'04 Penske 8983 Rear Shock installed on a '13?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRide

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The Penske site distinguishes between an 8983 for an FJR '01-05 then another model number for '06-12. Nothing for '13 and newer.

I have an 8983 on my '04....... anyone know if it will fit onto a '13?

Moves right over McRide.

Do you know which spring is on the shock? Depending on which one you're starting with, you might consider going up one spring rate moving it from the '04 to '13.

~G

thanks G, IIRC, #900 , which would have been weighted for my 215lb
That spring should be more than adequate. FWIW Im running a 850 spring solo, changing to a 950 when two-up and loaded for trips. With the 850 the ride is pretty sporty empty, but just right with bags and loaded up for a trip. Im 195ish plus gear.
~G

As you might figure, I am making some suspension adjustments or more accurately.... the Corbin seat is too low for me and I can't go far enough in a day on the stock seat. So I need to raise the Corbin ride height.

Question: the dogbones on the '13 measure 7 3/8" (hole to hole), compared with 6 3/8" on the '04. So I'm thinking there might be a lowering kit on the '13 but I have no point of reference and both bikes may have been changed out. I can only get the part numbers online, not the length.

Can someone please let me know the stock dogbone length on a '13? And/or what aftermarket length is typical for a height enchanced 6'-2" rider.

I'm thinking about (1) jacking up the rear a bit with shorter dogbones or (2) switching over to the 8983 adjustable shock or (3) changing to a Laam which allows me to use both the low and hight seat settings. The Corbin is fits only on at the low setting.. Just getting my options in order... any help is appreciated!

Keep it simple. Get a proper custom seat made.
Agree....that's sort of what it has distilled down too.... I'm doing a ride-in to Seth Laam in a few weeks, leaving with an LD Comfort Seat on a stock hi-low seat pan. From there, if needed, I'll do the Penske switch-a-roo.