Has anyone received a recall notice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, everyone.
From these responses, I get the impression that there's no "active" process that Yamaha uses to deal with these situations. They leave it in the dealer's hands to respond to the bulletin. I.E., if the dealer is proactive with good customer service skills, they will contact the buyers - if not, then it's up to the buyer to deal with it.

Ya know, it's kind of like buying a lawnmower in that regard, isn't it? (asbestos underwear on- this statement for the benefit of Yamaha corporate)

So - this means that I'm going to contact a dealer OTHER than the one I purchased Wonky at.

Based upon other member's experiences with dealers local to me, I'm going to call Yamaha of Cucamonga for this once I return from WFO5.

Does anyone out there have access to a copy of the tech bulletin? Oh Tony .... ?
I have it, but I haven't a clue as to how to post it. It's a .pdf file................

Thanks, everyone.

From these responses, I get the impression that there's no "active" process that Yamaha uses to deal with these situations. They leave it in the dealer's hands to respond to the bulletin. I.E., if the dealer is proactive with good customer service skills, they will contact the buyers - if not, then it's up to the buyer to deal with it.

Ya know, it's kind of like buying a lawnmower in that regard, isn't it? (asbestos underwear on- this statement for the benefit of Yamaha corporate)

So - this means that I'm going to contact a dealer OTHER than the one I purchased Wonky at.

Based upon other member's experiences with dealers local to me, I'm going to call Yamaha of Cucamonga for this once I return from WFO5.

Does anyone out there have access to a copy of the tech bulletin? Oh Tony .... ?
I have it, but I haven't a clue as to how to post it. It's a .pdf file................

Thanks, Tony !

Open up the file in Adobe - then click on 'File' then 'Save as text'. This will give you a .txt file of the bulletin, then simply cut and paste it into this post

I spoke with my dealer yesterday and she didn't know what I was talking about but looked up the service bulletin and ordered up the part. She told me it was "costing us" $250.00 for the part and will take 2 hours to install. You know how everything at the chinese place is 10 minit....everything at this dealer is 2 hours.

I called my dealer today too. They did not know there was a repair kit that had to be ordered. Funny thing is, I know this dealer sold 5 2006 FJR's and they will all need the fix, but I was told they were going to order 2 repair kits.... one for my bike. He did say it pays them 1 1/2 hours to make the repair. They will call me when the part gets here. :unsure:

The minute Honda comes out with a competing model....I'm out of here...

Whoa don't give up that easily. Find a dealer that is willing to take the time to work with you. I have worked at several motorcycle shops and can tell you they are all different when it comes to customer service.

The last Honda dealer I worked at I couldn't believe the complete disregard for the customer satisfaction. All they cared about was the bottom line. :angry:

So take the time to find a dealer that doesn't suck and stick with it. Sometimes it helps to find the one person that actually cares about his/her job and wants to help you out. Keep dealing with that person. Honda makes some reliable bikes but i doubt they will ever build an FJR competitor....sorry ST owners!

Chris G

I don't have the FJR yet. I still have my ST1100. I have it serviced at my Yamaha dealer. He is very fair, honest and fast! Great shop!

CK

I can tell you I won't be getting mine fixed at this time. I'll wait until Yami does it right. There's no excuse for them not offering an exchange at the factory with correct mileage programed in just like every other OEM does.

I am just curious is there a time limit to this repair! Or can you simply let it go until say winter or possibly the next owner can have it done.

Tony, Thanks again for the update on this matter!!! :)

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just curious is there a time limit to this repair! Or can you simply let it go until say winter or possibly the next owner can have it done.

Todd
You can wait a while..but not years.

I am on the fence whether to get the fix and have an incorrect ODO sticker/DMV warning. If I ever sold the bike, would a purchaser prefer to have the paperwork show a replaced ODO, or the 17MPG permanent readout? Also, the thought of mechanics messing around with the instrument cluster while doing the fix, brings worry of a ham-fisted guy screwing something else up in the process.

Funny if the '06 models with the ODO error became collector's items like coins or stamps with errors down the road :D

I'll probably wait until winter to decide. Anybody want to chime in on good reasons NOT to get the fix done?

Just thinking out loud........

Anyone out there receive anything?
I stop by the dealer the other day and asked about it and they were no help, my local dealer really sucks anyway and I might have to take the bike out of town to have it fixed.

Chris G

I'd love to hear some details about what exactly gave rise to you negativism toward your dealer, then we'll compare, as I bet me dealer sucks more than yours!!!

Not one to pick nits...(yeah, sure :) )...but an honest question to those who (think) they know...

Obviously, as proven in the above graphic, the 17MPG issue has been addressed by a TSB from Yamaha.

My gut feeling is that a TSB is NOT the same thing as a recall. In my mind, a recall implies a safety or emissions issue, nothing more nothing less. A TSB is simply a notification to the dealers of any problem recognized by the factory as a manufacturing issue.

So to the question -- is this TSB a recall? Are you '06ers being notified by Yamaha or is the knowledge coming to you strictly by way of this forum?

'Cause I think the function, even when working right, is as close to useless as they can get? :rolleyes:

Good point Groo, and I basically agree. Though as someone else pointed out, it would be nice to see if a certain RPM, windshield position, body position, etc. was affecting MPG at times (low on fuel in nowheresville for example).

