FJR wont start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candymon

Reaction score
Help Please. My FJR has been perfectly reliable up until this incident. It's a 2003 with only 18,000 miles. Today when I went to start it, I notice the fuel pump did not make the normal priming sound. When I went to hit the start button, the starter motor just kept turning and turning but the engine could not fire. I ran the diagnostics and found 0.0 at diagnostics 09. Meaning the fuel pump is not getting voltage. This makes sense as the normal priming was not occuring when the key was turned to the on position. I've hunted through the service manual but cannot find the fuse to the fuel pump relay, nor can I locate the fuel pump relay. I would appreciate input on what to do to fix this problem and where the fuse and relay are located on the bike. Thanks!!!!

2 fuses affect the fuel pump. The pump itself gets power from the fuel injection fuse, located by itself in front of the battery. It's pictured on page 6-36 of my owner's manual. The relay for the pump is fused by the "ignition" fuse, #3 in the fusebox on the same page of the owner's manual.

The relay itself is not likely to be the culprit. The ignition fuse also powers the gauges, so if they sweep when you turn the bike on, it ain't that one. That leaves the injection fuse in front of the battery, or the pump itself. RadioHowie can show you what a futzed pump looks like, as he had a serious tank rust issue at one time. It's probably the fuse, since you have a "no volts" code. If the fuse is blown, and the replacement blows, then you may have a wiring problem, which will be no fun.

As for the relay, here are the relays under the nose cowl, tested for function while I was doing my Fairing and Cowl Removal thread. In doing that thread I first labeled the relays according to what I found in the service manual, but someone pointed out that I was wrong, so I went back in another time and checked which relay clicked when I did what. These labels are correct, for a 2003, at least.

relaysfixed-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
2 fuses affect the fuel pump. The pump itself gets power from the fuel injection fuse, located by itself in front of the battery. It's pictured on page 6-36 of my owner's manual. The relay for the pump is fused by the "ignition" fuse, #3 in the fusebox on the same page of the owner's manual.
The relay itself is not likely to be the culprit. The ignition fuse also powers the gauges, so if they sweep when you turn the bike on, it ain't that one. That leaves the injection fuse in front of the battery, or the pump itself. RadioHowie can show you what a futzed pump looks like, as he had a serious tank rust issue at one time. It's probably the fuse, since you have a "no volts" code. If the fuse is blown, and the replacement blows, then you may have a wiring problem, which will be no fun.

As for the relay, here are the relays under the nose cowl, tested for function while I was doing my Fairing and Cowl Removal thread. In doing that thread I first labeled the relays according to what I found in the service manual, but someone pointed out that I was wrong, so I went back in another time and checked which relay clicked when I did what. These labels are correct, for a 2003, at least.

relaysfixed-1.jpg
Thanks for your input. I checked the fuse and it is OK. I did notice that there's a diode coming from the wire conector which attaches to this fuse block. Is it possible that the diode is blown, thus not allowing voltage to flow through. My gauges sweep and the lights come on whe the key is turned to on.

Thanks!!

Another observation. When going through the diagnostic and checking all outputs such as radiator fan and headlight. They will not activate when turning stop switch off then on. I took apart the stop switch, cleaned the contacts, checked continuity and all is good. Mystery grows deeper and I could really use some help.

Thanks!!

That's strange. Unlike a lot of bikes, on the Feej if the kill switch is on "kill" it won't crank. You say it cranks but doesn't fire. I don't think it's the switch, but I can't explain the diag mode behavior.

If you've had the bike upside down recently the tip over switch/thingy may be activated. I'm pretty sure the FJR has one of these somewhere; yours may be messed up. It's intended to switch the F pump off in an accident.

Set the run/stop button to STOP and try to crank the engine. If it cranks (spins the starter) the ECU does not see the normally closed run/stop button, this is an error. The starter should not spin the engine with the run/stop in the STOP position.

With the run/stop button in the RUN position turn the key on and watch for the yellow engine warning light; it should illuminate for 1-2 seconds to demonstrate it is working. If the light works, crank the engine and see if the engine light flashes. If it flashes it is indicating that the ECU sees an error condition and the ECU won't let the engine start on some error conditions. In any case, from diAG you need to go to code 61 and look for any stored error codes.

The fuel pump not turning on could be a number of things including the ECU not allowing it to run due to error codes.

The inability of the ECU to toggle things like the radiator fan is odd and at least initially points to the ECU as being defective.

FLASH -- after typing all this BS it suddenly occurs to me that a bad ignition key switch can cause these symptoms! Check diAG 61 for codes, then check the ignition switch. Next steps depend on the outcome of these checks...

And another thing, on the '03 and '04 a couple of the fuses are mis-labeled on the fuse box, I believe one of the mis-labeled fuses is the Signaling System, I don't recall the other right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you test both 15 amp fuses next to the battery's negative post? One is a spare fuse and the other one powers the fuel pump and injectors. I believe the fuse nearest the battery is the fuel injection system fuse. The other fuse is the spare.

You'd likely get an error code if this fuse was blown. As you know when you first switch on the ignition the fuel pump relay is cycled on a few seconds. This relay sends power to three components -- the fuel pump, the injectors, and an input to the ECU.

So if the ECU has powered the fuel system relay coil and it's not getting feedback via the above ECU input then there's an obvious problem and the ECU most likely spits out an error code.

Thank you to everyone for their input. I found the problem. Yea!!!!!!!!! There is connector under the gas tank, close to the front of the tank underneath the T brace. When I wiggeled the connector, the fuel pump began to prime. I think some condensation may have gotten inside as we've had 100 degrees plus high humidity here in Maryland over the past two weeks. My FJR is kept in the garage but it's still humid in there. Anyhow, once I found the connector, I took an emery board and cleaned the contacts, then loaded the connector up with dielectric grease. Now everything works as it should and my baby is back. G-d I love this bike. I was sooo bummed out that it was not working. Thanks again. I took pictures of the wire connector and I'll post them just in case this happens to any one else.

Thanks!!

Dave

Latest posts