Homebrew Rear Feejah Fendah Extendah

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Did a search. Couldn't find any discussion about making or buying a rear fender extender. Lots'a talk about Fender Eliminators, or under-tails for the hot-damn, sporty guys. But nothing for those of us old, curmudgeonly, fuddy duddies that (have to) ride through some cruddy-assed road conditions early in the season and want to keep their rear ends clean (obligatory perverse joke set-up for BJ and Odot).

2 weeks ago I rode my FJR around the southern New Hampshire area, sticking to the bigger secondary roadways that get more sun and have less less snow melt and frost heaveage. But at the end of the day my poor Feej was a salt spray splattered mess requiring immediate corrective action to keep the saline spray from eroding its tender parts!!

I had seen the adjustable fender from SpeedZoneAhead on eBay and thought to my self, "Hey self, that doesn't look like it would be all that tricky to make something cheap inexpensive to use on the back of my Bass Boat Blue Baby, especially for the mud season. Well, without further ado, here it is:

Clipboard.jpg

When you ride in all seasons, rain or shine (or snow) you need a little extra "protection"

100_3930.jpg

My version of the Feejah Fendah Extendah is different from Speedzoneaheads in a couple of ways. First, I think theirs is made of a thicker, stiffer, harder plastic material. Mine is made from the cut-out side of a black plastic trash barrel (purchased from Home Despot). I opted to keep mine the full width of the bottom of the stock fender all the way down. The SZA unit tapers, reducing coverage a little for the sake of appearances. Also, note the ultra chic FJR Forum sticker!! Thanks Axeman!

After cobbing this thing together, I took the bike out for a few hours in the relatively hot weather today (50's) and lo and behold, it works!!

Not sure I'll keep it on there all year round, but it's pretty quick to remove or install.

note - follow-up from 3 years later. The same fendah extenda is still on, (though I have replaced the sticker with a 2011 NERDS decal, and reinstalled the stock reflector I was missing back there) and I do leave it there all year round. Function trumps form once again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a black motocross dirt bike front fender laying around (available from Dennis Kirk) and cut the front portion off and self tapping screwed it to the rear fender. Painted the screw heads flat black first. Very functional and it's grown on me as I don't like having a bike exactly like everyone else and got tired of the rainy road grime obscuring the rear tail light during the many rides in the rain down here in the deep south.

3134530703_7032087184.jpg

3134530705_7e90ab0986.jpg

see ya in the funny papers,

Mike in Nawlins'

The first one I made was cut out from an office trash can. Here it is in post #9. It worked well, but after some very high speed riding during WFO 2007 I found mot of it missing when I returned from the ride. I made a replacement out of some more substantial plastic that I cut from a case that computer parts are shipped in.

Thanks for the award nomination guys! ;)

I was very surprised by how well it protected the rear area of the tail-light, trunk rack, etc. Nary a spot of spray back there. A little fine spray hit the pipes and bottom of the saddlebags, but nothing much on the tail light.

I don't know why I couldn't find your post Geezer. I searched for it, honest I did!! :rolleyes: But that's exactly what I used to make mine. A rectangular black plastic office type trash can. It was ~ $5 at the Home Depot and cut into shape very easily. Plus I still have the other side of the barrel to make a second one.

The flexible plastic gets stiff emough to not flap around once it's curved into the shape of the rear fender. I used the two screws that were already there (from the missing rear reflector) and added two more up under the license plate area. I had to cut two slits to accommodate the stiffening fins under the fender, so I think I'll add a 3rd screw under the plate in the center, to hold the section down between those fins.

I'll take another picture of the unmounted mudflap as a pattern when I do that. I wanted to make sure the damn thing worked well before I posted anything here.

I don't know why I couldn't find your post Geezer. I searched for it, honest I did!!
Probably 'cause I called it 'fenda extenda' :lol:

The flexible plastic gets stiff emough to not flap around once it's curved into the shape of the rear fender. I used the two screws that were already there (from the missing rear reflector) and added two more up under the license plate area.
I only used the two existing screws, and I added the original reflector. It may have been the weight of that reflector that made it waggle and break off. I did say that it was a very fast ride when I lost most of mine. :) It happened the day that Charlie Hoss and I went out to take a look at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Probably 'cause I called it 'fenda extenda' :lol:
That actually may have been the problem. I searched on "Rear" and "Fender". BTW, I know that is how they actually spell it. I wouldn't want to create any trademark infringements with my trash can deluxe conversion... ;)

It happened the day that Charlie Hoss and I went out to take a look at the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Aha! So it was all Charlie's fault!!

As previously promised, here is a picture of my trash can mud flap:

2246872060098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

You can see the two slots that you have to cut to allow the flap to sit flat inside the fender with the internal ribs. Also note the shape is flared toward the top to fit the shape of the fender.

As previously promised, here is a picture of my trash can mud flap:
2246872060098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

You can see the two slots that you have to cut to allow the flap to sit flat inside the fender with the internal ribs. Also note the shape is flared toward the top to fit the shape of the fender.
Fred,

Looks good. Your ingenuity is spot on!

What is the total length and then the length that extenda-s south of the stock fender?

W/o this were you getting the rooster tail stuff flung around or more a sideways spray on the cans and underside of the bags?

Lee

Thanks.

The total length of the flap is 13". The amount that sticks out is 7".

As you can see I drilled 2 sets of the bottom holes and decided to use the lower set (less sticking out).

Without the flap I was getting road spooge all over the tail light and GIVI trunk and mount any time I rode in the rain.

With it I only get some light spray to the sides, on the exhaust cans and bottoms of the saddlebags. The taillight and trunk stay clean.