Retrofit 2005 clutch slave cylinder on 2007

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
There are other threads about the geometry changes between 05 and 06-07 clutches. Most everyone that has ridden both pre-06 and later models, quickly notices the "catchy" and stiff feel of the 06-07 clutch. Apparently Yamaha changed the slave cylinder diameter on the 06-07 to better match what was needed for the AE model. That resulted in a stiffer feel to the manual clutch and a more difficult clutch to finesse.

After reading the other posts dealing with simply swapping the new slave cylinder for an 05, I had a few concerns and wish to share them and my findings with the masses.

The 2005 part number is: 5JW-16381-00-00, and it's called "PUSH LEVER COMP".

Current retail price is $69.99.

I could not believe that Yamaha would actually sell a complete slave cylinder for less than $200, but they do!

There is NO gasket required. The slave cylinder seats into a cavity in the engine case which has a weep hole/notch cut in the mounting surface. So no gasket or sealant is required, nor should any be used.

Like most everything else in life, there is a trade off for the smoother and easier clutch operation. Most clutches, especially brand new ones, require full deflection of the clutch lever/master cylinder to fully disengage the clutch. If you are like me and use oversize grips or grip puppies, and have wide hands with short fingers, you probably run your levers in position-4 or position-5. Since the 05 slave cylinder is a larger diameter, it requires more travel of the master cylinder to produce the same distance/movement at the slave/clutch.

In the simplest of terms, you have to move the clutch lever farther to completely disengage the clutch. Yamaha may have recognized a need for greater slave cylinder travel and decided to make the change. Whatever!

If you have oversize grips and typically run your 06-07 clutch lever in position-5, then you should understand BEFORE ordering an 05 slave cylinder, that you probably won't be able to use a setting closer than position-4. There simply is not enough travel with the clutch lever pulled all the way against oversize grips to fully release the clutch. Finding neutral with the brakes locked can become a real challenge.

If you can live with lever position-4 and don't mind occasionally having to fully pull the clutch lever, then you will like the slave cylinder change. It smooths the clutch operation significantly and greatly reduces the pull force required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting your impressions.

Was it difficult to install?

Bill

So you are saying that I probably do not want/need to buy an 07 clutch slave cylinder to "update" my 03.....????? :yahoo: :yahoo: First time I have been dissuaded from spending $$$ on this motorcycle..... :)

Anyone know the bore sizes of the older vs. newer master,

and slave cyls.??

Original Clutch Master Cylinder ID = 14 mm

'06 Clutch Master Cylinder ID = 14 mm

Original Clutch Slave Cylinder ID = 33.6 mm

'06 Clutch Slave Cylinder ID = 29.6 mm

Clutch pressure plate stroke FJR13AE 2.8 mm (0.11 in) or more

Stroke not specified for earlier models.

Possibly the slave diameter was reduced to obtain a longer pressure plate stroke for the AE.

If you have oversize grips and typically run your 06-07 clutch lever in position-5, then you should understand BEFORE ordering an 05 slave cylinder, that you probably won't be able to use a setting closer than position-4. There simply is not enough travel with the clutch lever pulled all the way against oversize grips to fully release the clutch. Finding neutral with the brakes locked can become a real challenge.
So is the master cylinder/lever configuration different from -05 to 06+. If they are the same, are you sure you bled the system completely?

was that cost list or from Gary?

Thanks for the writeup.

Was it difficult to install?
It was extremely easy. Bleeding the clutch system took the most time. I was amazed at how dark and dirty the OEM fluid appeared. Japanese must think USA is impressed with their use of recycled fluids!

So is the master cylinder/lever configuration different from -05 to 06+. If they are the same, are you sure you bled the system completely?
was that cost list or from Gary?
As far as I know, the master cylinder is the same. It carries the same part numbers.

I listed RETAIL/LIST price. Your actual cost may/should vary. :)

I purchased locally because I get some discount and did not want to pay shipping for such a minor part.

So you are saying that I probably do not want/need to buy an 07 clutch slave cylinder to "update" my 03.....????? :yahoo: :yahoo: First time I have been dissuaded from spending $$$ on this motorcycle..... :)
Darn! I was hoping to make you a "real deal" on a slightly used clutch slave.

:rolleyes:

I have had an 05 clutch slave cylinder on mine for several months now with no ill effects. As you say, it does require you to pull the clutch in fully to disengage as the throw is now longer with the engagement point moved some, but all in all I like the overall feel much better. It may just be a matter of preference, but for me the 06 clutch felt too stiff for my tastes.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=16220

Yamaha changed the diameter of the clutch slave cylinder on the 06 and the end result is the clutch has a shorter engagement range and a stiffer pull.
The part number for the 05 slave cylinder is:

PUSH LEVER COMP.

5JW-16381-00-00

It is a direct replacement for the 06 slave cylinder. All you have to do is remove and replace and bleed/refill the clutch. I ordered it from University Motors for about $45 (701-235-6478) with the FJR discount they give us.

I installed the new (old 05 version) clutch slave cylinder in my 06 and tested with a spring scale. Below you can see photos of both and you can clearly see the diameter difference of the piston.

Measured results

To make clutch handle start to move:

2006 cylinder- 10 lbs

2005 cylinder - 6 lbs

To hold clutch handle to bar

2006 cylinder- 12 lbs

2005 cylinder - 8 lbs

Max force required (mid pull)

2006 cylinder- 16 lbs

2005 cylinder - 12 lbs

large.jpg

In addition to changing the 2006 clutch slave cylinder to the 2004 cylinder with the larger piston, I changed the clutch hydraulic line to a braded stainless steel line to remove any potential for expansion that the original line may present. If you will notice the slave cylinder piston has a hole in the center that is about 1 /4” deep that receives the clutch plate activation rod. I made a spacer from a small bolt that fills this hole about half way to reduce the piston travel about 1/8” before the clutch activation rod begins to operate. I also run silicone DOT 5 brake fluid. With these additional modifications, I can run the clutch lever on position 5 without any adverse effects. The clutch begins to take up about an inch off the hand grip and the clutch lever pull is significantly less.

In addition to changing the 2006 clutch slave cylinder to the 2004 cylinder with the larger piston, I changed the clutch hydraulic line to a braded stainless steel line to remove any potential for expansion that the original line may present. If you will notice the slave cylinder piston has a hole in the center that is about 1 /4” deep that receives the clutch plate activation rod. I made a spacer from a small bolt that fills this hole about half way to reduce the piston travel about 1/8” before the clutch activation rod begins to operate. I also run silicone DOT 5 brake fluid. With these additional modifications, I can run the clutch lever on position 5 without any adverse effects. The clutch begins to take up about an inch off the hand grip and the clutch lever pull is significantly less.
SeniorFJRider, may I ask where you purchased your braided cable? And was it difficult to install? This is all good info. Thanks, PM. <><

SeniorFJRider, may I ask where you purchased your braided cable? And was it difficult to install? This is all good info. Thanks, PM. <><

I purchased my HEL stainless steel braided cable from VancoSport.com for $45. The original combination steel tubing and rubber hose cable was difficult to remove; easier to remove if you plan on throwing it away and don't mind bending the steel tubing portion to get it out. The new HEL cable is easy to install.