What is the problem with manufacturers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you use earbud speakers with the Sena headset? That is a must for me.
Yes. That's how I use mine. Wouldn't want to use in helmet speakers. I've tried it and they suck.
So AJ, how much would this Sena setup cost for Seth and I? Being a poor, old, destitute and penniless Retiree-I have to watch every red cent I have got; I'm eating dog food and using both sides of the toilet paper as it is! Would order from Alex/Cougar8000.

Not sure what you mean, but you can link to 3 or 4 other units (don't remember for sure). You can only, but you can definitely link to more than one other unit. When Patch and I rode to NC, we were linked to each other, Fubar and Cougar8000 for our rides.
HRZ, I have to ask this question! I can understand you wanting to talk to Don and Alex, that makes perfect sense to me. But why in the Holy Hell would you want to talk to that Patch guy? Dude, that is exactly the same as talking to a pet rock! Verdad, ese!

Is it true the Sena comms are only capable of 1 bike to another or rider to pillion? Thats what makes the Scala G4 great is the ability to link 3 bikes or 4 rider/pillions. I usually ride with 2 other riders/buddies and the 3-way will be needed. I hear the Scala G9 is due out this Summer with the ability to add 8 riders in full duplex. https://blog.revzilla...9-powerset.html
Not sure what you mean, but you can link to 3 or 4 other units (don't remember for sure). You can only talk to one at a time, but you can definatley link to more than one other unit. When Patch and I rode to NC, we were linked to eachother, Fubar and Cougar8000 for our rides.
HI,

Do you use that boom mic shown with the SMH-10 with your full face helmet?

Yes. That's how I use mine. Wouldn't want to use in helmet speakers. I've tried it and they suck.
Well Mister Armadillo fucker, that's one thing we agree on. Thanks for the info. I might have to try one of these things someday. I have been happy with Autocom, but their shit is pricey!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you all get too far along... :D

The Sena SMH10 headset is a nice unit IMHO. But if you try reaching the full level of audio integration offered by the current TOL wired units like Autocomm and Starcom, you must also use the new Sena SR10 hub unit which is MONO only. Hard to believe, but the damn thing really is mono bluetooth. So if you pipe music from your GPS through the SR10 and on to the Bluetooth headset of your choice (SMH10), your music will be freakin' mono!!!

Helmet speakers work fine for me for conversation. I haven't found earbuds that are comfortable for me within my price range so speakers are good enough for what I need them for.

I'm really hazy on bluetooth connectivity.

So if you have a bluetooth headset, like the Sena SMH10 or SMH5, I can see that you can connect to your bluetooth phone OK. If you add the SR10 radio adapter, can you connect to that at the same time as the bluetooth phone or does the phone have to be routed through the radio adapter?

If you are wanting to talk to another rider does he or she have to have the same brand headset or can, say, a Sena talk to a Scala rider?

Is there a significant advantage to bluetooth V3.0 (SMH5) compared to V2.1 (SMH10)?

Thanks.

7X

Ok...No idea what Ashe is talking about with the mono sound, but must be some different connection I don't have. My Sena is stereo and sounds great from my 660. The problem I have is, I don't know how I'm gonna eventually get a radar detector integrated. Is that the mono connector Jeff??

7xray, yes, the boom mic goes in the helmet. Its right below my mouth above the chin curtain. Its pretty unobtrusive, and gives good quality when talking to other riders.

I donno about your second question. I have my GPS bluetoothed to Sena and my phone bluetoothed to my GPS. I like it better that way 'cuz I can dial from the GPS or voice instead of just voice if I was connected to the Sena. Gives me more control.

Beemerdons, I think Patch and I paid just a little north of $360 for a dual set and the ear-bud clamp. The set came with 2 complete units and 2 chargers, so Patch has his and I have mine. Each set comes with the helmet speakers. We had to pay extra for the ear-bud clamps.

Call Alex. He'll hook you up. If you need his number, just call me.

As far as talking to Patch, I don't do it because I want to, I do it because I have to. He's so dumb, he woulda gotten lost if I hadn't guided him along the way.

Have fun boys...Spending money on this stuff is way easy.

After some more research I ordered the Sena SMH10 dual set. I like the option to add my own ear buds if wanted and like the ergos of it. Looks as if the most recent firmware version has added 3 way conferencing between 3 units/riders. The SMH5 unit seems to only have 400 meter range vs. the SMH10's 900 meter range.

Beemerdons, I think Patch and I paid just a little north of $360 for a dual set and the ear-bud clamp. The set came with 2 complete units and 2 chargers, so Patch has his and I have mine. Each set comes with the helmet speakers. We had to pay extra for the ear-bud clamps.
Just got mine off ebay for $299 free 2day shipping. What are the earbud clamps?

Just got mine off ebay for $299 free 2day shipping. What are the earbud clamps?
The units come with the helmet speakers ONLY. You have to buy the earbud clamp separately.

This was almost 2 years ago, so prices may be better, which would be nice as I need another unit for mt wife.

