'07 vs. '08: which to buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojoGuzzi

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still thankin' about an FJR. Last fall I was almost ready to pul the trigger, then AGirl's (and others') converns about the altitude sickenss sorta put me off. Tehn at the Morton's BMW open house in October, I met two guys, a Breva and an FJR owner. They'd traded bikes a time or two. The FJR guy said, "Man, the Breva's sweet! Cool that you have one!" The Breva guy said, "The FJR is noticeably heavier to maneuver. Stay w/the Breva."

Then I got into a great conversation with Mike O'Neill in DC at the IMS, in the Yamaha booth. Chatting with him made me rethink thinkin' about it.

As soon as the weather gets decent (don't wanna risk it otherwise), I'm going to rent the '07 FJR that Eagle Rider has on North Boulevard in Richmond for a day. Heck, I'd rather spend $100 or so to ride for 8 hours so I'd KNOW whether I liked it.

Longwinded way to ask: Which is a better strategy, assuming I liked the FJR:

• Buy an '07 Black Cherry, makign sure the warrantied ECU was done
  • Buy an '08 'cause it's so much better

So--just how different is the '08? I'm asking because I think Virginia Yamaha (the old Cliff's) in Richmond has an 07.

TiA

I can't really give you sound advice on the 07 or 08 models but I can tell you this. I recently spent a day in the South Carolina mountains with a young gun on a Ducati 1098 and once in the twisties he got the shock of his life! The FJR when ridden hard can be just as much fun as any sport bike.

If your ever in South Carolina look me up. I'll take you to Table Rock, Ceasars Head and a few other areas to stretch your legs a little.

There's not alot of differences between the '07 and the '08 really, however I hear they did redo the throttle cams on the '08. If you prefer one color over the other, then I don't see why you shouldn't go with the one that looks better to you. I lub my '07 :)

:poster_oops: Replay strikes again :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Table Rock area, having ridden the Appalachian Foothills Parkway (SR 11):

122857199_3366ed4db8.jpg

Will definitely look y'all up.

As far as models are concerned--I do kinda like the black cherry better than the black (my Breva's black, and my Jackal before was black...but I did have a Rosso red Breva 750 in between). So if there are no major diffs, and if I can score a new '07 at a schweet price, and can ensure it has the altitude-sickness mod done, maybe I should go that route.

Thanks mucho for the insight, y'all!

Hey TIA,

I would go with the 08. The throttle is VERY much inproved in that it is MUCH easier to turn, alot less tension. Also, the 08 has a new ABS system on it. This was talked about in the last MC Consumer News article when they had a Sport Touring shoot out between the FJR, C14 and ST. They said that when the ABS goes on (for a 07) it was very violate which lead to feeling loos in the lever causing longer stops. Also, the 08 has transmission improvements to help it shift better. Two other things that may not be to important but they have a better shield that resists scratch's and the instrument bezel is now black to help cut down on reflect of the bezel on the shield.

I will be getting mine in March!

Good Luck

Rob

Thanks, Rob. Good advice--I guess it depends on the price differential, yet your advice makes sense.

FYI, "TIA" means "thanks in advance." :)

Best,

joe

Hi Joe,

I agree that the price differential would make a difference. For me, I do like the 07 color but when I rode it during a Yamaha demo last year at the Americade Rally in Lake George, my wrist hurt only after a 1/2 hour demo ride. So I have been waiting for Yamaha to make the throttle fix. There is ALOT of talk on this borad about how to "fix", I call jury rig, the throttle on GEN II bikes (06 & 07) but I just feel that I shouldn't have to do that after spending my hard earned money.

Anyway, Good Luck on whatever you choose. Let us know! Let me knoiw if you ever make it up to New York!

Peace,

Rob

PS. Thanks for the meaning of "TIA". Didn't know that......see we learn more than FJR stuff from this site...lol

Hi Joe,
I agree that the price differential would make a difference. For me, I do like the 07 color but when I rode it during a Yamaha demo last year at the Americade Rally in Lake George, my wrist hurt only after a 1/2 hour demo ride. So I have been waiting for Yamaha to make the throttle fix. There is ALOT of talk on this borad about how to "fix", I call jury rig, the throttle on GEN II bikes (06 & 07) but I just feel that I shouldn't have to do that after spending my hard earned money.