Part of my consideration is that I get pissed on general principle when I don't get everything I paid for. I probably just need to let it go because this IS a great bike, and somebody buying it will probably not care anyway.

But thanks for the feedback, helped ground me on how minor this whole thing is, compared to how much is spot on with this FJR.

Not one to pick nits...(yeah, sure :) )...but an honest question to those who (think) they know...
Obviously, as proven in the above graphic, the 17MPG issue has been addressed by a TSB from Yamaha.

My gut feeling is that a TSB is NOT the same thing as a recall. In my mind, a recall implies a safety or emissions issue, nothing more nothing less. A TSB is simply a notification to the dealers of any problem recognized by the factory as a manufacturing issue.

So to the question -- is this TSB a recall? Are you '06ers being notified by Yamaha or is the knowledge coming to you strictly by way of this forum?
This Forum. My dealer checked for bulletins 6 weeks ago or so but none at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dealer said it was not a recall but a customer satisfaction alert. The date on the bulletin is 23 June and my dealer found it as soon as I asked. She says they usually wait till a customer asks before they worry about these even though it says to contact customer. :)

Todd
This is a "Service per Bulletin" meaning it can be performed anytime. A recall is generally safety related and there is alway a letter sent along as well. As for the speedo being reprogrammed, can you imagine if the wrong speedos were sent back to the wrong dealers and they were installed and nobody noticed for a while? Or would you want the dealer to know how to re-program a digital speedo or have that information available to anyone at the dealership? This reduces the chance of fraud to almost nothing! I am not saying a dealer would run an odometer back, but I wouldn't want my employees to have the ability to do so or to have the knowledge to share it on the internet!

My opinion, take it or leave it!

Regards,

Tony

Todd
This is a "Service per Bulletin" meaning it can be performed anytime. A recall is generally safety related and there is alway a letter sent along as well. As for the speedo being reprogrammed, can you imagine if the wrong speedos were sent back to the wrong dealers and they were installed and nobody noticed for a while? Or would you want the dealer to know how to re-program a digital speedo or have that information available to anyone at the dealership? This reduces the chance of fraud to almost nothing! I am not saying a dealer would run an odometer back, but I wouldn't want my employees to have the ability to do so or to have the knowledge to share it on the internet!

My opinion, take it or leave it!

Regards,

Tony
Tony, I agree that it would be a poor choice to have any old tech out there with an odometer re-programming tool or ability.

All I'm asking is for Yamaha to use the same simple procedure Harley uses: You have an authorized dealer order a new cluster and specify the mileage to be programmed in AT THE FACTORY. Once it arrives at the authorized dealership, you swap it and keep a detailed paper trail. If HD can figure it out, anyone can. I would think the liability would be far less than the dicey sticker arrangement proposed for this fix.

Anyway, not trying to shoot the messenger, just venting.

Anyone out there receive anything?
I stop by the dealer the other day and asked about it and they were no help, my local dealer really sucks anyway and I might have to take the bike out of town to have it fixed.

Chris G

I'd love to hear some details about what exactly gave rise to you negativism toward your dealer, then we'll compare, as I bet me dealer sucks more than yours!!!
Well besides the fact that the owner has been charged with assaulting his customers and they had a salesman at one point that was on daily work release from jail there whole attitude just sucks.

When I stopped by to inquire about the MPG fix I was basically told they didn't know anything and in not so many words to F off. They weren't going to lift a finger and I would have to leave it for weeks to have it checked out.

I knew how they were before I even went in the store but since they are close I thought I had nothing to loose by stopping in. I will say i did order a small part from the parts department and they called when it came in and the transaction was painless. The small part was a push pin the dealer i bought the bike from left off.

Chris G

I had the service done last Friday - my dealer called me about the bulletin, ordered the part and called me when the part came in. As I needed new tires already = I scheduled both on Friday.

Work was done as promised and the functional instant MPG thing is a somewhat useful tool in about one situation.

if you are out in the boonies and have marginal fuel and a distant destination - it is useful to find the sweetspot balance between speed and fuel consumption. Of course once you know where that is... you may not need it any further - however, things change. Knowing that you have a head or tail wind and what it is doing to your mileage might be beneficial.

the negatives -

1. you will have to explain to the service department each time you go in that "no - my odo says it is 4000 miles, but I actually have 12,000 on the bike" (does not apply if you only have a few miles on your bike).

2. if you use any of the fuel/maintenance tracking programs - you will probably have to start all over from zero - as putting in an odo number less than your last one will cause a problem.

3. my dealer put the sticker for the mileage in my saddle bag - duh? He also did not put one in my book. I'm assuming that they noted it in their computer.

4. not sure if Yamaha uses a central database for all their bikes - like bmw does. You can look up the service history of any late model bmw at any dealership - (can be a benefit - or not)

Very cool thing -

I started a new set of tires with ZERO miles - easy way to keep up with the mileage, eh?

negative - when folks are looking at high mileage bikes at wfo - my bike will have something like 1000 miles on it - but at least I will be able to say --- 1000 miles and my second set of tires (and no flats).