Just looked up Collett recently and it looks like they've resurfaced. A while back, their web page indicated that there were problems. Shortly after, the site had everything marked as out of stock and now it appears they are back to normal (whatever normal is). It might be worth a call to them before you order anything.

https://www.collett.mb.ca/
I just learned this last night as well. I've sent them an email to see what repairs would cost. Their customer service in the past hasn't been anywhere near good, but maybe they're reorganized and doing better this time around. Thanks for the info.

CAJW Old Buddy: As soon as you find a really good helmet to helmet communication system, please let your senile friend Papa Chuy know what it is. Before NAFO, I have to get a helmet to helmet system for my Son Seth and I. Seth gets so damn mad at me when we ride, he has perfect hearing and I cannot hear for shit. He will want to tell me something he feels is important and he becomes infuriated that I cannot understand him; I cannot blame him either, as I would not like that as a passenger pillion also!

When Miss Donna and I go riding together, it's a TOTAL hearing fiasco. We're both mid-sixties aged and we can't even begin to hear each other on any of my bikes. Post me or call me when you have a recommendation: [email protected] 480-440-4666
Don, You got it Buddy! I'm not done doing research and will let you know what I settle on for the NAFO trip.

Does a SENA system have what you need?

I know some people pair to phones and GPS with that crap. I just use it as a rider/rider intercom...or a rider/pillion intercomm.

SENA
Thanks Mark for the link. I'd looked at those and just don't have the flexibility I need, but the folks that have them seem to really like em'.

If you're talking about someone developing a product to your specs, I think that's a long shot, at best. First, you're talking about engineering, when, as you've already discovered, what we do nowadays to "satisfy" consumer demand is marketing. Second, it'd have to be made in China to have a sufficient profit margin, and well, I know we'd both be wishing for the good ole days of "made in USA" quality.
Rich - My rant was more of a wish list, but if a guy knew a guy who new a guy, ya never know. Someone maybe down in their basement right now with a soldering iron and circuit boards making my dream system. :rolleyes: What amazes me is the stellar reviews some moto mags & websites give these units and they are absolutely crap. I know the almighty advertising dollar dictates what they say, but geez, some of these reviewers must have very low standards. I almost didn't put the USA origin wish on the list as I know that is pretty much a pipe dream, but then we gotta dream.

For the most part, the Sena does hit most of the OPs design parameters, but I can't think of any one device that hits them all...
Yes, sadly some come close, but nothing I've found so far hits the mark. However, the Autocomm sounds like a nice system, but I'd have to learn more about it and tell the kids they'll need to support me in my old age after buying it!

I have been to the Sir Richard graduate school of Autocom, and tuition is about $1000. You can have it all, but it's going to cost you. I use an Autocom Pro AVI control unit that mixes radar, GPS/XM, digital music (iPhone), iPhone via BT in the GPS and a Kenwood TK3101 radio. I happen to input that to the helmet using a coiled wire cable with a headset 3.5mm monitor plug in it. So this meets all the specs you listed. If I were to add this BT module, all of that could be delivered to the helmet without the wire.

The best current deal for a comparable setup will set you back $389 for the newest Autocom Pro Automatic receiver with two headsets, stereo leads and some other nice stuff. ,plus that $179 BT module, and you will need some fancy priced isolation leads for the radar and GPS at about $100 each. The Kenwood radios vary in price from 60-120 each depending on the deal you find, and you might get a blade antenna to go with it,. and I strongly recommend the $80 PTT for the radio.

Once the bugs are worked out the system is simply spectacular in performance. Channels are muted in priority to give the telephone first priority, radar second, Bike to Bike radio third, GPS fourth and music fifth. The system can run on full VOX and does s decent job, but I have found the bike to bike communications are much better with a PTT (push to talk). This frees up the telephone to be VOX without transmitting to other bikes. This system ties all the components together using cables, but with the BT module can deliver the sound to the helmet wirelessly.and in stereo. Contrary to some discussion above, Autocom can be purchased and supported in the U.S. but there is very little competition, and even used components are expensive.
Tom, this info is the most intriguing so far! I'm going to have to spend some time on the phone with you and Richard to see if this will work for me and then call the bank.

in my experience, all the systems i've tried suck.

looking as well... i will have to try the Sena SMH10 .
Glad it's not just me!

Is it true the Sena comms are only capable of 1 bike to another or rider to pillion? Thats what makes the Scala G4 great is the ability to link 3 bikes or 4 rider/pillions. I usually ride with 2 other riders/buddies and the 3-way will be needed. I hear the Scala G9 is due out this Summer with the ability to add 8 riders in full duplex. https://blog.revzilla...9-powerset.html
As I understand it, the Sena works with up to 4 units, but only one two way conversation can take place at once. I.E. if 4 units are paired, only unit 1&2 can talk. If unit 1 wants to tell unit 3 & 4 the same thing, such as stop at the next gas station, unit 1 has to toggle between the 3 units separately to do so. A group broadcast is not possible if I've read the Sena reviews correctly. The only units that I've found that can broadcast to a large group all at once is via FRS or GMRS or the 900 MHz Collett units I have used.

