GPS location: Pros & Cons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
I want to mount a GPS on my bike and can't decide on a location. It looks like it boils down to option#1 up high on the left handle bar or option#2 fancy mount down between the handlebars. What do you like like? What are the pros or cons to each location?

I want to mount a GPS on my bike and can't decide on a location. It looks like it boils down to option#1 up high on the left handle bar or option#2 fancy mount down between the handlebars. What do you like like? What are the pros or cons to each location?
I haven't tried the ram ball on the handle bars. I mounted it dead center between the bars,easy to see and operate. It is another one of those personal taste choices.

What type of GPS are you looking to mount?

Dave

I initially mounted my Zumo using the clutch reservoir mount. I've since moved it to a steering head mount. So, I've had it in both places.

My thoughts;

On the reservoir mount, it was up nice and high putting it nicely in either your peripheral vision or you could focus on it and use your peripheral vision to keep an eye on the road. It was easy to reach up there as well. I have an Audiovox cruse contol on my bike, though, and the control pad is right up there, so having the GPS mounted up there made it a bit difficult to get to the crusie control, uh, controls. And when the missus rides with me, she can see the GPS from the pillion position.

For the steering head mount, it's nice and low - out of the way of things. For me, it's more difficult to operate down there 'cause I've got a tank bag that'll easily accomodate a midget or two, so reaching over the tank bag is a PITA, and I really have to take my eyes off the road to do so. Compared to the clutch reservoir mount, the cruise control is easier to operate, but the missus can't see the GPS when it's on the steering head mount.

All in all, I like the steering head mount because it's nice and low and outta the way of things, but it's more difficult to operate. I like the reservoir mount because it puts the GPS up closer to my line of sight, it's easier to operate, but it gets in the way of the cruise control, uh, controls.

Hope this helps...

What type of GPS are you looking to mount?

Dave
I was thinking of a Garmin, but I'm not sure of the model. I was going to borrow one to see how I liked it.

A use a third option. My Garmin is mounted on a stem stand attached to a dash shelf. This allows me to keep the GPS up high so I can glance at it quickly so I don't take my eyes off the road for long. I can reach the buttons and screen easily with either hand even though I have t mounted on the left side of the shelf. And it doesn't move when the bars turn.

Even if you don't like a dash shelf, I recommend you mount it high enough that you can see it without having to look down from the road.

I got a garmin zumo 550 over a year ago from GPSONSALE.com. It came with the "full" package including mounts.

I used the clutch side mounting option. I always thought i would eventually change it to stem mount, but I have

come to really like the clutch side position. The pros would be: high visability, typing with clutch (left) hand is

the only way "On the Go" (Without Cruise), At night with glance down (Full Face Helmet) the GPS is there for easy

guidence yet it does not stare you in the face and ruin your night vision. Make sure when you shop for the unit,

you consider the "package" it comes with. The accessories can run you into some big $.

Just my 2 cents.

I forgot... the cons would be the vulnerablity of the unit in event of a accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you don't like a dash shelf, I recommend you mount it high enough that you can see it without having to look down from the road.
Excellent point.

Mount whatever gps you have near your line of sight so that you do not take your eyes off the road to read it.

I use a dash shelf and two ram mounts and run a garmin 2730 and 2820 side by side. Both are close enough to my line of sight that reading them is quick and easy.

I've got a full load of gear on my left handlebar so I have installed a reservoir mount stand on the right handlebar. It's convenient being able to use my left hand to diddle buttons while keeping my throttle and brake hand on the controls. This setup with a sun shield just clears my ahamaY windshield at full lock turns. It is up in my line of sight so I don't have to choose between watching traffic or the GPS which is good in busy locations like intersections.

GPS.jpg

I put a RAM ball in the mirror hole on the left side, mounted my 2610 (now 2720) Garmin there. Easy to reach and see. And although the ram ball unscrewed a quarter turn, nothing else happened that one time I went down with it mounted.

Mine's between the bars.

(Click on image for larger view)

More pictures here (first few relate to a previous Trophy install), write-up here (I have made minor alterations since).

I like it here because it's out of the way, generally out of bright sunshine (not always) and I don't like great ugly lumps sticking up.

Easy enough to operate ( I try not to do it on the move) but operation is affected if I have a tank bag on.

... I don't like great ugly lumps sticking up...
I'm generally a function over form person. If I were to prevent great ugly lumps from sticking up on my bike I would be unable to get on and ride it because I resemble that remark.

Excellent point.

Mount whatever gps you have near your line of sight so that you do not take your eyes off the road to read it.

I use a dash shelf and two ram mounts and run a garmin 2730 and 2820 side by side. Both are close enough to my line of sight that reading them is quick and easy.
Two GPSs...Hmmm. Split personality or paranoia - have to check one against the other?

Has anyone used the Verizon BB Storm with the VZ navigation ap and placing it under the clear plastic of a tankbag? It never rains here in Buffalo, but I may go to southern NH sometime.(great pic by the way)

I have had both, stem mount and left handlebar (reservoir) mount. I moved it to the left handlebar mount because I mount a video camera on my stem mount now. As previously mentioned, when on the stem mount it does take your eyes off the road for too long and I could see if you have a tankbag it would be hard to reach. I like the handlebar mount best. It took a little while to get use to because it is a lot closer on the handlebar mount. I went with the short arm and so glad I did. It gives me enough movement and isn't too long where it's up too high where it's blocking mt view in some way. In the images it looks like it would be in the way of your left mirror, but it's not, just the angle the pic was taken.

0222.jpg

0302.jpg

Problem with cell phone GPS system, is that if you are in an area where there isn't cell or data coverage, you get a nice dot showing you where you are, but without a map loaded behind that nice dot. So... yeah. Figured that issue out really quick one day up in the middle of nowhere... Of course none of us ride in the middle of nowhere right?

Getting this thread back on track...

I've used a GPS on the bars (left side - Triumph Trophy), a Techmount stem mount , and now a WynPro RamBone in front of the tank. I use the longest Ram arm available on the 5" 'Bone which puts it just under the speedo and tach in my line of sight, and well above the tank bag. That location is the best so far, but it still isn't ideal. I'd much prefer having the GPS screen up above the instruments, like I have the GPS mount bracket set-up on my V-strom, so you don't have to look down as far to see it.

The problem is, with the adjustable windshield of the FJR, the space above the gauges is very limited, especially so if you use a tuning block on your windshield. For now, I just try not to look at the GPS all that often and use the voice prompts through my Starcom1 to stay on track.