Doug/bugnatr v. Deer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Doug sent me the following email and asked me to share it with y'all as he's been a little preoccupied with everything and was having issues posting photos. Keep healing up, Bugger... let us know if there is anything we can do! :)

Dear family and friends. On Monday Sept 17 while on a motorcycle trip to see Mt. St. Helens in Washington state around 11 am I had a small deer run full speed out of the trees from my left side and hit me while I was riding at 55 mph. I was with a fellow rider (Dustin) and he went to a hill to try his cell phone while I was taking pictures.
Here's the story: I never saw the little beastie (my eyes were looking farther up the road) until it was a foot from being in front of me. By the way it was mangled I suspect I hit it in the mid section. Upon impact the bike and I went down on our left side with the deer's momentum knocking the bike over. I do remember all of the crash, there was a bang with the initial impact then I hit the pavement hard on my left side. As I am sliding down the road I remember advise I was given about going loose land not tense up so I did this as I believe I did tumble a couple time- things were happening real fast at this point. As I came to rest I remember seeing a huge cloud of dust from the bike as it slid along the edge of the road. A few moments later Dustin saw what happened in his mirror as he was ahead of me. He came back to me and I just laid on the road for a bit to check out my body. You can see in the first picture where I came to rest in the middle of the road by where my helmet and glove are laying. We were on a road without much traffic-whew!

At this point the adrenaline was kicking in and other than sore ribs and ankles I was able to walk about a bit and take pictures. The one of me is a picture of sure bliss to be alive and standing. There is no doubt in my mind that God was watching out for me, the top quality gear I wear from head to toe including a full face helmet, gloves, boots plus the Kevlar riding suit that zip the pants and jacket together are what saved me from a much worse out come.

A very nice Canadian couple drove up and offered to take me to the nearest hospital for a check up. When we came to Carson Wa. we stopped at the local market to see of there was a medical clinic nearby. A girl who had stopped in to buy something was a EMT and started the initial check up. Soon an ambulance came and they did a field check on me and it was determined I had nothing broken and no head or neck damage so I was able to sign release forms and not go to the hospital. A sheriff who was on scene took me to a really fancy lodge where he and Dustin helped me and my gear to the room. Also while at the crash site a fellow rider on BMW stopped to help, he offered to help in anyway and left his contact info.

By Tuesday evening I had arranged to rent a car at the Portland Airport and Ed (the BMW guy) was kind enough to pick me up and take me to the towing yard where you can see the bike's damage . It was sad to see such a great machine ( I had close to 90,000 miles on it and we had some great trips together) lying in the wrecking yard but I sure don't want it back. Then he gave me a ride to the airport where I picked up the car and drove home. After a very long embrace with my wonderful wife I was home, very sore but oh so happy.

I went to my doctor yesterday as the rib pain was worse, all is good - no broken parts just real sore. My ankles are swollen but do not hurt as much as the first couple days and the doctor gave me a script for some vicadin plus a tetanus shot due to some road rash. Gayle dropped me off at our favorite pub yesterday about 5 while she picked up my meds. It was so nice to see my local friends, a couple of the guys who also survived deer strikes were there so we bonded a bit. Also I had plenty of well wishers give me some love while I was there - aren't good friends wonderful!
IMG36871-M.jpg

IMG36861-M.jpg

IMG3708-M.jpg

IMG37001-M.jpg

I dunno, Doug -- you sure don't look right in that last photo. Glad you're in such good shape after a 55 mph get off from an impact. Heal up fast, but milk that sympathetic loving you're getting from Gayle for as long as you can. ;)

I dunno, Doug -- you sure don't look right in that last photo. Glad you're in such good shape after a 55 mph get off from an impact. Heal up fast, but milk that sympathetic loving you're getting from Gayle for as long as you can. ;)
Thanks Rich, I haven't look right in years :lol: That last picture is one of pure adrenaline and happiness to be alive! Yes I am enjoying the love from my wonderful wife- she's the best!

Thanks Rich, I haven't look right in years :lol: That last picture is one of pure adrenaline and happiness to be alive! Yes I am enjoying the love from my wonderful wife- she's the best!
Brother Rich, I have to fully agree with Doug; Bugnatr didn't look quite right two years ago at SW-FOG, he is just getting goofier looking the older he gets Hombre! Diego, I'm glad you're A-OK!

IMAG0351.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Douger Bugger ---- really glad you came out of it pretty much unscathed :) :) , the FJR -- can you say 2013 model :unsure: Get lots of rest our friend and heal up quick.

Rog n Deb

Deb sends these XXXX :)

That road has typical Oregon chip seal texture...like shark's teeth. Glad the gear kept you safe, but sorry you had to test it.

See you soon, and wishing you a replacement FJR

Happy to see and hear that you made it through this and for sure you will get some money to buy a new bike. My two crashes this year with my two 05's, each were very close to being totaled. The first one in Feb. we adjusted some numbers to bring the repair bill below 4,600 cause that was the maximum payout before totaling the bike. The one in July was 4,250 and just made it under the totaling number. Smart move to throw the bike down on the right side too, as that will add another 1,400 min to the repair bill, 2,200 (plus or minus) if you left the side bag on while doing it. Looks like a 7,000 repair and therefore a new bike will be in order.
yahoo.gif

Bad thing is that it will take another 5-7 years to reach 100K with a new bike to join that elite club of 100K bikes.

Just think, the Volcano Ride is this Saturday. I think I will stop at your crash site and say a small prayer for your recovery and for new stuff to help the recovery process along. You do look a little dazed.
wink.gif

Bad thing is that it will take another 5-7 years to reach 100K with a new bike to join that elite club of 100K bikes.
Luckily, he's still here to take on that challenge with a new bike. ;)

I dunno, Doug -- you sure don't look right in that last photo.
He may have been reacting to the deer guts all over him... peeYEW!

Doug Bug -

Glad to hear you are home and snuggly. Sorry about the bike, it was a nice one! Scratch one deer. <_<

Hey, I actually almost called on Wednesday, September 12th on our way up to Sierra City but we were headed to our reservation at the campground and needed to get set up before dark. No Singular cell service up near Downeyville(WTF?) and only Verizon which none of us had.

In our previous communication here with PMs, you seemed intent on meeting the cluster somewhere on 395 Thursday heading toward a Rueben sandwich in Oregon, so we just figured you were busy and we'd miss you this trip. Sorry, a meeting rather than our un-meeting may have changed your fate?

Water is now under the bridge (but the fishing is still good ;) ) so be good and stay alive until your next ride. :clapping:

THANK YOU for all the well wishes. We sure have a great group of folks on the forum.

I did stand next to the KTM today and it felt good but I won't be riding for a while with all the bruises.

A Wing maybe in the future.... :unsure:

I still think we should have a local deer hunter meet for dinner after you are feeling better. Meet halfway in Auburn? Is there a steakhouse around here which serves Venison?
tongue.gif

I still think we should have a local deer hunter meet for dinner after you are feeling better. Meet halfway in Auburn? Is there a steakhouse around here which serves Venison?
tongue.gif
Well, there's a meat market/butcher shop on Lincoln Way by the Russell Road overpass across I-80 that sells exotic meats, including venison, but I don't know of a restaurant that serves it regularly. Bootleggers or Latitudes might on occasion, and would probably be able to tell you if anyone else had it. Hard to top the Auburn Alehouse in Old Town Auburn and their menu for the occasion, though.

Hope both of you are healed up and on two wheels again quickly.

tongue.gif
I know the new Dingus McGees in Auburn has alligator and we could pretend it was Venison.

An RTE to eat Deer just sounds a bit creepy. :lol:

Latest posts