weirdsmiley.gif
) and subsequent forum banter!

--G

I read all the comments from the previous vote; many good points made for the different options provided on that vote. For me it boils down to consistency and not favoring commencing the use of a decimal. For this simple reason, I voted Gen 4.

Well,in Europe we say:

01-02 /03 US No Abs: Gen1

03-05 /04-05 US Abs or no Abs: Gen2

06-12: Gen3

2013-2017: Gen4

As about the 03 Abs or not is a little confusion here,probably never came in US.It is the same with the 04-05 but the color on the handlebars and the triple yoke is the same with the 01-02 European/03 US Light silver,not the dark metal silver as the 04-05 is.Also the color of the rims is light silver,not the same with the 04-05.On the 04-05 the color of the rims is a bit darker.Also finaly has the Yamaha logo sticker on the side plastics under the seat..

Perhaps you don't know about these differences...

Here how the 03 European model looks:

https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/design-cafe/2003/FJR1300A-STUDIO%20PS02.jpg

Also in Europe came and in this light green color:

https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/design-cafe/2004/FJR1300-STUDIO-01%20PS01.jpg

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/about-bikes/sport-touring/index.aspx?view=article&id=442654&segment=&archive=false&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you don't know about these differences...
I do, but it's not really relevant here. Discussed before in the linked thread. I thought it was marketing hooey mostly personally.

Regardless, feel free to vote. That's what's going to matter in this poll and thread.

Thanks.

Good poll! Gearbox, clutch, and light changes are significant to me as a rider. I have a Gen 2 and love it. But, if I purchase another, I'll look for a 2016 or newer for these features. So, I think these changes deserve a full number change. Gen 4 is my vote.

Plurality of votes my ass, did you not get the answer you wanted?

Decimal points suck, Gen4.

Plurality of votes my ass, did you not get the answer you wanted?
Decimal points suck, Gen4.
Why the attitude dude?

47.96% is less than 50% plus one vote. That's a plurality, plain and simple. As stated consistently from the very beginning, a run-off would decide if a majority wasn't established. If I could have done ranked choice voting in one round via the poll mechanism I would have, but couldn't make it work that way.

It doesn't matter what I want or what you want. If it was about what I want I'd just call it Gen 3.5 and not do a poll. This one is going to be forum majority and current trends are aiming towards Gen 4. Fine with me however it turns out.

So, go vote! We'll know the results soon enough.
smile.png

The poll should be Gen 3 vs Gen 4. A vote for 3.5 was a vote for Gen 3.
Or a 3 vote could have been a vote for 3.5....

Gen 3 was included in the first poll and received the third most votes at 18.37%. Gen 3.5 received the second most amount of votes at 28.57%.

It certainly wouldn't make sense to run off #1 with #3....so we're going two a run-off since #1 and #2 didn't get a majority. Basic voting stuff here.

Gen IV sounds a lot better than Gen III.V..

I think the mechanical changes are enough to justify a new Gen.

The poll should be Gen 3 vs Gen 4. A vote for 3.5 was a vote for Gen 3.
Or a 3 vote could have been a vote for 3.5....
Gen 3 was included in the first poll and received the third most votes at 18.37%. Gen 3.5 received the second most amount of votes at 28.57%.

It certainly wouldn't make sense to run off #1 with #3....so we're going two a run-off since #1 and #2 didn't get a majority. Basic voting stuff here.
Yes basic, except the original poll was flawed since there was no Gen 4.5. The voting was skewed. The Gen 4 choice collected all Gen 4 votes vs the Gen 3 was divided between 3 and 3.5. A vote for Gen 3.5 was also a vote for Gen 3, just updated. The original poll was the equivalent of putting one candidate from 4G party on the ballot against two candidates from the 3G party

The base question should have been: Are these bikes stil 3rd Gens, or are they deserving of a new Generation?

Honestly, I don't care that much what they get called. I'm just pointing out the inequity of the process.

The base question should have been: Are these bikes stil 3rd Gens, or are they deserving of a new Generation?
I never remember 4.5 even being really considered. You have a source for that conversation?

Regardless, you should go do a poll however you want then!
wink.png

See, our bike is so perfect in so many ways, we are reduced to talking about superfluous model differences/designations.
rolleyes.gif

My 2013 is the first year GenIII FJR1300, without question or controversy. :)

The only real item I wish I had (that 2014+ bikes do have) is an unhindered cruise control.

The first year Gen III factory cruise control is restricted to 80mph. It's a software limitation, and 10-15 years ago, I would not put up with this; I would had contacted my sources in the Technical Division in Cypress and find out what black box module I need to swap out with a 2014 or later equivalent, and get 'er done.

But, I haven't bothered. It's not that age has finally softened me (I don't think), rather, nowadays the FJR is a permanently 2-up touring machine for Annie and I, and the fact of the matter is: there is little need to blast around at supra-legals speeds for long periods when I am carrying her.

If I want to enter the realm of being a scofflaw, I'll be on the Hayabusa.
punk.gif

Vote cast.

Conflicted though as I can see both sides of the argument. Let the majority rule and let's move on.

See, our bike is so perfect in so many ways, we are reduced to talking about superfluous model differences/designations.
rolleyes.gif

My 2013 is the first year GenIII FJR1300, without question or controversy.
smile.png

The only real item I wish I had (that 2014+ bikes do have) is an unhindered cruise control.

The first year Gen III factory cruise control is restricted to 80mph. It's a software limitation, and 10-15 years ago, I would not put up with this; I would had contacted my sources in the Technical Division in Cypress and find out what black box module I need to swap out with a 2014 or later equivalent, and get 'er done.

But, I haven't bothered. It's not that age has finally softened me (I don't think), rather, nowadays the FJR is a permanently 2-up touring machine for Annie and I, and the fact of the matter is: there is little need to blast around at supra-legals speeds for long periods when I am carrying her.

If I want to enter the realm of being a scofflaw, I'll be on the Hayabusa.
punk.gif
Kind of funny How my riding "slows sown" when my wife is on the back...

I was seriously considering a 16/17 but Reno John Made me reconsider//

Status
Not open for further replies.