Looking for Half Cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Hi all:

I am looking for a decent half cover for my 2006 FJR. I have a Dowco Legend for the Gold Wing and it works great. I want a cover to be 1/2 and go over the shield and the GIVI E52, but also pack up small. I searched and found a reference to a Nelson Rigg, but also looking for other suggestions.

Also, I am looking for a dust cover for indoor use only for my Excelsior Henderson Super X. It is about the same size as the HD Road King and I have a Dowco Blue Dust Cover that works good for others. Are you all using anything you like?

Thanks,

I have a Nelson-Riggs full cover and am not impressed how well it fits over the FJR on the front. Maybe I should have bought the XL but was advised that a L would fit well. Maybe the 1/2 covers, or the XL, fit the FJR better but there are also some nice, albeit pricey, stretchy 1/2 covers available. Search for threads on the topic, there are plenty.

Why would you want to cover the shield?

If it's raining, the bugs get washed off.

Cover the seat(s) and call 'er good.

I love my Nelson Rigg half cover...I only care about covering the windshield, tank, and seat.
My waterproof seat bag and hard bags/trunk stay out in the weather with no issues.

Can't beat it for $35

https://www.newenough.com/parts/accessories...half_cover.html
What size are you using, Mike?
Extra Large

Now personal observations...I fold in my FZ1 mirrors after raising my Cal Sci Med Shield all the way up (so mirrors tuck in under shield)

I tuck the back end of the cover behind the driver portion of seat and loop the four elastic loop tie downs on the passenger pegs and the sliders

No issues for me and it easily fits into its storage pouch of 3x5" or so...if it rains, I leave it in the room while riding and it's dry when I return

If raining on leave day, I shake it a bit, pack it, and pull it out when I get home (if I remember)

still no issues

Also, when traveling, I hook up my 12v chargers to my all on cig plug and charge my mp3, bluetooth dongle, and maybe my iPhone spare battery

All stays in my tank bag on the bike with cover keeping honest eyes honest

I'll go shoot some pics and post them up in a bit...

Why would you want to cover the shield?If it's raining, the bugs get washed off.

Cover the seat(s) and call 'er good.
I, ah, want to cover the few electronic goodies I have

I'm too lazy and trusting to remove basically anything from the bike when it's parked

3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

+1 on the Nelson Rigg half cover. Have been using it everyday for the last two months when I park the bike at work. Kept her nice and dry the other day when a thunderstorm popped up out of nowhere. Packs down small enough that I can put it in the back pocket of my jacket if I want to take the bags off.

+2 on the extra large Nelson Rigg half-cover. Powdered sugar dust can be hard to wash off, especially the weeks we produce Tang.

+4 (?) on the Nelson-Rigg half cover.

I have an XL and it covers the front end snugly and goes over my Givi 52L as well (or without).

It even comes with a snazzy fanny pack to carry it in! (I just put it in the side bag). Rolled up it is about one foot long and 4-5 inches in diameter, so it doesn't take up too much space on the days I choose to carry it.

I did mark the front and rear of the cover with an F and R to make easier to figure out which way it should go on, lol.

Blocks the sun and keep the rain off nicely while staying away from the hot pipes so you can put it on right away after riding.

Another vote for the Nelson-Rigg half cover. The XL fits perfect over my CalSci large shield and Givii V46 box. Packs up small and light- just right.

Thanks for all the info guys. Just to answer Joe, I want to cover the shield as I find the covers stay on best (at least on the Gold Wing) if I just go over the whole front end. Plus, as someone else mentioned, I can leave some gadgets on the bike if all is "out of sight, out of mind".

Thanks again,

Here's one that rolls up into it's own bag and stashes nicely behind the pillion. I got this from an earlier post and it was said there was a quality issue. Maybe they have gotten better? I'm still thinking about this one though.

Clicky

:rolleyes:

I have a shady products half cover that I use, and have been happy with packs down small and they worked with me to make sure I got a cover that would fit the bike right