What is the problem with manufacturers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a website with videos showing various bluetooth installations and operations include the Scala, Sena and Chatterbox.

RevZilla

Its still not clear to me how how a BT phone and the SR10 would work together but it looks like it would.

Sena claims it can do 4 pairings and 3-way conferencing.

I still can't tell if you can talk to other manufacturers units.

Hey, its getting toward spring up here. Yea!

7x
I knew there was something I forgot...none of the units will let someone talk to another brand BT unit. They are proprietary! If your buddies don't have the same brand unit you do, you can't talk to them.

Sorry!
Thanks everybody for this great information, looks like Sena is what we Stanley Boys want and need. I spend 95% of my time riding with SkooterG. I don't want to talk to him off the bike, so I sure as hell don't want to talk to him while riding. The other 5% is with Fairlaner, same story there! I don't listen to music and I don't believe in GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my collett communicators the work excellent with my I phone giving me wireless conictivity with Tom Tom Pandora cell phone calls and communication with my wife / pylon and other people in our riding group. Clarity is 100% with all formats.

Can you use earbud speakers with the Sena headset? That is a must for me.
Yes. That's how I use mine. Wouldn't want to use in helmet speakers. I've tried it and they suck.
+2...I had earbuds molded at AZ Bike Week last year (there were 3 different vendors that I recall), and for me, they are the best, most comfortable way to use the system. My longest ride with the Sena was a run to California right before Christmas, 5 hours there, and 7 back (had to stop a bunch for my wife to get up and walk around!). If you and Don want to see the system, I can show it to you on the next AZ ride, if I'm actually in town!

Yes. That's how I use mine. Wouldn't want to use in helmet speakers. I've tried it and they suck.
Well Mister Armadillo fucker, that's one thing we agree on. Thanks for the info. I might have to try one of these things someday. I have been happy with Autocom, but their shit is pricey!!!
DogFunny1.jpg

Papa Chuy Viejo just got off of the phone with Alex/Cougar of Misha Cycles and our Sena unit is on the way to The Stanley Boys. Thanks CAJW for starting this thread!

A little late to the party... but +1 on the Sena... I love mine. I've found that it sounds the best with earplugs in and the speakers cranked up. Battery lasts for a loooooong time (and you can run it plugged in to charge it), big jog dial on the side is easy to use with gloves, people cant even tell I'm on the bike when I answer the phone, etc. etc. Boom mike with full face.

Papa Chuy Viejo just got off of the phone with Alex/Cougar of Misha Cycles and our Sena unit is on the way to The Stanley Boys. Thanks CAJW for starting this thread!
Always happy to assist the forum brethren in spreading their hard earned dollars amongst the board vendors. I, for one am still looking for communication Nirvana. :unsure:

A little late to the party... but +1 on the Sena... I love mine. I've found that it sounds the best with earplugs in and the speakers cranked up. Battery lasts for a loooooong time (and you can run it plugged in to charge it), big jog dial on the side is easy to use with gloves...Boom mike with full face.
Yeah, that's how I operate it as well, since I haven't spent the bucks on a fitted earbud yet.

I loved being able to talk to russperry about CAJW behind his back along Skaggs Springs Road...or chatting with Griff during the Hooterville 400 to see what those Hoons behind me were up to....

A little late to the party... but +1 on the Sena... I love mine. I've found that it sounds the best with earplugs in and the speakers cranked up. Battery lasts for a loooooong time (and you can run it plugged in to charge it), big jog dial on the side is easy to use with gloves...Boom mike with full face.
Yeah, that's how I operate it as well, since I haven't spent the bucks on a fitted earbud yet.