Anyway, Good Luck on whatever you choose. Let us know! Let me knoiw if you ever make it up to New York!

Peace,

Rob

PS. Thanks for the meaning of "TIA". Didn't know that......see we learn more than FJR stuff from this site...lol
Point well taken on the fix/jury rig-some things need to be researched, fixed and tested by the factory. When you buy a new bike it should be as trouble free as possible. When an OEM has problems on prior year bikes they should make the repair on current production models and let the end user spend their time- money on farkles of choice.

I bought my '04 brand new...did not consider the throttle to be a problem.

What you are hearing are different people's tastes...not a flaw in the bike IMO.

Guzzi,

I have had my 07 since July and put 5,000 miles on her and I have no throttle spring issues at least none that I notice but everyones already got preconcieved notions that there is a problem so if you go into it expecting a problem you will probably find one. I have done 400 mile days with no cruise control with no problems for me. If you could find an 07 with some of the farkles already installed that you would put on it and with the Y.E.S warranty in place along with the ECU fix you could save a great deal of money. I paid $11,000 for a 07 with Garmin 2720 GPS, GIVI Top Box, Russell heated seat, Power Commander,Bar Risers, Highway Pegs, Larger windshield and frame sliders with only 5500 miles. I will gladly spend the $370 for the Y.E.S to complete the bike so deals can be found just be patient.

wheatonfjr,

The throttle issue only effects GEN II bikes. Since you have a 2004 this would not apply to you.

This throttle issue, very well documented on this site and cycle mags., which causes wrist pain and a "on/off" throttle responce is not a question of peoples tastes but a REAL problem. It stems from the fact that Yamaha made an throttle pulley eliptical for no know reason, even if you ask Yamaha. The fix was going to a round throttle pulley, which the 2008 bikes have, leading to much less throttle tension. I can confirm this, as I have turned a few 2008 throttles.

Rob

Go for whatever color makes you happiest. Black Cherry makes me wanna puke. Black, however....

I don't like color, so I've heard. I think I just don't like vehicles that look like they have been painted with fingernail polish.

To each his own.

wheatonfjr,
The throttle issue only effects GEN II bikes. Since you have a 2004 this would not apply to you.

It stems from the fact that Yamaha made an throttle pulley eliptical for no know reason, even if you ask Yamaha. The fix was going to a round throttle pulley, which the 2008 bikes have, leading to much less throttle tension.
IMO, from what I've read, including the ECU issues, the throttle cam was made elliptical because the ECU requires "X" amount of throttle travel every "X" amount of time period in order to take readings and make changes in the fuel mapping (I've read the exact information, but I'm not going to read all of the threads to find it). My theory is that the elliptical throttle cams gave increased movement of the throttle bodies and the ECU was reading that from the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

My guess is that the ECU wasn't programmed correctly from the factory and the issue began to arise when the bikes were ridden at changing altitudes without "certain percentages" of throttle position changes. For instance, on a smooth uphill climb the FJR needs very little change in throttle to continue at a given speed. I believe this is why the "mountsin" or "high altitude" owners reported the first troubles.

This issue was exacerbated by those who changed to the round G-2 Throttle Tube, providing even less throttle travel/movement to the TPS. Once Yamaha sorted out the problem with the ECU, the elliptical throttle tube wasn't necessary.

Now, we know that Yamaha has been providing differently programmed ECU's under warranty. This year the '08s have the updated ECU and a round throttle tube cam. Hmmmmm...it just strengthens my supposition about the problem.

The above should provide smoother throttle transition. However, as an owner of a GENI bike, I still unwound my throttle spring 1 turn. Yes...I'm a "wimpy boy"!

wheatonfjr,

This throttle issue, very well documented on this site and cycle mags., which causes wrist pain and a "on/off" throttle responce is not a question of peoples tastes but a REAL problem. It stems from the fact that Yamaha made an throttle pulley eliptical for no know reason, even if you ask Yamaha. The fix was going to a round throttle pulley, which the 2008 bikes have, leading to much less throttle tension. I can confirm this, as I have turned a few 2008 throttles.

Rob
I have the 07; it's gone through Rocky Mountain National Park without the "altitude" issue. That primarily, from what I've read, is because I don't leave the bike in 5th or 4th gear through mountains. While the bike is more than capable of pulling itself + rider + gear up through the hills, it's then that the ECU has issues. Will I get mine replaced? Certainly. Do I think it's necessary? Not really, but if the '09 or '12 comes out and I want a new one, reselling mine will be easier.