Before you all get too far along... :D

The Sena SMH10 headset is a nice unit IMHO. But if you try reaching the full level of audio integration offered by the current TOL wired units like Autocomm and Starcom, you must also use the new Sena SR10 hub unit which is MONO only. Hard to believe, but the damn thing really is mono bluetooth. So if you pipe music from your GPS through the SR10 and on to the Bluetooth headset of your choice (SMH10), your music will be freakin' mono!!!
Deal breaker. Thanks for pointing that out, Jeff.

Thanks to all for the discussion and the Autocomm looks like it's worth investigating. Hopefully if someone learns a little more about 2 way systems from my rant, then my work here is done.

My understanding is BT 2.1 is mono and 3.0 is stereo. As for the Scala G4, a three-way conversation is possible full duplex, four-way is supposed to be as well, but I haven't tried that. One has to remember, Bluetooth is a very flawed technology, so one day it works, others it can be finicky. Some are very happy with the Sena units, and I'd like to try one sometime. Others who have had both Sena and Scala G4 give the edge to the G4.

CAJW... had an old Autocom (still have it) and loved it except for the wires and speaker response. Great mikes and noise cancellation. Spent a lot of loot on BT stuff, and now that more BT options are out there for Autocom, I'd gladly spend the bucks so I could hook up wireless headsets and FRS/GMRS, etc. as you want. If you want to speak to an Autocom guru, call Kieth at Tulsa Truck Center 918-446-2245. You tell him what you want to do and he'll tell you what you need (and he'll sell it to you too).

I ran an Autocomm wired system for a few years, until the jacks wore out on the base station. I have since swapped over to the Sena SMH-10, with the ear set clamp. Recently, the 3.5mm jack for my earbuds wore out (I use it daily), and I have the clamp back to Sena for a warranty replacement. In the meantime, I have been using the standard speaker clamp. I have had two issues with the speakers: 1) Fidelity; they are lacking on high frequency response 2) Comfort; getting them close enough to my ears for "best" sound quality means that they are pressing on my ears under my helmet. For longer rides, I would have incredibly sore ears due to the constant pressure. I actually have another issue right now, but is related to the custom ear plugs I got as a freebie bonus when I had my earbuds done; the left ear plug doesn't seal as well as the right, so it throws the stereo balance off. My replacement clamp is supposed to be here Monday, and I plan on purchasing a spare clamp as well.

For the most part, the Sena does hit most of the OPs design parameters, but I can't think of any one device that hits them all...
I use the Sena SMH10 like Wheatie mentioned - we were able to connect and chat "most" of the time when he was on his Cali tour last spring. I've got the Bell Star helmet and there are nice little cutouts in the shell absolutely perfect for fitting the Sena speakers. I wear the Howard Leight Max 33DBa earplugs as well, and with everything turned up max I can hear the music and phone quite well, while cutting down the road noise to a very low level.

I recommend the unit highly, and with a good helmet setup the speakers are loud enough and thin enough so that you don't have to go the earbud route which is tiresome after a few hours (know this from ear-bud type noise cancelling phones on trans-Pac flights).

I have not tried the SR10 yet - that's next on the list, and I'll be happy to post up a review once I get the whole rig set up.

Found a website with videos showing various bluetooth installations and operations include the Scala, Sena and Chatterbox.

RevZilla

Its still not clear to me how how a BT phone and the SR10 would work together but it looks like it would.

Sena claims it can do 4 pairings and 3-way conferencing.

I still can't tell if you can talk to other manufacturers units.

Hey, its getting toward spring up here. Yea!

7x

Found a website with videos showing various bluetooth installations and operations include the Scala, Sena and Chatterbox.

RevZilla

Its still not clear to me how how a BT phone and the SR10 would work together but it looks like it would.

7x
I don't know for sure...but I think Senas talk to Senas, and others talk to others. I think intercomms are MFR specific.

But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RevZilla

7x
I knew there was something I forgot...none of the units will let someone talk to another brand BT unit. They are proprietary! If your buddies don't have the same brand unit you do, you can't talk to them.

Sorry!

So AJ, how much would this Sena setup cost for Seth and I? Being a poor, old, destitute and penniless Retiree-I have to watch every red cent I have got; I'm eating dog food and using both sides of the toilet paper as it is! Would order from Alex/Cougar8000.
you can get a complete set of two headset/mic/speaker units for $250. Earbuds would be extra if you go that route.

RevZilla

7x
The SR10 gives you a way to tap a GMRS radio into your SMH10 (or 5 I guess) headset. The radio is hardwired into the SR10, then the SR10 connects via BT to the SMH10. My understanding is that the SMH10 can pair to more than 1 bluetooth device at a time and that's how I plan to use it. Pair the iPhone to the SMH10, then pair the SR10 which has the radio connected.

If this setup actually works, you'll have the possibility to chat with up to 3 additional SMH10 units (line of sight limited, 1 at a time), talk via cell phone (presuming you've got coverage), and talk via GMRS which gives you the group chatter that's pretty popular.