I loved being able to talk to russperry about CAJW behind his back along Skaggs Springs Road...or chatting with Griff during the Hooterville 400 to see what those Hoons behind me were up to....
Watch it Wheat boy! My tail gunner shot plenty of compromising pics of you and that sperry guy and we wouldn't want those published on a public forum, now would we? :p

Not even Old Michael could photoshop anything into that day's adventure that wasn't pure clean motorcycle riding bliss. I believe we had some fun traversing Skaggs Springs road that day! :yahoo:

I waved you on past me as I figured you had been on this road before...you certainly knew your way around. If I hadn't forgotten to charge up my SENA unit :lol: the night before, Russ and I would have been talking alot more about you - that;s for sure!

Not even Old Michael could photoshop anything into that day's adventure that wasn't pure clean motorcycle riding bliss. I believe we had some fun traversing Skaggs Springs road that day! :yahoo:

I waved you on past me as I figured you had been on this road before...you certainly knew your way around. If I hadn't forgotten to charge up my SENA unit :lol: the night before, Russ and I would have been talking alot more about you - that;s for sure!
Actually that was my first time on that road, let alone two up so it was all I could do to keep up with that task master Exskibum! As far as photoshopping, no need, check this one out.

One caption that comes to mind is "OMG!!! You mean I might run into cows out here???!!!"

DSC_0330.jpg

Epilogue - I went with an Autocom. Very happy with performance of the system, the others I've tried, Chatterbox, Collett aren't even in the same league. Tried the Autocom out on the Big Sur RTE with 30+mph crosswinds, not one VOX issue! Complete with duplex ICS, this system is great! Yep, it has wires, but sometimes a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do. :rolleyes:

So AJ, how much would this Sena setup cost for Seth and I? Being a poor, old, destitute and penniless Retiree-I have to watch every red cent I have got; I'm eating dog food and using both sides of the toilet paper as it is! Would order from Alex/Cougar8000.
Don't know if anyone has already answered, but you can get a two-pack of the SMH10's for $250 from a multiple of sources, maybe better from Alex? If you want the earbud adapter it will cost some more per headset - the standard set comes set up for use with the in-helmet speakers.

It would actually be nice if they came with the earbud base as standard, then give you helmet speakers with the same mini-plug so you could pick speaker/earbud without having to pay more.

Before you all get too far along... :D

The Sena SMH10 headset is a nice unit IMHO. But if you try reaching the full level of audio integration offered by the current TOL wired units like Autocomm and Starcom, you must also use the new Sena SR10 hub unit which is MONO only. Hard to believe, but the damn thing really is mono bluetooth. So if you pipe music from your GPS through the SR10 and on to the Bluetooth headset of your choice (SMH10), your music will be freakin' mono!!!

This should be addressed by the SM10 which is due out shortly. It will give stereo music to both rider and passenger plus all the inputs for radar and aux radios and the like.

I'm doing the install of a 665 and dual SMH10 to replace a 550 and Autocom Super Pro AVI (watch the classifieds) today. The autocom/zumo 550 is a limited combo, mostly due to the zumo's old school Bluetooth. The XM and GPS are ok but integrating a phone becomes a damn disaster, hence the upgrade to the 665. I picked the SMH10 for a number of reasons. I feel it gives me everything the Autocom does plus a ton of flexibility. I also could have bought the SMH10 for what I have invested in Autocom adapters alone. The SM10 should give every option the Autocom does, I just don't need it right now.

The Sena dual kit is pretty neat. Whatever mic/earbug kit you use stays in the helmet and the Bluetooth module mounts separately outside the helmet. The nice part about the dual kit is the flexibility. I seldom ride with a passenger or other people for that matter but if I want I can throw the second kit in any helmet in 10 minutes so I can communicate with whomever I choose. That person can tie their own phone/music to their helmet and away we go. I can also set up the second module to match the first for a long distance ride, if you are worried about battery life this is the cure. Just change the module and keep going, charge the other unit in the tank bag. I could also set up the second kit to only my phone, then pop that module on my helmet and go ride another bike. I still have my phone, music from the phone, nav from the phone if I need it, just by changing the module. None of this is easy if even possible with the Autocom which is why mine will be for sale soon. I spent 279 on the dual kit and could buy another for less then the cost of the Autocom.

Did somebody mention no wires?