YFO 2017 - Yosemite and Beyond - June 1-3, 2017

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob - we gulf coasters will happily head northwest and cut you guys off at the pass - maybe somewhere in Texas. For good measure, we can mosey into some saloon and wash the dust down.
Waiting 12 weeks for SEOR has been pretty torturous. This might throw me over the edge, man....
While I would like to take the route I mentioned that was said a little tongue in cheek. Setting up meeting points along the way makes more sense. Amarillo would be a good meeting point.

As for looking forward to trips I feel the same, however I am really looking forward to October of 2017 as I will be retiring from the power generation business. I will find something to do, but it will involve a lot less stress than the current job.

Let's see...Head north towards Ohio to collect Joe, west to Chicago to collect Marty, South to Louisiana to collect RFH, Pops and Pants and then head west to Cali! Lisa, you can come down and leave with me from the house. That would be epic!
In, fo sho !

I am about to call Pop and discuss this. I bet you folks already know what he is going to say. tell him about the trip we're doing next year.
Fixed it for ya!

IN
hyper.gif

Only two questions?

Whose got the get out of jail free cards?

and

Will they share?

Well, in the spirit of the original intent of this thread, what does everyone think about accommodations for Yosemite? Are we to camp or lodge? Either way, the commitment has to be well in advance. Also to consider is the historical opening dates of campgrounds if camping is considered. Most are middle to late June. Trying to get an idea of lodging costs, but the system is not cooperating right now.

I was thinking Y might mean Yosemite and I figured FO was FJR owners but since this is such a strange crowd, logic does not always work.
Like now for example. Logic tells me that in August of 2017 my beloved father will be 72 years old. Both of my grandfathers died at 72. I cannot imagine...

I am about to call Pop and discuss this. I bet you folks already know what he is going to say.
I fully expect him to be there. Remember, he was the one that asked you "When did we start squatting to pee?"

I will make it official for Pops. He is in!! Andrew is a maybe!! Lol

BTW, I was in Yosemite last year in the truck with my son. The traffic sucked, but we were there @ August 1st. We stayed outside the park at a bed and breakfast for 230 dollars per night. The scenery was unimaginable to both of us prior to attending. We stayed mostly in the main parts of the park, but I bet the perimeter roads and secondary ones outside will be just perfect for some FJRing!

The Big Texan is 942 miles from my house. I will meet you there!!

Josh - having seen you eat this past weekend, you just might be able to horse down that free 72 oz steak!!!

Bob - great point. I think uncharacteristically, better commit early to accommodations or we will be ninja camping in some farmer's back 40.

I can't seem to post a video directly here, but here's a link to a NPS video about getting campsites:

I only do credit card camping...
wink.png
I'll research hotels and see what I can find in the area... there are nice hotels that won't break the bank outside of the park so we can ride in for the day... there are also some other stellar roads in the area including 49/the Little Dragon, Tollhouse, Sheman's Pass, Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP just to name a few. I propose we all land in the same place on Wed, May 31, 2017, and then go into the park the next day possibly two... sound good?

P.S. If you are planning on camping, definitely the earlier the better to reserve your spot. I may have a connection for that. Stay tuned! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya Tyler. I just started with the Yosemite accommodations. They need the most lead time. I am all for "credit card camping" too. I plan on having the trailer and do a combination of real camping and "credit card camping" for the whole trip. This trip will all be on the bike and I plan to take plenty of time to sniff the flowers along the way and back!
coolsmiley02.gif

I hear ya Tyler. I just started with the Yosemite accommodations. They need the most lead time. I am all for "credit card camping" too. I plan on having the trailer and do a combination of real camping and "credit card camping" for the whole trip. This trip will all be on the bike and I plan to take plenty of time to sniff the flowers along the way and back! :coolsmiley02:
Only 400 miles per day this time? Wifey should be happy about that. :D

I hear ya Tyler. I just started with the Yosemite accommodations. They need the most lead time. I am all for "credit card camping" too. I plan on having the trailer and do a combination of real camping and "credit card camping" for the whole trip. This trip will all be on the bike and I plan to take plenty of time to sniff the flowers along the way and back!
coolsmiley02.gif
Only 400 miles per day this time? Wifey should be happy about that.
biggrin.png
I have the RDL now. 500+ days are no problem.

Just perusing a bit and found this place:

https://www.evergreenlodge.com/

Looks like it might be a great place to stay for outdoor campers as well as credit card campers and they have an onsite restaurant, etc. I can give the events manager a call and see what kind of group rate, if any, might be available. B)

When my kids were kids, my family camped in Yosemite Valley for about a week or so almost every October for years. Even that late in the year, and that long ago, you had to get online long before your trip to be sure of securing a spot in one of the valley floor campgrounds (or maybe even to hope to secure one). In other words, camping inside the park in the summer is very problematic. Best shot is to plan on staying outside the park and ride in (early) for day rides. The lineup at the entrances can get very backed up and slow too, as in all the popular National Parks at peak season. The traffic inside can be slow and heavy too. If it wasn't about the most gorgeous spot in the world, it almost wouldn't be worth all the trouble. But it is.

p.s. There are beautiful parts of the park that can be enjoyed from the road and not as crowded as the valley floor, like Glacier Point and Tuolumne Meadows, but speed limits in the park are low, and there's always the traffic. It's something to see, for sure, but the really good riding is outside the park. Lots of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just perusing a bit and found this place:
https://www.evergreenlodge.com/

Looks like it might be a great place to stay for outdoor campers as well as credit card campers and they have an onsite restaurant, etc. I can give the events manager a call and see what kind of group rate, if any, might be available.
cool.png
That place looks nice. One catch for camping, though; no cooking at the campsites. If I can't cook at my campsite I would stay in a cabin. Good location for early access to the park. Definite possibility.

On another note, I moved my trailer hitch from the '07 to the 15. I am already making preparations for this trip!
grin.gif