Guess I don't have a comparison to know how difficult it is to pull the throttle back. My wrist hasn't been sore after short stop-n-go traffic in town or through hills.

I'll agree with WheatonFJR, some of this is rider's preference. To inject my opinion, go with the 08 unless they cut you a helluva deal to move the 07 off their floor then make them replace or verify that the ECU work was done. If the throttle is too hard to pull back on the 07, compare it to the 08. I think it's that simple.

:drinks:

I bought my '04 brand new...did not consider the throttle to be a problem.
What you are hearing are different people's tastes...not a flaw in the bike IMO.
not a matter of taste but a real flaw on 06 bikes my 06 throttle was annoying in everyday riding and out right dangerous riding on slick surfaces and corners and yes the return spring was somewhat heavy but I could tolerate that-the abrupt throttle and uneven throttle was another matter though

Had a conversation with my local dealer (https://www.viginiahondayamaha.com -- walking distance from my house). He has an '07 A and an 07 AE, and he's got an 08 A on order.

Prices he quoted:

2007 A: $13, 140 OTD (includes tax/freight/license/prep)

2008 A: MSRP ($13,899) plus tax/freight/license/prep

Y.E.S.:

1 yr: $440

2 yr: $520

3 yr: $620 (but, actually, $520 in that if you buy 2yr, they'll throw in the third year free)

4 yr: $720

Heated grip kit: $390 + labor @ $79/hour

So, there you are. Not what I'd thought I'd be presented with, but, hey, it's his business. Maybe an '08 from D&H does make sense--cheap flight to Atlanta, have my brother drive me over to Cullman, and ride 'er back to Richmond. I didn't press the dealer on the price, but when I asked to "talk numbers," he pointed at the '07's "special price" tag and said, "Well, there you are." So I'm thinking that they might not move too much off the prices.

I've also sent an email to Eagle Riders Richmond, hoping to rent his '07 A on Saturday.

Had a conversation with my local dealer (https://www.viginiahondayamaha.com -- walking distance from my house). He has an '07 A and an 07 AE, and he's got an 08 A on order.
Prices he quoted:

2007 A: $13, 140 OTD (includes tax/freight/license/prep)

2008 A: MSRP ($13,899) plus tax/freight/license/prep

Y.E.S.:

1 yr: $440

2 yr: $520

3 yr: $620 (but, actually, $520 in that if you buy 2yr, they'll throw in the third year free)

4 yr: $720

Heated grip kit: $390 + labor @ $79/hour

So, there you are. Not what I'd thought I'd be presented with, but, hey, it's his business. Maybe an '08 from D&H does make sense--cheap flight to Atlanta, have my brother drive me over to Cullman, and ride 'er back to Richmond. I didn't press the dealer on the price, but when I asked to "talk numbers," he pointed at the '07's "special price" tag and said, "Well, there you are." So I'm thinking that they might not move too much off the prices.

I've also sent an email to Eagle Riders Richmond, hoping to rent his '07 A on Saturday.

Hey Moto..

I checked out new bikes all over Virginia before buying used here in the area. I narrowed my choices down to a new 06ae and 07a used. I fell into a deal and the dealer actually wanted to compete with a used bike just because they wanted to move a bike that month. IMHO I think you should be able to do better on the 07 $ and the Y.E.S. seems high even for a retail price. I gather from other threads that you are not limited to purchasing YES from that dealer and have heard tha UMotors has good $'s. I would jsut let color and/or $ decide since <=350.00 can improve the bike by much more than that and after experiencing the PCIII, I would want to purchase one anyway. If that fixes/improves the 07a and is an expense you were going to incurr anyway, then the 07 becomes even a better value. At your OTD price, I would ask the dealer to throw in the heated grips(installed) and at very least 20% off 4 year YES. It has worked for me to be up front with the dealer and let him/her know that you are willing to travel outside of the area as a matter of principal alone and that I do NOT consider the time or travel expenses in the cost of the bike as 'Iwould travel to visit family, go to quote a job, vacation..... anyway.' Just be aware that you may tick off your local dealer and YES repairs may mysteriously take more time.

Just my thoughts. Say if you travel through this area, let me know.

John